Fritz 10 - the strongest free engine?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

James Constance

Fritz 10 - the strongest free engine?

Post by James Constance »

I notice that chessbase light comes with a "version of Frtiz 10" http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3930

Could this be the strongest free engine? Any plans to test it??
Kirill Kryukov

Re: Fritz 10 - the strongest free engine?

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

James Constance wrote:I notice that chessbase light comes with a "version of Frtiz 10" http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3930

Thanks for information. I would be interested to test it for CCRL.

I downloaded and installed CB Light 2007. The engine file is called "Fritz 6.eng", which suggests it is a "version of Fritz", but not a "version of Fritz 10" :-(. The file is different from "Fritz 6 Light.eng" distributed with PlayChess.com client though. (I don't know if they still distribute the same one or not).

I copied the engine file over into Shredder 9 "Engines" directory and tried to load it. It reported "Engine: unKnown error 1" and did not load. So I am unable to test it at the moment.

If anyone has solution, please share.

I suspect it to be mostly same with Fritz 6 Light, but I guess I would test it anyway if it worked on my system. If it only works in CB Light, then I can't consider it "a free engine" and I won't test it in that case.

Best,
Kirill
James Constance

That's weird - in the pictures in the report it's called "Fritz 10.engine" - I wonder if this is a slip up or what!?
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

James Constance wrote:That's weird - in the pictures in the report it's called "Fritz 10.engine" - I wonder if this is a slip up or what!?
For the paid version.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Even if they gave Fritz 10 for free (and I highly doubt they would ever give it away for free) it still wouldn't be the strongest free engine, Rybka 1.0 Beta 64-bit is stronger.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Leto wrote:Even if they gave Fritz 10 for free (and I highly doubt they would ever give it away for free) it still wouldn't be the strongest free engine, Rybka 1.0 Beta 64-bit is stronger.
It would be the strongest 32 bit engine. :wink:
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

James Constance wrote:I notice that chessbase light comes with a "version of Frtiz 10" http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3930

where did you read this? At the link you provided, I can only find "...ChessBase Light comes with a version of Fritz6." In the next picture you can see Fritz 10 in the list of engines, but this is only an example how an engine list could look like.

(Deep)Fritz 10 is ChessBase's actual chess-engine. Why should they give it away for free? Never ever... :-). Anyway it would be nice to get an UCI-Fritz but I don't think this wish will become true. :-(
Best
Wolfgang
CEGT-Team
www.cegt.net
www.cegt.forumieren.com
Spock

Post by Spock »

Wolfgang wrote:

where did you read this? At the link you provided, I can only find "...ChessBase Light comes with a version of Fritz6." In the next picture you can see Fritz 10 in the list of engines, but this is only an example how an engine list could look like.
They must have changed the web page. It definitely said Fritz 10 when I looked
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Spock wrote:
Wolfgang wrote:

They must have changed the web page. It definitely said Fritz 10 when I looked
I do agree, they did change the picture.
James Constance

Yes, the pics and text have changed.

Notice the third picture down, where it looks like the Fritz version number in the engine pane has been airbrushed out! lol :)

I guess the Fritz 6 is an improvement on Fritz 6 light!?