Why don't strong engines enter WCCC?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: Why don't strong engines enter WCCC?

Post by Modern Times »

hgm wrote: In computer programming it are the facts that count.
Sure, but the so-called "facts" in the Rybka base are still disputed to this day.

A pity that original source code was not available, that would have enabled a far more reliable verdict to be reached. Of course the ICGA rules themselves were not exactly clear either, there is rooom for interpretation there too.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Modern Times wrote:
hgm wrote: In computer programming it are the facts that count.
Sure, but the so-called "facts" in the Rybka base are still disputed to this day.

A pity that original source code was not available, that would have enabled a far more reliable verdict to be reached. Of course the ICGA rules themselves were not exactly clear either, there is rooom for interpretation there too.
+1

And I think,
ICGA organization still have chance to gain their lost popularity...
For example, if ICGA will apologize to Rybka team !!

Best,
Sedat
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Modern Times wrote:Sure, but the so-called "facts" in the Rybka base are still disputed to this day.

Indeed, the main and undisputed fact is that he did not show any source code. That in itself is sufficient reason to ban him from ICGA tournaments, but it does not constitute proof that it was a Fruit derivative.

But whether it is, can be decided by examination of the binary. Opinions of those that have not done that carry no weight whatsoever.

Those that keep pointing at Rybka like it is some panacea for the current predicament of computer Chess completely miss the point. Rybka is history, Stockfish / Komodo / Houdini / Ivanhoe are the present. The real problem is Ippolit, its questionable legal status, its shady authors and its frequent cloning.
vittyvirus
Full name: Fahad Syed

Post by vittyvirus »

Rybka was NOT a Fruit clone. Most ~2800 engines do calculate around 100-500 kNodes/sec on my system. Rybka, which merely calculates 100 kNodes/ sec with single core on my system, is rated 3161! Its evaluation function is far superior than even engines today, and I belive that was the reason Vasik didn't want to show them the code. They, at that time, didn't accuse any other engine, that was enough for Vasik to believe that they're trying to steal code.
vittyvirus

Post by vittyvirus »

Here's Houdini 3 Pro CRUSHING Deep Junior in just 21(!) moves with lots of sacrifices
[pgn][Event "CCRL 40/40"]
[Site "CCRL"]
[Date "2012.10.29"]
[Round "343.3.338"]
[White "Houdini 3 64-bit 4CPU"]
[Black "Deep Junior 13 64-bit 4CPU"]
[Result "1-0"]
[BlackElo "3044"]
[ECO "C25"]
[Opening "Vienna"]
[Variation "Hamppe-Allgaier Gambit"]
[WhiteElo "3250"]
[TimeControl "40/1800:40/1800:1800"]
[Termination "normal"]
[PlyCount "41"]
[WhiteType "human"]
[BlackType "human"]

1. e4 {0s} e5 {0s} 2. Bc4 {0s} Nc6 {0s} 3. Nc3 Nf6 {0s} 4. f4 {0s} Nxe4
{0s} 5. Nf3 {0s} Nd6 {0s} 6. Bd5 {-0.01/22 71s} exf4 {-0.11/19 48s} 7. O-O
{(d2-d4) +0.17/23 69s} Be7 {(h7-h6) -0.11/19 47s} 8. d4 {+0.31/22 49s} g5
{-0.11/18 31s} 9. g3 {+0.11/21 56s} Bf6 {(h7-h5) +0.08/17 25s} 10. Ne5
{(g3xf4) +0.19/19 44s} h5 {+0.50/17 67s} 11. h4 {+0.67/19 30s} Rh7
{(Bf6xe5) +0.80/17 71s} 12. hxg5 {+1.99/20} Bxg5 {+1.24/19 57s} 13. Bxf4
{+2.00/19} f5 {(Bg5xf4) +1.12/19 48s} 14. Qd3 {+2.76/21 61s} Nb4 {(Qd8-f6)
+1.45/19 95s} 15. Qe2 {(Qd3-d2) +5.02/19 13s} Kf8 {(Qd8-e7) +1.29/19 120s}
16. Bxg5 {(Ra1-e1) +8.81/18 14s} Qxg5 {+5.74/21} 17. Ne4 {+8.83/17 1s} Nxe4
{+6.16/21} 18. Rxf5+ {+8.68/16 0s} Qxf5 {+7.15/21} 19. Bxe4 {+8.38/15 0s}
Qe6 {+9.60/21} 20. Rf1+ {+17.82/22 50s} Ke7 {+9.60/20} 21. Ng6+ {+17.82/21
0s} 1-0
[/pgn]
Its clear that Houdini would win after move 13, and Deep Junior is programmed to not resign before move 20, or it would've resigned on move 15. Deep Junior is Junior, and I don't know why I've to say this, that giving it WCC Champion title is injustice.
This is also the shortest Engine win in 3000+ level.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

hgm wrote:
Modern Times wrote:Sure, but the so-called "facts" in the Rybka base are still disputed to this day.

Indeed, the main and undisputed fact is that he did not show any source code. That in itself is sufficient reason to ban him from ICGA tournaments, but it does not constitute proof that it was a Fruit derivative.

But whether it is, can be decided by examination of the binary. Opinions of those that have not done that carry no weight whatsoever.

Those that keep pointing at Rybka like it is some panacea for the current predicament of computer Chess completely miss the point. Rybka is history, Stockfish / Komodo / Houdini / Ivanhoe are the present. The real problem is Ippolit, its questionable legal status, its shady authors and its frequent cloning.

I give right and I can understand Vasik Rajlich's reaction...
About why Vas did not show any source code...

And if I was in Vasik Rajlich's shoes probably I would not too..!!!

Maybe you forgot, but I still remember,
About the signed open-letter by many opponents (against Vasik Rajlich)

There is no doubt that for many chess friends,
This signed opened-letter will be remembered as a black shadow in Computer Chess!!!

And who knows...
Perhaps, it's time to be collected similar signatures against my chess activities too ?!))
In this case, the moderators will less work and we will see less locked topics )))

Btw, I am not Vas, I am Sedat ))
This system will not work...the previous who tried are ended without success !!
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

vittyvirus wrote:Rybka was NOT a Fruit clone. Most ~2800 engines do calculate around 100-500 kNodes/sec on my system. Rybka, which merely calculates 100 kNodes/ sec with single core on my system, is rated 3161! Its evaluation function is far superior than even engines today, and I belive that was the reason Vasik didn't want to show them the code. They, at that time, didn't accuse any other engine, that was enough for Vasik to believe that they're trying to steal code.
A good point !!

Actually this issue is not so complicated as it looks...

Simply,
Some of the programmers were tired to be beaten on real Arena!!
And finely they found the right way to beat Rybka: via papers !!!
vittyvirus

Post by vittyvirus »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
vittyvirus wrote:Rybka was NOT a Fruit clone. Most ~2800 engines do calculate around 100-500 kNodes/sec on my system. Rybka, which merely calculates 100 kNodes/ sec with single core on my system, is rated 3161! Its evaluation function is far superior than even engines today, and I belive that was the reason Vasik didn't want to show them the code. They, at that time, didn't accuse any other engine, that was enough for Vasik to believe that they're trying to steal code.
A good point !!

Actually this issue is not so complicated as it looks...

Simply,
Some of the programmers were tired to be beaten on real Arena!!
And finely they found the right way to beat Rybka: via papers !!!
But after all its US who are supposed to stand for him. It doesn't make a penny worth of difference to ICGA if they lose CP Geniuses.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

vittyvirus wrote: But after all its US who are supposed to stand for him. It doesn't make a penny worth of difference to ICGA if they lose CP Geniuses.
Sure...

But in the same time (after banning Rybka)
Exception me, there are many many chess friends who does not pay any penny to IGGA too

Look at latest WCCC,
Only 6 participants and the champion is Junior, but in reality is it true ??
I mean, Junior is the strongest chess engine in the world ??

In other words,
Without Wladimir Klitschko, Mike Tyson ...we can not say:
- This is a 'real' World Championship )) !!
vittyvirus

Post by vittyvirus »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
vittyvirus wrote: But after all its US who are supposed to stand for him. It doesn't make a penny worth of difference to ICGA if they lose CP Geniuses.
Sure...

But in the same time (after banning Rybka)
Exception me, there are many many chess friends who does not pay any penny to IGGA too

Look at latest WCCC,
Only 6 participants and the champion is Junior, but in reality is it true ??
I mean, Junior is the strongest chess engine in the world ??

In other words,
Without Wladimir Klitschko, Mike Tyson ...we can not say:
- This is a 'real' World Championship )) !!
I'm sure that if Vasik wasn't discriminated against he'd would have not left Computer Chess! Somebody call him back!