Chess960 in Mainz

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tord Romstad

Chess960 in Mainz

Post by Tord Romstad »

I still haven't heard anything about a computer tournament in Mainz this year, and I can't find any information about it on http://www.chesstigers.com. Does anyone know whether there will be a computer tournament this year?

Tord
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Chess960 in Mainz

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hi Tord,

I know there was a preliminary date set for August 16 and 17 this year, as we can read here post from Mark Vogelesang: http://f51.parsimony.net/forum204700/index.htm

Maybe you can post something there! But first there is the ICT in Leiden later this month and the World Championship in Amsterdam: http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/event.php?id=40 Any chance that you will be participating or is the new Glaurung program not going to be in shape in time?

Regards, Eelco
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Hello Eelco!
Eelco de Groot wrote:I know there was a preliminary date set for August 16 and 17 this year, as we can read here post from Mark Vogelesang: http://f51.parsimony.net/forum204700/index.htm

Maybe you can post something there!
I'm not allowed to post there, but of course I can try to send an e-mail to Mark. I think I'll do that. :)
But first there is the ICT in Leiden later this month and the World Championship in Amsterdam: http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/event.php?id=40 Any chance that you will be participating
I won't participate in either of these two tournaments, but I will participate in the OPCCC at the end of June. :)
or is the new Glaurung program not going to be in shape in time?
It's in decent shape already, and won against Glaurung 1.2.1 on a single CPU in my latest test match. All I need now is a rainy weekend for implementing a parallel search...

Tord
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

"is the new Glaurung program not going to be in shape in time?"

It's in decent shape already, and won against Glaurung 1.2.1 on a single CPU in my latest test match. All I need now is a rainy weekend for implementing a parallel search...

Tord
Wow !

So you are advancing much faster than what you told us when announcing the beginning of the new glaurung!

Did you consider supporting polyglot books natively for this new one ?

Will there be any (more or less) public beta soon ?

...we all can't wait for testing the new baby!

Congrats

Marc
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Marc Lacrosse wrote:So you are advancing much faster than what you told us when announcing the beginning of the new glaurung!
Am I? I don't remember what I told you, so I'll have to take your word for that. :)

The program is still very far from finished, though. Lots of important features and fundamental chess knowledge is still missing. But even the current prototype seems to be at least as strong as Glaurung 1.2.1 on a single CPU, so I am quite optimistic about the potential of the new program.
Did you consider supporting polyglot books natively for this new one ?
It's funny that you ask this question right now. I added Polyglot book support late last night. :)
Will there be any (more or less) public beta soon ?
Yes, there will. Probably either some time during next weak or near the end of the month.
...we all can't wait for testing the new baby!
Thanks! I'm afraid most testers will be disappointed by the style of play of this early version, however. Because of the lack of chess knowledge, the program plays passive and positionally ugly chess. The only way it can win games is by stubbornly defending inferior positions and refusing to lose until the opponent makes some silly mistake. This happens suprisingly often.

Tord
Marc MP

Post by Marc MP »

Hi Tord,

May I ask you a quick question about Glaurung 1.2.1?

I remember reading you on this forum stating that one can make Glaurung stronger in tactical test suite but with the side-effect of making it weaker in eng-eng matches. Could you tell me how to? (I'm interested in solving tactical test suite).

I'm asking because I realized that when I increase "style" parameters like aggressiness, developpment etc. results are better at quick time control, but for tougher problems requiring long searches (like 10min or more on a PIV 2.0), the boosted Glaurung doesn't do as well, the default settings are doing better.

So I'm looking for parameters that would do good tactically at long time control ( I don't expect you to have an answer for that).

Good luck with the new version,

Marc
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Tord, you better watch out, Vasik might come and try to steal your brain to avoid competition. :lol:
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Tony Thomas wrote:Tord, you better watch out, Vasik might come and try to steal your brain to avoid competition. :lol:
No need to worry - I am more interested in computer shogi than in computer chess at the moment, and I don't expect to spend much time on my chess program in the future. :)

Besides, I don't really consider myself a competitor to Vasik, nor to any other chess programmers. I am by nature not a very competitive person, and I am therefore not very interested in the competitive side of computer chess. Like everybody else, I like to see my own program improve, but I am also happy to see other programs improve more rapidly.

Tord
Dariusz Orzechowski

Post by Dariusz Orzechowski »

Tord, and how is your shogi research going?
Tord Romstad

Shogi (Was: Re: Chess960 in Mainz)

Post by Tord Romstad »

Dariusz Orzechowski wrote:Tord, and how is your shogi research going?
Very slowly, unfortunately. This spring I have been occupied with all sorts of weird and unexected problems unrelated to computer chess, and have had very little time for programming. Now it's looking better, but the weather is too nice, and the summer is soon here. When living in a country like Norway, where you hardly see the sun at all for half a year, it just isn't possible to stay in front of the computer on long summer days.

All I have been doing in shogi so far is to improve my own shogi skills, by occasional visits to the local shogi club in Oslo. A couple of weeks ago I finally managed to beat the strongest player in our club with a rook and bishop handicap. :)

Tord