How many engines will Sacrifice the Rook to win?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Re: How many engines will Sacrifice the Rook to win?

Post by RubiChess »

Chessqueen wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:21 am The point here is that by trading the Rook, it will force the other engine to resign immediately :roll:
An (UCI-)engine canNOT resign.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

amanjpro wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:43 am
Chessqueen wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:21 am
mvanthoor wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:41 am You don't _have_ to sacrifice the rook to win. You just go Rh5+ (covering your a-pawn in the process) and then you just start pushing the f-pawn. Done. There is completely _no_ reason to sacrifice the rook. If white goes after the e6-pawn, black will capture the d4-pawn, and the f7-f5-f4-etc pawn will already be long out of reach of the black king.

PS: Stash demonstrates it already; it starts out with Rh5+, and in the end even switches to f5 immediately.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever made a... somewhat useful post with regard to actual chess.
I know that there is a faster win, but that is NOT what this post is all about. Just like Black Diamonds and other engines, what i am looking for is an engine that consider the immediate Rxd4!. As I posted earlier, there might be a quicker win, but by sacrificing the Rook show that some engines are not too materialistic. The point here is that by trading the Rook, it will force the other engine to resign immediately :roll:
mmm... `Rxd4!` is actually `Rxd4?`, as it is not the quickest win! BTW, I believe you need to learn the ABC of chess, then programming, then come back
I will try to answer you in the most polite way I can. Rxd4 is NOT a blunder, sometimes top GMs also use this to show their opponent that even by giving them a Bishop, Knight or a Rook that their game is hopeless. Not that it is the fastest or quickest way to win, but it it a way to let their opponent in a polite way to make them realize that their game is hopeless. And already I see some engine employing this technique, not that it was found in the endgame EGTB which I doubt. Check move 120.......Rxd4! clever way to force the opponent engine to resign ==>
https://tcec-chess.com/#div=q43t&game=294&season=21

Note: You might be correct I need to learn the ABC of chess, after you learn to read what the poster is posting, just in case you forgot, I did NOT asked what is the fastest or quicker win. and finally even if you know how to program in one or two languages, do NOT feel like you are the smartest on this forum. I took Fortran, Cobol, RPG, Pascal, C and C++, assembler, when I was studying computer programming back in the 80's, and finally I programmed in ADA language when I joined the Air Force. I am not interested in writing a chess engine, but with my background in programming I could easily make a decent engine.
Last edited by Chessqueen on Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who is 17 years old GM Gukesh 2nd at the Candidate in Toronto?
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... t-9281394/
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

mvanthoor wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:41 am You don't _have_ to sacrifice the rook to win. You just go Rh5+ (covering your a-pawn in the process) and then you just start pushing the f-pawn. Done. There is completely _no_ reason to sacrifice the rook. If white goes after the e6-pawn, black will capture the d4-pawn, and the f7-f5-f4-etc pawn will already be long out of reach of the black king.

PS: Stash demonstrates it already; it starts out with Rh5+, and in the end even switches to f5 immediately.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever made a... somewhat useful post with regard to actual chess.
I know that there is a faster win, but that is NOT what this post is all about. Just like Black Diamonds and other engines, what i am looking for is an engine that consider the immediate Rxd4!. As I posted earlier, there might be a quicker win, but by sacrificing the Rook show that some engines are not too materialistic. The point here is that by trading the Rook, it will force the other engine to resign immediately :roll:
I am not going to sacrifice the rook also against human opponent.
I see no reason to do it.
It is even not a simpler win if I sacrifice the rook and if the opponent does not resign if I do not sacrifice the rook then I guess the opponent is not going to resign also if I sacrifice the rook.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Uri Blass wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:38 pm

I am not going to sacrifice the rook also against human opponent.
I see no reason to do it.
It is even not a simpler win if I sacrifice the rook and if the opponent does not resign if I do not sacrifice the rook then I guess the opponent is not going to resign also if I sacrifice the rook.
That is very logical, everybody think differently, Back in 1997 when I watched Young Nakamura playing against a low 1400, Nakamura was close to 1790 and in a winning endgame he decided to give a free Bishop to his opponent, and after he still had an extra pawn, his opponent being a stubborn middle age man in his 40's decided to continue, Young Nakamura was getting hungry and told his trainer this old loser does NOT want to realize that his position is lost even after I gave him my bishop, I am getting hungry can you please get me a burger from Burger King so I can show him how to win with an extra pawn, and his trainer and step father went to get young Nakamura a burger and a drink

Note: After Kxd4 ..f5! and with the help of the Black King it is an easy win for Black.
Last edited by Chessqueen on Sun May 09, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

karger wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:06 pm :roll: :roll: 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 :mrgreen: 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 💩 :roll: :lol: 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
You are very funny, but i prefer this sound instead ==>
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

Chessqueen wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:35 pm You might be correct I need to learn the ABC of chess, after you learn to read what the poster is posting, just in case you forgot, I did NOT asked what is the fastest or quicker win.
True, but what you DID ask shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the function of every A/B chess engine - to find the "best move". In many positions, that can be unclear. But in this position, there is no question that it is the move that leads to the fastest win, which is f5 (mate in 11). Rxd4 is a mate in 17, so it is clearly not as good (by the definition of every A/B chess engine).

YOU might decide to define "best move" as "simplifies while still maintaining a winning position". But no chess engine will, other than one that is specially written as an amusement to the author.
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

RubiChess wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:05 pm An (UCI-)engine canNOT resign.
Indeed, but some user interfaces do resign for the engine. (It's at least an option in both Fritz and Shredder's GUI.)
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

JVMerlino wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:29 am
Chessqueen wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:35 pm You might be correct I need to learn the ABC of chess, after you learn to read what the poster is posting, just in case you forgot, I did NOT asked what is the fastest or quicker win.
True, but what you DID ask shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the function of every A/B chess engine - to find the "best move". In many positions, that can be unclear. But in this position, there is no question that it is the move that leads to the fastest win, which is f5 (mate in 11). Rxd4 is a mate in 17, so it is clearly not as good (by the definition of every A/B chess engine).

YOU might decide to define "best move" as "simplifies while still maintaining a winning position". But no chess engine will, other than one that is specially written as an amusement to the author.
You are correct, I should have asked which other engine select the non fastest win and illogical Rx4? sacrifice beside Classic Ara? Please check move 120.....Rxd4? :roll:
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

mvanthoor wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:15 pm
Indeed, but some user interfaces do resign for the engine. (It's at least an option in both Fritz and Shredder's GUI.)

And that is very smart, since what is the point to continue after 120.....Rxd4 121. Kxd4 f5! Please check move 120.....Rxd4 :roll:
mhouppin
Full name: Morgan Houppin

Post by mhouppin »

Chessqueen wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 pm
mvanthoor wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:15 pm

And that is very smart, since what is the point to continue after 120.....Rxd4 121. Kxd4 f5! Please check move 120.....Rxd4 :roll:
Except... Guess what ? ClassicAra played it because it was using Syzygy Tablebases and 121. Kxd4 is a 6-man TB win. It wasn't even considering recapturing the Rook as best, since it was ending the game instantly because of TB adjudication. Case closed.