Most aggressive Whittington / Schroeder

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Most aggressive Whittington / Schroeder

Post by Werewolf »

I'm doing work on a quantitative "aggression test". It involves beating a 2100 FIDE Elo engine in certain positions and shows an engine's tendencies towards king attacks. It doesn't test for strength.

What is the most aggressive chess engine out there, over 2700 elo? I was wondering if Ed & Chris had cooked something up in this department...is the new CS_Tal still private for instance?
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Re: Most aggressive Whittington / Schroeder

Post by pohl4711 »

Werewolf wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:21 pm I'm doing work on a quantitative "aggression test". It involves beating a 2100 FIDE Elo engine in certain positions and shows an engine's tendencies towards king attacks. It doesn't test for strength.

What is the most aggressive chess engine out there, over 2700 elo? I was wondering if Ed & Chris had cooked something up in this department...is the new CS_Tal still private for instance?
No need for another quantitative aggression test. I did it already:
https://www.sp-cc.de/files/engines_aggr ... cs_tool.7z
Most aggressive engines can be found here:
https://www.sp-cc.de/eas-ratinglist.htm

Look at the alltime Top10 EAS list, there the most aggressive Rebel can be found. It is Rebel 14.1

EAS Tool does this:

The tool is searching for sacrifices in games (from 1 pawnunit-sacs up to 5+ pawnunit-sacs and Queen-sacs) and for won games, which are very short (split into games up to 40/45/50/55/60 moves). And for "bad draws" in games (explanation below). Because a weaker player can be playing aggressive, too, the EAS-Score (= Engine Aggressivenes Score, see explanation below) and all other statistics are build on percents from the won games of an engine/player. So, if an engine has won more games, it must win more short games or win games with sacrifices. A weaker engine, which has won less games, need less wins of short games or win games with sacrifices.

EAS-Score is: (percent*100) of the percent-values of the sacs (1-5+ pawnunits) calculated out of the won games by the engine, only. So, a weak engine (with a small number of won games) can get a high EAS-scoring, too, when the percent of sac-games in the won games is high (and the number of short wins). Higher pawnunits-sacs give bonus-points:
1 pawnsac = 2x points *** 2 pawnsac = 10x points *** 3 pawnsac = 20x points
4 pawnsac = 40x points *** 5+ pawnsac = 80x points *** 5+ Queensac = 150x points
Additionally, very short won games (percent*100) give bonus-points. If the short games ended before endgame (a check for low material is done), then these points are quadrupled (4x):
60 moves= 1x points *** 55 moves= 2x points *** 50 moves= 5x points
45 moves= 10x points *** 40 moves= 30x points.
Since V4.1, the tool also searches for "bad draws" and adds points for the good draws ((percent of good draws (out of all draws)) exp3 /15)

Bad draws are games, which were drawn before endgame was reached (except the games, were the engine had a material disadvantage of at least 1 pawn (because draws with material disadvantage prevented a possible loss)) and draws after the engine had a material advantage of at least 1 pawn (because the engine should win a game, if material was won) in the game.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

pohl4711 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:35 pm
Werewolf wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:21 pm I'm doing work on a quantitative "aggression test". It involves beating a 2100 FIDE Elo engine in certain positions and shows an engine's tendencies towards king attacks. It doesn't test for strength.

Look at the alltime Top10 EAS list, there the most aggressive Rebel can be found. It is Rebel 14.1

EAS Tool does this:

The tool is searching for sacrifices in games (from 1 pawnunit-sacs up to 5+ pawnunit-sacs and Queen-sacs) and for won games, which are very short (split into games up to 40/45/50/55/60 moves). And for "bad draws" in games (explanation below). Because a weaker player can be playing aggressive, too, the EAS-Score (= Engine Aggressivenes Score, see explanation below) and all other statistics are build on percents from the won games of an engine/player. So, if an engine has won more games, it must win more short games or win games with sacrifices. A weaker engine, which has won less games, need less wins of short games or win games with sacrifices.

EAS-Score is: (percent*100) of the percent-values of the sacs (1-5+ pawnunits) calculated out of the won games by the engine, only. So, a weak engine (with a small number of won games) can get a high EAS-scoring, too, when the percent of sac-games in the won games is high (and the number of short wins). Higher pawnunits-sacs give bonus-points:
4 pawnsac = 40x points *** 5+ pawnsac = 80x points *** 5+ Queensac = 150x points
Additionally, very short won games (percent*100) give bonus-points. If the short games ended before endgame (a check for low material is done), then these points are quadrupled (4x):
Since V4.1, the tool also searches for "bad draws" and adds points for the good draws ((percent of good draws (out of all draws)) exp3 /15)

Bad draws are games, which were drawn before endgame was reached (except the games, were the engine had a material disadvantage of at least 1 pawn (because draws with material disadvantage prevented a possible loss)) and draws after the engine had a material advantage of at least 1 pawn (because the engine should win a game, if material was won) in the game.
Thanks!

So Velvet is the most aggressive engine? Funny name for an aggressive opponent...

Did you test HIARCS 15 + book by any chance?
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Werewolf wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:47 pm

EAS Tool does this:

Thanks!

So Velvet is the most aggressive engine? Funny name for an aggressive opponent...

Did you test HIARCS 15 + book by any chance?

Paying so much money for an outdated non-nnue Hiarcs engine (including a GUI, I dont want), no thanks. And I find it ridiculous, to raise the already very high price much higher for making the engine using 16 or 32 Threads... I will not support such nonsense. If M.Uniacke want a Hiarcs Testrun in my ratinglist, he must send me a free (or much cheaper) engine binary without the GUI.

Velvet 4.0.0, Pedone 3.0 and Uralochka 3.37c are the most aggressive engines right now. NOT Velvet 4.1.0, Pedone 3.1 and Uralochka 3.38c!!!
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

He "must"?
No, he must not. But you could possibly ask for a free copy. This helps.
Your behaviour is arrogant and disgusting 🥱
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Wolfgang wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:06 pm He "must"?
No, he must not. But you could possibly ask for a free copy. This helps.
Your behaviour is arrogant and disgusting 🥱

Perhaps try to read and understand a complete sentence. If M.Uniacke wants me to test Hiarcs, he must send me a cheaper or free copy . If he wants no test by me (and that is complete fine, of course), he must nothing. And he does not seem to get Hiarcs tested by me. So what? I am not interested in this outdated engine with its outdated prize-model and the author of Hiarcs is not interested in my ratinglist. No problem for me.

And just for information: I never asked anybody for a free copy and never will, because I am not a beggar. I am a Komodo subscriber since years, even though the developers use my (free for everybody) UHO openings for developing. I buy Fritz GUIs and engines. I buy Revenge. If an engine author (like Andy Grant, Ethereal for example) offer me a free copy of his engine, this is of course much appreciated.
And I always thank A.Grant on my website, after receiving a free copy of Ethereal. And I give my UHO and other AntiDraw openings to the community for free. And my SacrificeGameSearch Tool and my EAS tool. All free for everybody. How arrogant and disgusting is this?
hafni
Full name: Hafni Rojo

Post by hafni »

+ 1 Surely this person has a bad level of English so the misunderstanding,
but even his reaction is too extreme. :roll:
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

@Stefan: your contribution to computerchess is without doubt and you exactly know that I did not refer to this.

Your wording (ridicoulous, nonsens and so on) towards Hiarcs and its author is what I said, arrogant and disgusting.

EoD
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

hafni wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:27 pm + 1 Surely this person has a bad level of English so the misunderstanding,
but even his reaction is too extreme. :roll:
Bad level of English? Laughing out loud...
There is definetely no misunderstanding. :twisted:
Best
Wolfgang
CEGT-Team
www.cegt.net
www.cegt.forumieren.com
swami

Post by swami »

EAS Tool does this:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.