Komodo Dragon 2 released.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Re: Komodo Dragon 2 released.

Post by Cornfed »

Cornfed wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:47 pm
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 pm When the new version of the program, because Komodo 2 is so weak, it is a pity to use it. Gentlemen of Komodo, accelerate the pace of your work.
LOL!

1. Komodo 2 is ancient, goes back many years. Try Dragon 2.
2. It (Dragon 2) is clearly NOT weak.
3. Don't use it then...what do you use engines for anyway? Engine vs Engine play? If so...sorry to hear that - there is no sport in it...it's like 'watching a basketball game' the only sport is on the court. If you use them to hide behind while playing, thinking YOU have accomplished something at the end of the day....well, most across the world find better things to do with their time. Try actual human vs human play...it's the bees knees!
Too late to edit so I'll repost to add: Komodo 2's CCRL rating was around 3000. If you consider that 'weak'....perhaps your rating is...what...3500? Perhaps you could play a match against it and share for all to see...what 'weak' really means (?) :roll:
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 pm When the new version of the program, because Komodo 2 is so weak, it is a pity to use it.
I don’t even understand what this is supposed to mean. Are you asking when there will be a new version of Komodo or was this going to be an introduction to a longer sentence that’s somehow gone missing?
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

I mean Dragon 2. It's even worse and weaker than Dragon - in the first release.
Cornfed

Post by Cornfed »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:54 am I mean Dragon 2. It's even worse and weaker than Dragon - in the first release.
Of course everyone KNOWS what you meant...'it's a pity' you said it so poorly.

However, you do not appear to have read WHY Dragon 2 was released. It has value to those who use it for certain purposes as some items got a nice improvement.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Cornfed wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:38 pm Of course everyone KNOWS what you meant...'it's a pity' you said it so poorly.

However, you do not appear to have read WHY Dragon 2 was released. It has value to those who use it for certain purposes as some items got a nice improvement.
What you write nonsense and stupidity. Not interested in improvements, I'm interested in the power of the game.
Cornfed

Post by Cornfed »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:08 pm
Cornfed wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:38 pm Of course everyone KNOWS what you meant...'it's a pity' you said it so poorly.

What you write nonsense and stupidity. Not interested in improvements, I'm interested in the power of the game.
I'll take that as a compliment....

Explain "the power of the game"? I presume English is not your native language...which means you need to stick more to specifics and less to generalities if you actually want people to understand....otherwise, you tend to sound like a crank.
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

Cornfed wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 pm Explain "the power of the game"? I presume English is not your native language...which means you need to stick more to specifics and less to generalities if you actually want people to understand....otherwise, you tend to sound like a crank.
I forgot what people used to say before the social media era but: +1 :!:
Krzysztof Grzelak

Cornfed wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 pm Explain "the power of the game"? I presume English is not your native language...which means you need to stick more to specifics and less to generalities if you actually want people to understand....otherwise, you tend to sound like a crank.
If not you understand what I am writing, about it I am sorry.
the_real_greco
Full name: Andy!

Post by the_real_greco »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:09 pm
If not you understand what I am writing, about it I am sorry.
There are people out there (including me and you) who have interest in engine tournaments or correspondence chess. We only get excited when an engine is stronger compared to other engines. But we are the minority.

For everybody else, it's more important to have a engine that is easier to use. Or can come up with new ideas. Or something. Whether Dragon 2 was +100 or +0 Elo against Dragon 1, doesn't really matter.

And it's the second group of people that will buy more copies of Dragon. So it should be no surprise that a new Dragon version, has updates targeted to them.
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

lkaufman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:53 pm We believe that the MultiPV search is now more effective than the Stockfish MultiPV search, and that if MultiPV is set to more than 4
Dragon 2 is now the favorite against Stockfish 13 on typical modern hardware.
I did a huge, experimental RoundRobin tournament with 3 engines (Stockfish 13, KomodoDragon 1.0 and KomodoDragon 2.0), each with 4 different MultiPV-settings (1-4, were 1 is the normal, default playing mode). Goal: Measure, how much Elo is lost by calculating more than on PV-line. And to measure, if Dragon 2.0 has less Elo-loss here, than Dragon 1.0, and if Dragon 2.0 is on one Elo-level with Stockfish 13, when both engines are running with MultiPV=4.
Tournament with 2'+1'' thinking-time on an old QuadcoreCPU, singelthread-mode, no ponder, no bases (except for cutechess-cli, to end a game), cutechess-cli, classical 4 moves deep openings, played by humans (out of Megabase 2020, both players 2400 Elo or better). 100 rounds = 6600 games played.

See the results (and download the games) on my website:

https://www.sp-cc.de/experiments.htm