12 cpu round robin tour

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: 12 cpu round robin tour

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Ozymandias wrote:
Hugo wrote:I think some engines "like" the older platforms.
Rybka for example was always great on the 56XX Xeons, and is rather poor on the E5-26XX v2 Xeons.
So, yay to Nehalem, but nay to Sandy Bridge?
Hugo wrote:I am intrested to continue this tournament with the top 10 or top 8.
Want to use the newest Haswell_E platform for it. 8cpu, DDR 4 RAM, Stockfish and Gull as BMI2 compile, new Komodo 8….. would be a great tour....
You read my mind, although I would replace Chiron or Naum (depending on how many participants you enroll) for Zappa. Always curious to see how this dinosaur runs, on new hardware.
Indeed....

Zappa is great chess engine when comes down to scaling ability regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Hugo wrote: Want to use the newest Haswell_E platform for it. 8cpu, DDR 4 RAM, Stockfish and Gull as BMI2 compile, new Komodo 8..... would be a great tour....

Clemens
Yes, awesome CPU from Intel. Eight proper cores on one physical CPU, I would prefer that to 12 Xeon cores spread across two CPUs.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Rybka for example was always great on the 56XX Xeons, and is rather poor on the E5-26XX v2 Xeons.
Want to use the newest Haswell_E platform for it. 8cpu, DDR 4 RAM, Stockfish and Gull as BMI2 compile, new Komodo 8….. would be a great tour....
You read my mind, although I would replace Chiron or Naum (depending on how many participants you enroll) for Zappa. Always curious to see how this dinosaur runs, on new hardware.
Indeed....

Dr.D
sadly since a long time I have problems to get Zappa Mex II run on my machines in SMP mode. It stops thinking after a while in Fritz and in Shredder gui. I did not found out why.
This is the MAIN reason why Zappa is not playing on my PC#s.
I am sure I would invite it into my 6cpu list.....

Regards

C.K.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Hugo wrote:I have problems to get Zappa Mex II run on my machines in SMP mode.
Even the desktops with one CPU?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Hugo wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Indeed....

Dr.D
sadly since a long time I have problems to get Zappa Mex II run on my machines in SMP mode. It stops thinking after a while in Fritz and in Shredder gui. I did not found out why.
This is the MAIN reason why Zappa is not playing on my PC#s.
I am sure I would invite it into my 6cpu list.....

Regards

C.K.
Hmmm,strange....

It got to be related to the compile of Zappa being too old to run on your top of the notch hardware....

Sadly enough,Zappa's author isn't around anymore and he had abandonded his project....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

You're match again reminds me of the 3 immutable principles of engine chess;

Cores, cores and cores.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE