Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33974
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:20 pm

mwyoung wrote:My testing agrees with that conclusion, I guess you will wait for the next official release before testing the stronger versions of stockfish?

Nice work Stockfish team if they do take the top spot on your list.
Hi Mark,

I expect Stockfish DD 64-bit to establish a slight edge over Houdini 4 64-bit in our 40/40 1CPU and 4CPU lists.
Komodo is likely to be further back in third spot.

The Stockfish testing framework will only see it become stronger still.
It's going to be tough work for Robert and Larry/Mark to get past them in the near future.

Graham.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

mwyoung
Posts: 2079
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by mwyoung » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Graham Banks wrote:
mwyoung wrote:My testing agrees with that conclusion, I guess you will wait for the next official release before testing the stronger versions of stockfish?

Nice work Stockfish team if they do take the top spot on your list.
Hi Mark,

I expect Stockfish DD 64-bit to establish a slight edge over Houdini 4 64-bit in our 40/40 1CPU and 4CPU lists.
Komodo is likely to be further back in third spot.

The Stockfish testing framework will only see it become stronger still.
It's going to be tough work for Robert and Larry/Mark to get past them in the near future.

Graham.
I agree with that, but it is the competition that drives the innovations in engines we love to test. We have that very much in common.

Peace...

And I hope no one attacks your results....:roll:
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
take on me. Foes 0.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33974
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:42 pm

mwyoung wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
mwyoung wrote:My testing agrees with that conclusion, I guess you will wait for the next official release before testing the stronger versions of stockfish?

Nice work Stockfish team if they do take the top spot on your list.
Hi Mark,

I expect Stockfish DD 64-bit to establish a slight edge over Houdini 4 64-bit in our 40/40 1CPU and 4CPU lists.
Komodo is likely to be further back in third spot.

The Stockfish testing framework will only see it become stronger still.
It's going to be tough work for Robert and Larry/Mark to get past them in the near future.

Graham.
I agree with that, but it is the competition that drives the innovations in engines we love to test. We have that very much in common.

Peace...

And I hope no one attacks your results....:roll:
Don't worry. All testers get criticised at times. Not nice though, especially when you're doing things properly and trying to be impartial.

To be honest, I'd not really noticed what had happened in your thread before you drew it to my attention earlier.

Main thing is that we have fun doing what we do, as you alluded to.

Happy to put the past behind us if you're willing to do so. Many things change over time. My apologies for our harsh exchanges earlier, as I'd not intended it to turn out that way.

Regards,
Graham.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

ouachita
Posts: 454
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Ritz-Carlton, NYC
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by ouachita » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:44 pm

beram wrote:Stockfish DD is now best with 66,49%
I just hope the other camps can muster enough resources to keep it competitive going forward. Nice work Bram.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE

mwyoung
Posts: 2079
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by mwyoung » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:52 pm

Graham Banks wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
mwyoung wrote:My testing agrees with that conclusion, I guess you will wait for the next official release before testing the stronger versions of stockfish?

Nice work Stockfish team if they do take the top spot on your list.
Hi Mark,

I expect Stockfish DD 64-bit to establish a slight edge over Houdini 4 64-bit in our 40/40 1CPU and 4CPU lists.
Komodo is likely to be further back in third spot.

The Stockfish testing framework will only see it become stronger still.
It's going to be tough work for Robert and Larry/Mark to get past them in the near future.

Graham.
I agree with that, but it is the competition that drives the innovations in engines we love to test. We have that very much in common.

Peace...

And I hope no one attacks your results....:roll:
Don't worry. All testers get criticised at times. Not nice though, especially when you're doing things properly and trying to be impartial.

To be honest, I'd not really noticed what had happened in your thread before you drew it to my attention earlier.

Main thing is that we have fun doing what we do, as you alluded to.

Happy to put the past behind us if you're willing to do so. Many things change over time. My apologies for our harsh exchanges earlier, as I'd not intended it to turn out that way.

Regards,
Graham.
Yes I agree, and happy testing. Peace!
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
take on me. Foes 0.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33974
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:54 pm

mwyoung wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
mwyoung wrote:My testing agrees with that conclusion, I guess you will wait for the next official release before testing the stronger versions of stockfish?

Nice work Stockfish team if they do take the top spot on your list.
Hi Mark,

I expect Stockfish DD 64-bit to establish a slight edge over Houdini 4 64-bit in our 40/40 1CPU and 4CPU lists.
Komodo is likely to be further back in third spot.

The Stockfish testing framework will only see it become stronger still.
It's going to be tough work for Robert and Larry/Mark to get past them in the near future.

Graham.
I agree with that, but it is the competition that drives the innovations in engines we love to test. We have that very much in common.

Peace...

And I hope no one attacks your results....:roll:
Don't worry. All testers get criticised at times. Not nice though, especially when you're doing things properly and trying to be impartial.

To be honest, I'd not really noticed what had happened in your thread before you drew it to my attention earlier.

Main thing is that we have fun doing what we do, as you alluded to.

Happy to put the past behind us if you're willing to do so. Many things change over time. My apologies for our harsh exchanges earlier, as I'd not intended it to turn out that way.

Regards,
Graham.
Yes I agree, and happy testing. Peace!
:) Thanks Mark.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

leavenfish
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:23 am

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by leavenfish » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 am

I would tend to agree.

Actually, though, to me 'speed' is relatively unimportant. The mechanical/technological side of things is ever increasing. At some point, what might be reached in 5 min now, will be reached in 2 seconds.

To me, ultimately, the most important thing is the 'quality' of the individual moves in how they relate to given positions. This is why I have always preferred certain engines over say those that might be able to 'whip' another engine is bullet time controls.

ouachita
Posts: 454
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Ritz-Carlton, NYC
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by ouachita » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:42 am

leavenfish wrote: the 'quality' of the individual moves
agree 100%; I had just PM'd someone saying the same thing.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE

S.Taylor
Posts: 8399
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:25 am
Location: Jerusalem Israel

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by S.Taylor » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 am

ouachita wrote:
leavenfish wrote: the 'quality' of the individual moves
agree 100%; I had just PM'd someone saying the same thing.
I used to write my thoughts on this (in agreement etc.) and was always ignored in this forum board.
I HAVE realized what everyone keeps saying, that it needs huge amounts of games to estimate strength comparisson to be the fact, if that's all we are doing. And as a generalization.
But I always thought there could be a different criteria in which certain aspects of the moves can be analized so that an even clearer picture can be gained regarding comparative elo, over a much smaller number of games.

e.g. I NEVER heard anyone say that Spaasky might have been a huge amount stronger than Fisher, from the world champiomship games in 1972, even though it was only the ridiculously small number of about 20 games which should have meant absolutely nothing.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33974
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Komodo TCEC 64-bit Gauntlet for CCRL 40/40

Post by Graham Banks » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:06 am

My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

Post Reply