New engine: Clover

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lucametehau
Full name: Metehau Luca

Re: New engine: Clover

Post by lucametehau »

Hello again!

Found a major tt bug that should affect tournament play, thanks to Connor, Seer author. :D

Link: https://github.com/lucametehau/CloverEn ... tag/v2.3.1
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

Thanks, though I'm unsure this resolves the issues I was experiencing... Were you able to reproduce the buggy moves by filling the hash with entries from earlier searches? And did this change fix it? Making a new release when your testing indicates maybe -2 elo doesn't make a lot of sense imo.

I just pointed out a position where Clover played a buggy move in a match at LTC on 1th. There were several other positions where clear blunders were played that were irreproducible from the given position in my testing suggesting some issue with the transposition table entries being corrupted or not entered with correct bounds or possibly zobrist collisions. Perhaps the issue was specific to my Linux compile. I'm unsure.
lucametehau

Post by lucametehau »

What was wrong, was that I was not correctly reseting age when starting a new game, so this affected the tt entries by a lot.

I played the exact same game as you showed me and this time Clover didn't blunder so I hope this bug is gone :D
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

connor_mcmonigle wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:26 pm Thanks, though I'm unsure this resolves the issues I was experiencing...
funny thing is that aging is not even called, because it's commented out :) so this fix solves absolutely nothing
Martin Sedlak
lucametehau

Post by lucametehau »

mar wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:13 pm
connor_mcmonigle wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:26 pm Thanks, though I'm unsure this resolves the issues I was experiencing...
funny thing is that aging is not even called, because it's commented out :) so this fix solves absolutely nothing
Ah I age the tt when the go command is given (check uci.h). I think you looked at search.h and saw on line 720 TT->age() commented :D
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

lucametehau wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:36 pm Ah I age the tt when the go command is given (check uci.h). I think you looked at search.h and saw on line 720 TT->age() commented :D
ok right, I missed that. either way I very much doubt aging would be the problem here (blundering), so I'd probably look elsewhere.
I simply clear hashtable on ucinewgame btw
Martin Sedlak
lucametehau

Post by lucametehau »

mar wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:42 pm
lucametehau wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:36 pm Ah I age the tt when the go command is given (check uci.h). I think you looked at search.h and saw on line 720 TT->age() commented :D
ok right, I missed that. either way I very much doubt aging would be the problem here (blundering), so I'd probably look elsewhere.
I simply clear hashtable on ucinewgame btw
Well about the blundering, I think you might be right, there might be another bug. Still, I don't see why not reseting the age before a new game wouldn't be considered a bug. Reseting it makes the engine more stable (maybe I can get some results from ctt now :D ).
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

After only 16 games in my test....

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

lucametehau

Clover 2.4

Post by lucametehau »

New version of Clover is here: https://github.com/lucametehau/CloverEn ... s/tag/v2.4. It is 100+ elo stronger than the previous version and I hope that it's at least 50 elo stronger against other engines. :D
Tell me if there are any problems! :D