I moved the thread Cyclone xTreme Gauntlets

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Olivier Deville

Re: I moved the thread Cyclone xTreme Gauntlets

Post by Olivier Deville »

Hi Rainer

Yes everybody is free to test Cyclone and publish results.

I am wondering if you are informed of what Norman Schmidt did in the recent past though.

I suggest you read the following threads :

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22209

XyclOps was a Toga clone that Norman Schmidt even tried to sell. He entered XyclOps in my tournament as a private engine, sending me a thing that was playing around 2200 and was possibly legit. Then he sent me a lot of updates and silently replaced the legit engine by the Toga clone.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28788

Crimson (the closed source one) was a Viper clone. Norman Schmidt tried to enter my tournament again but I accepted only the open source version, that was possibly legit and is the same thing as Demon.

If you think Norman Schmidt still belongs to the computer chess community after you have read these threads, then feel free to test and publish anything you like from him.

I was rather pissed off that Graham tested Cyclone after all this. Graham is a valuable tester and I was worried he was spending CPU time on this slightly modified Toga. Graham explained his reasons on the OpenWar chat.

Have a nice day

Olivier
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Post by rainhaus »

The thread was moved to the moderation archive. I do not know if ordinary posters can see that forum. Likely, we will have to move back harmless branches.

Yes, please do it. Don't let it be, don't let it bleed. Deleting a whole thread won't be exactly brilliant. It means an incomplete chronicle of the forum, kills something vivacious and isn't fair to people who tried a few constructive thoughts and efforts.

If that happens, it won't be until later.

This scheduling is too complex for me :)

regards
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

Olivier Deville wrote:Hi Rainer

Yes everybody is free to test Cyclone and publish results.

I am wondering if you are informed of what Norman Schmidt did in the recent past though.

I suggest you read the following threads :

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22209

XyclOps was a Toga clone that Norman Schmidt even tried to sell. He entered XyclOps in my tournament as a private engine, sending me a thing that was playing around 2200 and was possibly legit. Then he sent me a lot of updates and silently replaced the legit engine by the Toga clone.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28788

Crimson (the closed source one) was a Viper clone. Norman Schmidt tried to enter my tournament again but I accepted only the open source version, that was possibly legit and is the same thing as Demon.

If you think Norman Schmidt still belongs to the computer chess community after you have read these threads, then feel free to test and publish anything you like from him.

I was rather pissed off that Graham tested Cyclone after all this. Graham is a valuable tester and I was worried he was spending CPU time on this slightly modified Toga. Graham explained his reasons on the OpenWar chat.

Have a nice day

Olivier
Hallo,
merci beaucoup for your invitation, but currently I'm not longer interested in this affair. It is an endless mephisto waltz and I've no pleasure with this flames and this insulting kind of communication, no matter to which community you belong to. Many thanks for your efforts to speak so kindly to me, besides the last sentence of course :( Keep at it.
regards
Rainer Neuhäusler
Olivier Deville

Merci Rainer :)

Here you can read my policy toward clones and cloners :

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22623

I hope you understand that as a tournament organizer I dislike clones and their authors.

Actually this warning seemed to have some effect, I am getting much less clones in my mailbox lately.

Olivier
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

Olivier Deville wrote:Merci Rainer :)

I hope you understand that as a tournament organizer I dislike clones and their authors.

Actually this warning seemed to have some effect, I am getting much less clones in my mailbox lately.

Olivier
I understand you and I feel understood bv Dann Corbit's summary. To me it is important that Cyclone isn't a hidden, nearly isomorphic clone but a declared derivative engine. How many parts of it are from Fruit, from Toga, from others may analyze and report the experts, I'm mainly interested in how it scores. I've started now a short series of matches with cyclonexTreme II and I'll report their progress in this forum. Congrats for your efforts and your success in detecting clones.

Rainer
Olivier Deville

Rainer Marian wrote:
Olivier Deville wrote:Merci Rainer :)

Olivier
I understand you and I feel understood bv Dann Corbit's summary. To me it is important that Cyclone isn't a hidden, nearly isomorphic clone but a declared derivative engine. How many parts of it are from Fruit, from Toga, from others may analyze and report the experts, I'm mainly interested in how it scores. I've started now a short series of matches with cyclonexTreme II and I'll report their progress in this forum. Congrats for your efforts and your success in detecting clones.

Rainer
Thanks Rainer, mutual understanding is a great thing.

Another tournament organizer seems to share my point of view :

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/lastupdates.htm

Good luck with your testing anyway.

Olivier
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Olivier and Leo have been burnt too many times wasting their cpu time testing clones, so their stance is perfectly understandable.

Whereas I was also disappointed with the Crimson saga, I'm prepared to give Norm a final chance. In doing so, I realise that I stand to look rather foolish if he lets the community down again.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

Graham Banks wrote:Olivier and Leo have been burnt too many times wasting their cpu time testing clones, so their stance is perfectly understandable.

Whereas I was also disappointed with the Crimson saga, I'm prepared to give Norm a final chance. In doing so, I realise that I stand to look rather foolish if he lets the community down again.
I don't see it so personally, testing cyclone is now the only thing of which we should take care.
Apropos "wasting time": my mother-in-law says that the whole computer chess is nothing but a boondoggle. She insists on connecting a wattmeter to my pc and hassles my wife to subtract each tournament from my monthly pocket money. I expect heavy seas ahead, the beautiful times of multiprocessing will pass by and soon I'll play single matches like you. I see only one way out: I become a single again and can finally go "multi" about everything :)
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Rainer Marian wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Olivier and Leo have been burnt too many times wasting their cpu time testing clones, so their stance is perfectly understandable.

I don't see it so personally, testing cyclone is now the only thing of which we should take care.
Apropos "wasting time": my mother-in-law says that the whole computer chess is nothing but a boondoggle. She insists on connecting a wattmeter to my pc and hassles my wife to subtract each tournament from my monthly pocket money. I expect heavy seas ahead, the beautiful times of multiprocessing will pass by and soon I'll play single matches like you. I see only one way out: I become a single again and can finally go "multi" about everything :)
See?

Glasgow did have an effect on you.......

Boondoggle that.

Go multi.......do it now. You are too clever to "single-task".

Concentrate on ONE thing is my advice to you today.

Mephisto could benefit from such a thing these days.......

:P

Christopher
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

of course computerchess is a waste of time.
but if you collect 100 shoes and should have to decide each day
WHICH one to choose is IMO also waste of time (and perhaps money, depending on the amount of money the shoes cost).

so what ?

anybody can decide if he wants to waste his time by eating,
watching movies,
doing computerchess, collecting or driving or washing cars,
sit in the garden and cut it short,
feed the alpaquas or sit in the bunker and count the gold-nuggets.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....