GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 1-40)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by Steve B » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Connie could not resist swallowing the pawn with ...
4..Bxb4

[d] r1bqk1nr/pppp1ppp/2n5/4p3/1bB1P3/5N2/P1PP1PPP/1NBQK2R w Kkq - 0 5

Material Advantage now ...
+6.0 Regards
Steve

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by gerold » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:49 am

HI Steve and Larry.
Just got in and looking at your game.
For White to gave away a pawn when already very
weak because of no Rook on that side makes things very
hard for White to win this game.

The machine would have to make bad move for
the tide to change or for Larry to made a super move.

Best,
Gerold.

P.S. I got Black material advantage at 4.6 :) Just guessing.

lkaufman
Posts: 3681
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by lkaufman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:23 am

5.c3. I believe that my only chance at the odds is to get a situation where Black can no longer castle and develop normally, and this is likely to happen in Evans' Gambit if Black is materialistic. That doesn't mean I'll win the game, but at least I should not lose without a fight as would probably happen with "correct" play.

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by gerold » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:40 am

lkaufman wrote:5.c3. I believe that my only chance at the odds is to get a situation where Black can no longer castle and develop normally, and this is likely to happen in Evans' Gambit if Black is materialistic. That doesn't mean I'll win the game, but at least I should not lose without a fight as would probably happen with "correct" play.
White to play for the middle without exchanging any pieces and
castle as soon as possible.

No way to keep Black from castle move.

Good luck,
Gerold.

Steve B
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by Steve B » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 am

gerold wrote:HI Steve and Larry.
Just got in and looking at your game.
For White to gave away a pawn when already very
weak because of no Rook on that side makes things very
hard for White to win this game.

The machine would have to make bad move for
the tide to change or for Larry to made a super move.

Best,
Gerold.

P.S. I got Black material advantage at 4.6 :) Just guessing.
Hi Gerold
Well we should remember that Connie is only rated 1650 Ish so chances are good it can play a howler at any time
especially at 3 Min Per move and pondering OFF
From the GM's standpoint a draw (let alone a win )is a great result
from my standpoint of the experiment(trying to discover if a R can equalize a 1000+ Elo difference) a draw is a successful outcome ..a win is just an added bonus

so far i have played 1/2 a dozen games pitting 1700 Dedicated computers vs a 2700 PC engine and the dedicated have 2 wins and 4 draws(only have 3 games saved though)
i need at least 20 more games to get any sort of statistical Validity
however playing against an actual GM.. especially one that is so familiar with dedicated computers is a real treat and would add alot of weight to my experiment


Will Move later Today Regards
Steve

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by gerold » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Steve B wrote:
gerold wrote:HI Steve and Larry.
Just got in and looking at your game.
For White to gave away a pawn when already very
weak because of no Rook on that side makes things very
hard for White to win this game.

The machine would have to make bad move for
the tide to change or for Larry to made a super move.

Best,
Gerold.

P.S. I got Black material advantage at 4.6 :) Just guessing.
Hi Gerold
Well we should remember that Connie is only rated 1650 Ish so chances are good it can play a howler at any time
especially at 3 Min Per move and pondering OFF
From the GM's standpoint a draw (let alone a win )is a great result
from my standpoint of the experiment(trying to discover if a R can equalize a 1000+ Elo difference) a draw is a successful outcome ..a win is just an added bonus

so far i have played 1/2 a dozen games pitting 1700 Dedicated computers vs a 2700 PC engine and the dedicated have 2 wins and 4 draws(only have 3 games saved though)
i need at least 20 more games to get any sort of statistical Validity
however playing against an actual GM.. especially one that is so familiar with dedicated computers is a real treat and would add alot of weight to my experiment


Will Move later Today Regards
Steve
Middle game should be interesting.
Yes i look for the machine to make a couple weak moves.

Best,
Gerold.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33016
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by Graham Banks » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Steve B wrote:......however playing against an actual GM.. especially one that is so familiar with dedicated computers is a real treat......
Yes - bravo to Larry for participating. My money is on him to win! :P
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

Steve B
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by Steve B » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Connie in the midst of a 102 degree heat wave in NYC plays..
5..Ba5


[d] r1bqk1nr/pppp1ppp/2n5/b3p3/2B1P3/2P2N2/P2P1PPP/1NBQK2R w Kkq - 0 6

Over Heated Regards
Steve

lkaufman
Posts: 3681
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by lkaufman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:07 am

6d4. I suppose Connie will consider this a blunder as it sacs another pawn. If Black takes everything (as I expect) the resultant position is considered promising for White in normal chess despite the two pawn deficit. But with the rook missing, of course everything is bad for White.

Albert Silver
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by Albert Silver » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:46 am

lkaufman wrote:6d4. I suppose Connie will consider this a blunder as it sacs another pawn. If Black takes everything (as I expect) the resultant position is considered promising for White in normal chess despite the two pawn deficit. But with the rook missing, of course everything is bad for White.
True, but the rook isn't a factor in White's attack so it is unlikely it will be an issue. The whole point of your edge over Connie is the ability to not let the rook be a factor, and pretty much the only way to accomplish that is to mate it. In for a penny, in for a pound.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

Post Reply