Houdini 1.5 v Rybka 4 at long time control

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi Matthias.

I will look for them tonight. I did select the option to "skip debug info" in the GUI; was that just for display during the match, or would the file be skipped also?

Take care
Matthias Gemuh

Re: Houdini 1.5 v Rybka 4 at long time control

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

PawnStormZ wrote:    Hi Matthias.

I will look for them tonight. I did select the option to "skip debug info" in the GUI; was that just for display during the match, or would the file be skipped also?

Take care
Then the infos were not saved. No problem.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

A lot of mistakes and unfortunates in this ongoing loooong match.....
It's about time to stop it....my opinion....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

Sorry Matthias.  

I wanted to try and save as much resources for the engine "thinking" as possible so I thought that disabling the log creation and file I\O would be helpful.

Take care

Romy

Post by Romy »

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 pm
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:ongoing loooong match.....
It's about time to stop it.
But already Posted:Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:29 am
pal larkin wrote:So ends the battle of these awesome programs.
Dr. Deeb, did you used same carefule logic in your other campaign?
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

PawnStormZ wrote:        So ends the battle of these awesome programs.  It was fun conducting this match, and I hope that it was interesting and enjoyable for many who looked in from time to time.

Thanks to those responsible for producing these amazing programs, those that posted comments and information during the match, and a special thanks to Matthias Gemuh for providing the excellent and free "ChessGUI" which was used to run the match.

The results were much more in Houdini's favor than I had thought they would be going into the match.  I had heard that at longer time controls the difference was less than at "blitz" but that does not seem to be the case here.

I know that some people thought that some of the positions that were won on the same side by each engine were "noise" in the results and should be removed.  If there is any interest, I am willing to remove the wins caused by these positions and run more games to get back to 200.  Let me know which positions were really unfair for one side, and I will remove them and play some additional games.

I am sure that much is to be learned in the study of these games, both for engine developers and players alike!

Take care

Pal, today I have some time, I will try to find the games which were unbalanced from the opening position.

Kai
javieros

Post by javieros »

Please, Is possible to obtain the complete result and a link to the games?

Thank you for the effort

Javier Ros
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Laskos wrote:
Pal, today I have some time, I will try to find the games which were unbalanced from the opening position.

Kai
The games which were decided from the opening are:

(85,86)
(93,94)
(129,130)
(167,168)
(193,194)
(195,196)

Without them there are 188 games, and the score is +57 =115 -16 for Houdini. The Elo difference is 77 Elo points instead of 72. Draw ratio is 61.2% instead of 57.5%.

Kai
PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi Kai.

Thank you very much for your effort in testing the opening positions :!:    I am going to remove those 12 results from the standings and run 12 additional games to get the total back to 200.  Hopefully there will not be any more of these in the next 12 games.  :)

I am also going to remove these positions from the 4,000 so that they will not be used in any future matches.

Thanks again,  Take care

PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi Javier.

Several people have asked, so I am trying to find a decent (free) place that I can join to make the file available for download.  I will post the link here when the file is uploaded somewhere.

Take care