The Dead of the Fish?.....

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ArmyBridge

The Dead of the Fish?.....

Post by ArmyBridge »

Hi I just read on Hiarcs forum that the new version of Zap is a kill fish
"The latest update I have is that it looks like Erdo's Visa for Mexico is going to be ok. Also the new Zappa playing on Playchess is scoring around 75% on an 8 core machine.

It is going to be one hell of a battle in Mexico! "
of course this Zappa would have played vs. several version of Rybka, Rybka 2.3.2a the most, maybe a new monster has born :shock: I hope so.
Ovyron

Re: The Dead of the Fish?.....

Post by Ovyron »

I believe that it wouldn't have performed as well if all the Rybkas in the engine room were 8 core too.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I hope not and I hope that rybka is going to win.
It is not nice to kill poor weak fish espacially when the programmer of zappa claimed in the past that he left computer chess(the claim of the authot that he left computer chess is the main reason that I am against zappa and I think that people should not claim that they left computer chess if they are not sure that they leave it).

We cannot learn nothing from result in playchess when exact hardware of the opponents and exact rybka version is not known.

Uri
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Ovyron wrote:I believe that it wouldn't have performed as well if all the Rybkas in the engine room were 8 core too.
Of course but I also believe that 2 cores of rybka should be enough to get more than 25% against 8 cores of rybka.

I do not know the opponent and it is possible that in average they were clearly weaker than 2 cores rybka.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Uri Blass wrote:I hope not and I hope that rybka is going to win.
It is not nice to kill poor weak fish espacially when the programmer of zappa claimed in the past that he left computer chess(the claim of the authot that he left computer chess is the main reason that I am against zappa and I think that people should not claim that they left computer chess if they are not sure that they leave it).

We cannot learn nothing from result in playchess when exact hardware of the opponents and exact rybka version is not known.

Uri
He did say computerchess is an addiction, and that he got a paper coming out about that subject. I actually want Zappa to win, because I am tired of Rybka's domination.
ArmyBridge

Post by ArmyBridge »

:D I tired too, see how Rybka beat rival's one by one 30-5 it's no funny, we want to see fish blood :!: :wink: .... I hope.. I really hope that in Mexico Zap will eat a good ,fat and delicius Fish in "Ceviche" :lol:
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

ArmyBridge wrote::D I tired too, see how Rybka beat rival's one by one 30-5 it's no funny, we want to see fish blood :!: :wink: .... I hope.. I really hope that in Mexico Zap will eat a good ,fat and delicius Fish in "Ceviche" :lol:
If you see results of 30-5 then
I think that you simply do not use rybka correctly.

Here are instruction for you how to use rybka

1)use arena gui
2)set rybka's strength to 10%
3)play matches against other engines from fixed positions.

I tried to do it with the 32 bit version of rybka2.3.2a at time control of 40/5 and result after 10 games was movei00_8_438-rybka2.3.2a 6-4

Uri
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Uri Blass wrote:
ArmyBridge wrote::D I tired too, see how Rybka beat rival's one by one 30-5 it's no funny, we want to see fish blood :!: :wink: .... I hope.. I really hope that in Mexico Zap will eat a good ,fat and delicius Fish in "Ceviche" :lol:
If you see results of 30-5 then
I think that you simply do not use rybka correctly.

Here are instruction for you how to use rybka

1)use arena gui
2)set rybka's strength to 10%
3)play matches against other engines from fixed positions.

I tried to do it with the 32 bit version of rybka2.3.2a at time control of 40/5 and result after 10 games was movei00_8_438-rybka2.3.2a 6-4

Uri
That is really a fantastic testing idea! But, use ~12 top engines to test against. As an engine improves then give the top engines more time to compensate for the improving engine. Try to keep the overall results at 50% Then have ~12 engines that are 200 elo weaker and time handicap the improving engine so as to keep those results at about 50%. This method may yield much better information more quickly! :D
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Uri Blass wrote:I hope not and I hope that rybka is going to win.

Uri
Well, AC is not a bad guy for experiencing some turmoil over whether to concentrate on a professional carrer or write a chess program. He is allowed to change his mind any number of times and nobody should criticise him for it. And even if he quit for real, that does not mean that he can not try new ideas that pop into his head. He has a damn good chess program, so why shouldn't he pull it off the shelf from time to time, dust it off and make an improvement. Then he ofcourse has every right to compete with it. I hope the match is very close as that would make the fight for #1 more interesting again! 8-)
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

maybe if Zap-mexico would be able to beat rybka and is stronger, anthony would be able to "come back" and make some money.

this would be an enrichment to us. we would all like this, i guess.

competition is always good and IMO anthony deserves to make some good money out of this computerchess thing. i would be one of the first to subscribe and buy it - if it would be offered in the shops.