GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 1-40)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by Don »

I'm relaying a move for Larry as he does not seem to have access to talk-chess for some reason.

Here is what he said:

For some reason I can't log in to TalkChess; even resetting the password didn't help. So at your convenience could you relay my move 33.Kh2 with the comment "Connie won't repeat here. I hope the motivation of ...Qc6 was to take the pawn on h5."
Steve B wrote:
lkaufman wrote: I play the natural 32.Kg2 by process of elimination; no point in allowing ...Re1 with check, and Kh3 or f4 look ridiculous.
Connie goes in for a bit of subtle maneuvering with ..

32..Qc6

[d] 4r1k1/p1pr1p1p/1pq3p1/3n2BP/2Bp2R1/1Q6/P4PK1/8 w - - 0 32

Finessing Regards
Steve
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Don wrote:
bob wrote:
Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
That will be an interesting test. Computers are, in general, horrible odds players. You can't keep exchanging a pair of pieces to win a pawn. You run out of pieces before you catch back up in material, leaving yourself lost.
thats exactly correct
i have played 6 games now against the same 2700 PC engine at R odds
the lower rated dedicated's(all 1700 range) have won 2 and drawn 4
i only saved 3 of the games(1 win- 2 draws)
i initially tried some games(about 6 or so) at "time odds" and "minor piece" odds but the dedicated's could not draw or win even one game
in each"R odds" game the Engine has usually won back material quickly enough but wound up either lost or hoplessly drawn due to the reduced material

thats what i suspect will happen in the Movei game coming up after this game (but it will be interesting to play against a different engine)

Steve
A human will think "OK, I am already objectively lost, so winning back a pawn is pointless. My goal right now is to not trade material and try to build up an attack to break thru, otherwise the endgame is lost completely." A program is going to win anything it can. If it can trade queens to wreck your pawn structure, it will, even though your rook advantage will nullify (and then some) any pawn structure weakness. But hey, it gave you 3 isolated pawns, even if it did give up all attacking chances. :)

This has been a hard idea to get across. When behind, trade pawns but not pieces, when ahead, trade pieces but not pawns. When we say "not pieces" we _really_ mean it, but to the programs it is just a weak suggestion, at best. :)
This same basic issue comes up in computer GO with the new and modern Monte Carlo Tree Search. Monte Carlo of course plays thousands of very fast games as an estimate of the value of the position. But in GO you can score wins and losses, or you can actually use the "degree" of the win by tallying up territory at the end of the game. In chess you either checkmate or you don't. But in Go you could win big or win small.

It turns out that to get the best results you need to simply tally up wins and losses. A big win is the same as a small win. When you score the Monte Carlo playouts in this way you get significantly better results.

There is one nasty side effect of doing this however is that if you have a game that is basically lost, the program see's the position as hopeless and will not play "normal" fighting moves. You could be losing by just 1 stone but the program doesn't care if it's 1 stone or 100 and it will go down without a fight.

From the program's point of view there are no good or bad moves because they all lose.

If a Monte Carlo Chess program were playing this game in Larry's place, it would see certain loss and would play like Terry McCracken, noticing all the over the board issues while being completely oblivious to the more important "opponent modeling" issues which define what heavy odds games are all about. It would basically say, "I'm dead lost" and it would roll over and die - not realizing what the real game is.

A thought experiment is to play a long chess match where points are scored based on the move number you checkmate your opponent on - the sooner you checkmate the more points you score. It's suddenly a different game, and the rules of chess are a subset of this game. A computer would have to be re-programmed in order to play this game well.
Don Daily you don't know what you're talking about by comparing me to a moronic computer program. That is not how I think, I'm not oblivious to any possibility and you should have realized I've seen both the computer's move/s and Larry's move/s! and the ideas why etc. behind Larry's play, more than just move prediction! I've not bothered with odd's games but that doesn't mean due to a negative attitude when I realize there's not much left to swindle the Connie with, Larry can't win and now it's at the stage he can't prevent losing as the program isn't weak enough!

Larry may resign shortly and for good reason he can't prevent what the Connie can do at this point and sees that he can't possibly resolve this problem, that vastly superior playing strength on his part can't alter the outcome in a way that he can stave of the inevitable. There is not likey going to be an ending and even if there is it will be so overwelming in favour for the Connie that there's only one logical and possible outcome realisticly no matter what swindles...which have virtually run out...Larry has in his bag of tricks. That is what odd's games are all about between superior strength by the one who gives them knowing the weaker opponent won't be able to utilize that extra power/material to survive.

This isn't the case in this position or this player at this stage. I think Larry could beat the Connie under QR odds handicap had he known what the Connie would do and select an opening based on that knowledge and slowly out maneuvered the Connie but unfortunately this is not the case here.

It's simply too obvious what the end result has to be here in this case knowing all the factors of both odds play the opponents and the position and what can and what can't be done!

It appears you're oblivious to the obvious and likely not an expert/master at chess.

Like it or not, Larry is not only lost he will lose and there's nothing that anyone says or does can change that now. It's too late and my pessimism is based on all the factors, not just the Connie is winning or that I've no concept of odds games!

I find your comments about me obnoxious and are based in ignorance and lack class.
Terry McCracken
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Don wrote:I'm relaying a move for Larry as he does not seem to have access to talk-chess for some reason.
Here is what he said:

For some reason I can't log in to TalkChess; even resetting the password didn't help. So at your convenience could you relay my move 33.Kh2 with the comment "Connie won't repeat here. I hope the motivation of ...Qc6 was to take the pawn on h5."
Hi Don
thanks for relaying Larry's move
i checked his account the best i can but everything seems OK
can you ask him if he recently changed his email address in his profile?
i know this can cause log-in problems
either way i notified the TCADMIN to check Larry's account

Regards
Steve
bob

Post by bob »

Steve B wrote:
Don wrote:I'm relaying a move for Larry as he does not seem to have access to talk-chess for some reason.
Here is what he said:

Hi Don

Regards
Steve
Is he still at the Open? That might be causing an issue as well...
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

bob wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Here is what he said:

Hi Don

Regards
Steve
Is he still at the Open? That might be causing an issue as well...
i would imagine so
the Open lasts for about a week..ends around Aug.7th or so
im betting Larry changed his email addy or something like that while logging on from the Open site in California

Steve
bob

Post by bob »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Don wrote:
bob wrote:
Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
That will be an interesting test. Computers are, in general, horrible odds players. You can't keep exchanging a pair of pieces to win a pawn. You run out of pieces before you catch back up in material, leaving yourself lost.
thats exactly correct
i initially tried some games(about 6 or so) at "time odds" and "minor piece" odds but the dedicated's could not draw or win even one game
in each"R odds" game the Engine has usually won back material quickly enough but wound up either lost or hoplessly drawn due to the reduced material

thats what i suspect will happen in the Movei game coming up after this game (but it will be interesting to play against a different engine)

Steve
A human will think "OK, I am already objectively lost, so winning back a pawn is pointless. My goal right now is to not trade material and try to build up an attack to break thru, otherwise the endgame is lost completely." A program is going to win anything it can. If it can trade queens to wreck your pawn structure, it will, even though your rook advantage will nullify (and then some) any pawn structure weakness. But hey, it gave you 3 isolated pawns, even if it did give up all attacking chances. :)

This has been a hard idea to get across. When behind, trade pawns but not pieces, when ahead, trade pieces but not pawns. When we say "not pieces" we _really_ mean it, but to the programs it is just a weak suggestion, at best. :)
This same basic issue comes up in computer GO with the new and modern Monte Carlo Tree Search. Monte Carlo of course plays thousands of very fast games as an estimate of the value of the position. But in GO you can score wins and losses, or you can actually use the "degree" of the win by tallying up territory at the end of the game. In chess you either checkmate or you don't. But in Go you could win big or win small.

It turns out that to get the best results you need to simply tally up wins and losses. A big win is the same as a small win. When you score the Monte Carlo playouts in this way you get significantly better results.

There is one nasty side effect of doing this however is that if you have a game that is basically lost, the program see's the position as hopeless and will not play "normal" fighting moves. You could be losing by just 1 stone but the program doesn't care if it's 1 stone or 100 and it will go down without a fight.

From the program's point of view there are no good or bad moves because they all lose.

If a Monte Carlo Chess program were playing this game in Larry's place, it would see certain loss and would play like Terry McCracken, noticing all the over the board issues while being completely oblivious to the more important "opponent modeling" issues which define what heavy odds games are all about. It would basically say, "I'm dead lost" and it would roll over and die - not realizing what the real game is.

A thought experiment is to play a long chess match where points are scored based on the move number you checkmate your opponent on - the sooner you checkmate the more points you score. It's suddenly a different game, and the rules of chess are a subset of this game. A computer would have to be re-programmed in order to play this game well.
Don Daily you don't know what you're talking about by comparing me to a moronic computer program. That is not how I think, I'm not oblivious to any possibility and you should have realized I've seen both the computer's move/s and Larry's move/s! and the ideas why etc. behind Larry's play, more than just move prediction! I've not bothered with odd's games but that doesn't mean due to a negative attitude when I realize there's not much left to swindle the Connie with, Larry can't win and now it's at the stage he can't prevent losing as the program isn't weak enough!

Larry may resign shortly and for good reason he can't prevent what the Connie can do at this point and sees that he can't possibly resolve this problem, that vastly superior playing strength on his part can't alter the outcome in a way that he can stave of the inevitable. There is not likey going to be an ending and even if there is it will be so overwelming in favour for the Connie that there's only one logical and possible outcome realisticly no matter what swindles...which have virtually run out...Larry has in his bag of tricks. That is what odd's games are all about between superior strength by the one who gives them knowing the weaker opponent won't be able to utilize that extra power/material to survive.

This isn't the case in this position or this player at this stage. I think Larry could beat the Connie under QR odds handicap had he known what the Connie would do and select an opening based on that knowledge and slowly out maneuvered the Connie but unfortunately this is not the case here.

It's simply too obvious what the end result has to be here in this case knowing all the factors of both odds play the opponents and the position and what can and what can't be done!

It appears you're oblivious to the obvious and likely not an expert/master at chess.

Like it or not, Larry is not only lost he will lose and there's nothing that anyone says or does can change that now. It's too late and my pessimism is based on all the factors, not just the Connie is winning or that I've no concept of odds games!

I find your comments about me obnoxious and are based in ignorance and lack class.
Terry, I didn't take Don's comments as insulting to you at all. He was simply commenting, as I did too, that an "odds game" is a completely different game. The basic idea is that you start off lost, so you have to play a different type of chess to have a chance. Against weaker humans you might well just sit back and wait for them to make a gross blunder, but against a computer all you can really do is to try and create a very deep long-range plan that it won't understand until it is way too late. But a rook is huge odds. The computer could even blunder a piece away and still be winning.
Terry McCracken

bob wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Don wrote:
bob wrote:
Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
thats exactly correct

Steve

Terry, I didn't take Don's comments as insulting to you at all. He was simply commenting, as I did too, that an "odds game" is a completely different game. The basic idea is that you start off lost, so you have to play a different type of chess to have a chance. Against weaker humans you might well just sit back and wait for them to make a gross blunder, but against a computer all you can really do is to try and create a very deep long-range plan that it won't understand until it is way too late. But a rook is huge odds. The computer could even blunder a piece away and still be winning.
It is an insult the way it reads and I _do_ have a little experience at playing odds with a computer. About 15 years ago I spotted a Queen to the Designer 1500 a Fidelity unit that was way overrated. I won that game easily! The Fidelity Designer 1500 was an oddball of the Designer series and incorperated a very old and weak program by Ron Nielson, it was well below a 1000 and I felt winning even with Q odds!

I won the game in under 30 moves IIRC. So Don has misjudged me for the wrong reasons.

Drawing such parallels isn't good regardless.
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

Terry McCracken wrote:
bob wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Don wrote:
bob wrote:
Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
thats exactly correct

Steve

It is an insult the way it reads and I _do_ have a little experience at playing odds with a computer. About 15 years ago I spotted a Queen to the Designer 1500 a Fidelity unit that was way overrated. I won that game easily! The Fidelity Designer 1500 was an oddball of the Designer series and incorperated a very old and weak program by Ron Nielson, it was well below a 1000 and I felt winning even with Q odds!

I won the game in under 30 moves IIRC. So Don has misjudged me for the wrong reasons.

Remember that Don and I have known each other for years, dating back to at least the early 90's. Neither of us has ever met you. Which means it is easier for either of us (Don and myself) to make a good guess about what the other knows. With someone we have never met, it is not so easy. If I am writing something that might have different interpretations, I try to explain carefully for clarity's sake, which might be misinterpreted as "talking down to" someone, without that being the intention at all. Easier to over-explain up front rather than having to do so after a misunderstanding takes place.
Terry McCracken

bob wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
bob wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Don wrote:
bob wrote:
Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
thats exactly correct

Steve

Remember that Don and I have known each other for years, dating back to at least the early 90's. Neither of us has ever met you. Which means it is easier for either of us (Don and myself) to make a good guess about what the other knows. With someone we have never met, it is not so easy. If I am writing something that might have different interpretations, I try to explain carefully for clarity's sake, which might be misinterpreted as "talking down to" someone, without that being the intention at all. Easier to over-explain up front rather than having to do so after a misunderstanding takes place.
Maybe this is the case here and if so Don should have addressed this issue himself.

I only know you and Don by your work and posts, _IE_ your work on Crafty and your WCCC wins back in the mid eighties plus your credentials as a computer scientist, and Don's work on Rex with Larry Kaufman back in 1990 and more recently Komodo.
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

bob wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Don wrote:
bob wrote:
Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
thats exactly correct

Steve

Terry, I didn't take Don's comments as insulting to you at all.
Well you're in error, I've just read a rather nasty PM by Don Daily.

He was attacking me with his preconcieved notions of my behavior towards Larry. He accussed me of heckling Larry and that is utter nonsense. He called my behaviour towards Larry crass and obnoxious. I shall not waste any more time on this matter!

An apology is in order from Don Daily!
Terry McCracken