New engine: Clover

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: New engine: Clover

Post by Gabor Szots »

lucametehau wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:59 pm I think you should add *.c to your command line, because I have tprobe.c and tbcore.c.
That was it, I missed the c files. Thank you very much.

BTW, my 64-bit compile is twice as fast as the 32-bit one you provide. I'm going to use mine if you don't mind.

A question: what does the weights.txt file?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
lucametehau
Full name: Metehau Luca

Post by lucametehau »

I used it for printing my evaluation params when tuning, but it doesn't have any other use.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

lucametehau wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:26 pm I used it for printing my evaluation params when tuning, but it doesn't have any other use.
Ah, but it is created again after deletion.

BTW, I had to put #include <math.h> in main.cpp to get rid of some more compiler error messages.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
lucametehau

Post by lucametehau »

Yes, I know. I created a new release, which hopefully compiles normally.

Download link: https://github.com/lucametehau/CloverEngine/releases. I would recommend using this version. :D
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

lucametehau wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:59 pm I think you should add *.c to your command line, because I have tprobe.c and tbcore.c.
I had no problems with compiling, but my compilation always crashes immediately the same with the strange
32-bit 2.1 and 2.1.1 release. The FM version from two weeks ago did still run here. This is on old no-popcount hardware with Win-7.
(Ofc I compiled for this hardware and after it crashed at first time, I even added an explicit no popcount flag to no avail.)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Guenther wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:04 pm I had no problems with compiling, but my compilation always crashes immediately the same with the strange
32-bit release.
My 64-bit compile also crashed but after removing the weights file it was OK.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
lucametehau

Post by lucametehau »

Try using my newer release version, it should be okay (I tested on a friend's pc). Also, I think thread scaling is fine and multithreading could be used if you want, but I can't guarantee! :D
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

lucametehau wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:09 pm Try using my newer release version, it should be okay (I tested on a friend's pc). Also, I think thread scaling is fine and multithreading could be used if you want, but I can't guarantee! :D
No it always crashes also after removing the weights file. This is done now with the source of 2.1.1 AND with the released binary again.

BTW how much code was directly used from the *inspiring* programs?
When I looked at it three weeks ago I found several traces, but no comments.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
lucametehau

Post by lucametehau »

Latest master commit should solve this (I forgot to add weights.txt to source :( ). Regarding inspiration, search function is mostly inspired from Ethereal, i won't negate this. Also, I will try to add as many comments as possible (the small number of comments is because I don't usually comment my code).
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

I'd be grateful if you had only one fork, I never know if I should go the Clover or CloverEngine way. Also, under Releases we have two zips to download, again I don't know which to use, they are different.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group