New engine: Clover

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

Re: New engine: Clover

Post by jshriver »

After i sucessfully built win64-bmi and pi4 builds.
I love its playing style as different, and but more aggressive so i sucked as white, I prefer to turtke as black and ate a lot quicker than stockfish or lc0 on my 1650.

Game style is unique, im scared if it adds its own nnue
lucametehau
Full name: Metehau Luca

Post by lucametehau »

Nice and weird at the same time. :D All the games I played, Clover beat me positionally in all of them. I would even say that it sucks at tactics, seeing it play with other engines... Hope you had fun playing! :D
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Starting a quick 1 thread test versus Wasp 4.50 after watching it destroy Benjamin. :wink:

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by lucametehau »

Hello again!

Clover 2.3 has been released and it should be about 50 elo stronger in self-play than Clover 2.2 (tc=10+0.1, other ones might differ). New features:
  • pawn hash
  • incremental material update
  • some time management
and many bugfixes.

Link:https://github.com/lucametehau/CloverEn ... s/tag/v2.3
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

lucametehau wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:13 am Hello again!

Clover 2.3 has been released and it should be about 50 elo stronger in self-play than Clover 2.2 (tc=10+0.1, other ones might differ). New features:
  • pawn hash
  • incremental material update
  • some time management
and many bugfixes.

Link:https://github.com/lucametehau/CloverEn ... s/tag/v2.3
You published two sources: Clover2.3.zip and CloverEngine2.3.zip. They are different and they compile into different exes. The exes you provide are different from both. Even the version numbers differ (2.2dev vs. 2.3).
I also don't understand why you provide a native exe. That may be native to your computer but not native for others. In fact it looks like you don't know what you are doing. Quite odd from someone who has created a 3100 engine 'from scratch' in a very short time.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
lucametehau

Post by lucametehau »

Hello Gabor,

Let me clarify a few things.
This was my first serious github project, so I am still learning (In the beggining I didn't even know how to create different compiles :? ), just last week I learned about makefile.

The native exe I provide just for fun (I know it might not work for others, that's what I wrote in readme), use it at your own risk tho (I can remove it, if there is no need for it).

As I said before, I didn't create this engine in a very short time, I spend over a year doing so. 2.1 was the first thing I released, because the other versions had many bugs and weren't worth looking at.

About the zips, they differ because I often forget to update master code before creating a new release, you are not the only one to tell me that (I will create a new release, with the correct Source Code, if you want tho). I will add a note in the readme to use the zip I provide and not the Source Code (though I should have done this a long time ago). Also, I will edit the release code when I find a small bug, tho I shouldn't do that, so this is one more reason to not use Source Code.

Sorry for the caused inconvenience! :(
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

lucametehau wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:14 am About the zips, they differ because I often forget to update master code before creating a new release, you are not the only one to tell me that (I will create a new release, with the correct Source Code, if you want tho). I will add a note in the readme to use the zip I provide and not the Source Code (though I should have done this a long time ago). Also, I will edit the release code when I find a small bug, tho I shouldn't do that, so this is one more reason to not use Source Code.
It is of prime importance that the source you provide (not the master!) compiles into exactly the same exe as the exe you provide (I mean same in behaviour, not byte for byte of course).
I suggest you remove one of the sources under 'Releases' (preferably Clover 2.3.zip).
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

On my PC:
AVX2
BMI2

Over 3100 Elo points ! That's for sure. BRAVO !
lucametehau

Post by lucametehau »

Ok, I reuploaded the release. I checked and now Source Code should produce the same exes as the ones I provide :D . If not tell me!

Sorry again for the inconvenience! :oops:
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

lucametehau wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:15 pm Ok, I reuploaded the release. I checked and now Source Code should produce the same exes as the ones I provide :D . If not tell me!

Sorry again for the inconvenience! :oops:
Thank you.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group