Page 1 of 2

Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:44 am
by mwyoung
Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

View Live @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr3EowKa5Pc

Rebel 6 (1994 Chess Program)
SSDF Rating Rebel 6.0 486/50-66 MHz 2310
SSDF Rating Rebel 6.0 Pentium 90 MHz 2416

Stockfish 260314 (2014 Chess Program)
CCRL Rating (1 CPU) Stockfish DD 64-bit 3179
CEGT Rating (1 CPU) Stockfish DD x64 3071

Match Conditions:
i7 840 CPU @ 3.2 Ghz
Rebel 6 Time Control: Game in 15 minutes
Stockfish 260314 Time Control: Game in 5 minutes
Stockfish (1 CPU)
100 Game Match

Re: Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:27 pm
by sainzlei
Rebel 6 will be lost 100 times in a row .
This look like not a good idea math between both engine .

:shock:

Re: Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:21 pm
by mwyoung
sainzlei wrote:Rebel 6 will be lost 100 times in a row .
This look like not a good idea math between both engine .

:shock:
It may lose 100 - 0 even with a x3 time advantage. The match is not about the math. Anyone can look at rating numbers. I had a request of how do engines of today play better, from the ones in the past. One fun way to show this is to let them play.

So we are going to step threw time in a series of matches with the older engine always having a x3 time advantage, and both engines playing one core for consistency.

Rebel 6 (1994)
Fritz 6 (2000)
Fruit 2 (2005-7)
Rybka 3 (2008)
Houdini 1.5a (2010-11)

Re: Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:09 pm
by mwyoung
mwyoung wrote:Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

View Live @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr3EowKa5Pc

Rebel 6 (1994 Chess Program)
SSDF Rating Rebel 6.0 486/50-66 MHz 2310
SSDF Rating Rebel 6.0 Pentium 90 MHz 2416

Stockfish 260314 (2014 Chess Program)
CCRL Rating (1 CPU) Stockfish DD 64-bit 3179
CEGT Rating (1 CPU) Stockfish DD x64 3071

Match Conditions:
i7 840 CPU @ 3.2 Ghz
Rebel 6 Time Control: Game in 15 minutes
Stockfish 260314 Time Control: Game in 5 minutes
Stockfish (1 CPU)
100 Game Match

Code: Select all


Stockfish 260314 64 SSE4.2   - Rebel 6.0                      100.0 - 1.0    +99/=2/-0    99.01%


Re: Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:53 am
by Vinvin
I'm just curious : how did you run Rebel 6 on a modern computer ?

Re: Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:50 am
by mwyoung
Vinvin wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:53 am
I'm just curious : how did you run Rebel 6 on a modern computer ?
https://rebel13.nl/windows/rebel's%20with%20uci.html
Rebel UCI.jpg
Rebel UCI.jpg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 366 times

Re: Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:48 am
by Uri Blass
I wonder if you use default contempt for stockfish because I think that it may be better to use the maximal value of contempt to help stockfish to win 100-0

Re: Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:08 pm
by mwyoung
Uri Blass wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:48 am
I wonder if you use default contempt for stockfish because I think that it may be better to use the maximal value of contempt to help stockfish to win 100-0
This was played in 2014. But if this was not noted. Then the setting would be default....

Re: Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:45 pm
by Vinvin
mwyoung wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:08 pm
Uri Blass wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:48 am
I wonder if you use default contempt for stockfish because I think that it may be better to use the maximal value of contempt to help stockfish to win 100-0
This was played in 2014. But if this was not noted. Then the setting would be default....
If such a match is play again these days, please use Rebel 12 because it's 100 points over Rebel 6.

Re: Retrospect Match: Rebel 6 (1994) - Stockfish (2014)

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 am
by Uri Blass
I think that the point was to play against the top programs of their time.

Rebel6 was a top program in 1994
Rebel12 was not a top program when it appeared.