An own chess server?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

An own chess server?

Post by KLc »

Hi,

I have a pool of (Linux, UCI) chess engines that I would love to play remotely from my cell phone (maybe with a proper chess set aside). I was wondering about solutions to this. I have a web server running Linux, so some sort of web interface with chess board and where I can select from various engines and set time control would be perfect. Is there anything like this? Installing an own lichess server may work but this seems to me as an overkill at the moment and the engine integration via bots is also a bit annoying. I'd prefer something simple.
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Re: An own chess server?

Post by amanjpro »

KLc wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:44 pm Hi,

I have a pool of (Linux, UCI) chess engines that I would love to play remotely from my cell phone (maybe with a proper chess set aside). I was wondering about solutions to this. I have a web server running Linux, so some sort of web interface with chess board and where I can select from various engines and set time control would be perfect. Is there anything like this? Installing an own lichess server may work but this seems to me as an overkill at the moment and the engine integration via bots is also a bit annoying. I'd prefer something simple.

GNU FICS maybe?
KLc

Post by KLc »

Do you have a link? I know FICS of course but I don't know how/what to install. And isn't this XBoard only!?
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

KLc wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:10 pm Do you have a link? I know FICS of course but I don't know how/what to install. And isn't this XBoard only!?
XBoard has UCI adapter
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

You can configure remote network engines under Droidfish and calculate using your PC hardware.

I've tested it - works fine, but prefer using a remote session to see my desktop through an encrypted VPN to play or analyze on my home hardware when away.

Perhaps one of these options will suit your needs.
Mike
“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” ― Mark Twain
KLc

Post by KLc »

mbabigian wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:17 pm You can configure remote network engines under Droidfish and calculate using your PC hardware.

I've tested it - works fine, but prefer using a remote session to see my desktop through an encrypted VPN to play or analyze on my home hardware when away.

Perhaps one of these options will suit your needs.
Mike
Droidfish looks promising. Is there anything similar for iOS? I don't have an Android.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Lichess bots :D
KLc

Post by KLc »

xr_a_y wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:29 pm Lichess bots :D
Well, I was actually thinking about this but too much fiddling. There's no convenient way to manage several engines; I would have to setup a separate account for each of them.