CEGT - rating lists June 08th 2014

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Re: CEGT - rating lists June 08th 2014

Post by lkaufman »

Milos wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Thanks. Could you describe in what way it is bad for 40/x, other than "totally screwed"? Anyway I suppose there is more than one reason for this.
"Flat" TM that RH didn't bother to change from Robbo, which allocates approximately equal time for each move, i.e. same time is used for move 1 and move 39, actually since there is always some time left due to buffers more time is allocated for move 39 and moves 40+ than for move 1, which is totally bogus.
Interesting. Why do you suppose he hadn't figured out that this is silly by the time of Houdini 4? It's been several years.
Milos

Post by Milos »

lkaufman wrote:Interesting. Why do you suppose he hadn't figured out that this is silly by the time of Houdini 4? It's been several years.
I know how to use disassembler.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Milos wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Interesting. Why do you suppose he hadn't figured out that this is silly by the time of Houdini 4? It's been several years.
I don't see the connection between your answer and my question. I asked about RH, not about you. For him to have overlooked this simple thing for years would be like a Grandmaster blundering a piece in the opening the same way every year. It's just very strange for the guy who had the top rated engine for years.
Milos

Post by Milos »

lkaufman wrote:
Milos wrote:
I don't see the connection between your answer and my question. I asked about RH, not about you. For him to have overlooked this simple thing for years would be like a Grandmaster blundering a piece in the opening the same way every year. It's just very strange for the guy who had the top rated engine for years.
Seams you don't even know what is disassembler.
No big deal, here are the basics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disassembler
And to draw a bit more for you, TM is very simple thing to find and observe in machine code, especially if it looks quite the same as in Robbo.
So when you remove all the quirks that are added there for cosmetics basically the TM for 40/x games is still Move_time=Total_time/moves_to_go which in ideal case is a linear function allocating the same time for each move.
Why RH didn't change it I can only speculate, either he doesn't understand it (many programmers actually don't understand TM, even SF till maybe 9 months ago had ridiculous TM), or he didn't spend enough time/resources properly optimizing for this type of TCs (many programmers actually don't).
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Milos wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
Milos wrote:
Seams you don't even know what is disassembler.
No big deal, here are the basics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disassembler
And to draw a bit more for you, TM is very simple thing to find and observe in machine code, especially if it looks quite the same as in Robbo.
So when you remove all the quirks that are added there for cosmetics basically the TM for 40/x games is still Move_time=Total_time/moves_to_go which in ideal case is a linear function allocating the same time for each move.
Why RH didn't change it I can only speculate, either he doesn't understand it (many programmers actually don't understand TM, even SF till maybe 9 months ago had ridiculous TM), or he didn't spend enough time/resources properly optimizing for this type of TCs (many programmers actually don't).
I know the stuff in the first paragraph, I wrote part of Komodo's time management code myself. It just wasn't relevant to the question which you answered in the second paragraph. It is strange, because RH clearly had the goal of topping the rating lists by a wide margin, and for most of those years the CEGT and CCRL 40/x lists were the main lists.