TCEC Season 7 - Main Thread

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chetday

Re: TCEC Season 7 - Main Thread

Post by chetday »

Henk wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Henk wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:
FriedmannC wrote:Great news, Martin but can't you wait till Houdini 5 shows up? Without Houdini 5, we already know the final.... Stockfish - Komodo :wink: And Deep Hiarcs 15 is to be released this month as far as I know. Deep Fritz 14 and Vitruvius, even Zappa on huge hardware might provide some interesting results
If Houdart wanted to provide a development/beta version of Houdini 5 he could have simply replied to one of my 4-5 emails sent to him the last few months. I have not had a single reply from him, which is sort of unprofessional. And besides, TCEC will not wait for engines to be released - there will always be new versions released.

Mark did not want to provide a beta version of Hiarcs 15, he said it was "far from finished".

The Fritz team also did not want to provide Fritz/Pandix as a UCI engine for TCEC, same as last Season.

Zappa has problems with 16 cores and is too unstable to include (unfortunately).
If I would be busy with repairing bugs or new developments in my chess program I also would not be interested in playing tournaments. And sometimes it's difficult to predict when a new version is ready.
But you would reply to the e-mails sent to you by a person who somehow helped you in promoting your chess engine as a commercial product,won't you :!: :?:
Dr.D
What would you answer? You can't say "My engine is at this moment in a terrible condition. I have major bugs and I don't know if I will ever be able to fix them. " That doesn't sell. Developers are not salesmen.

Or "I was busy with some major improvements in my engine, but it looks like they are total crap. So forget about the next new version this year".

Or what about " My engine is getting too complex I don't see any impossible improvements anymore".

Maybe he has found another job and he has no time for chess related topics anymore. Or he took a sabbatical year.
I suspect Dr. D is merely pointing out that the courteous thing to do would be to reply briefly to an email from someone who has helped you in the past.

That seems to me to be the right thing to do as well... no explanations are necessary -- something like a simple "Thank you Martin for including my engine in the past, but for a variety of reasons that I don't care to discuss I won't be participating this time around." This kind of reply would be more than sufficient to meet common courtesy requirements.

Martin, I'm looking forward to the start of the next tournament. Thanks for hosting this and making it available to us.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Martin Thoresen wrote:Hi all,

I will make one thread for TCEC Season 7 instead of creating new ones for each Stage.
So the start date is Friday 19th of September at 18:00 CEST (16:00 UTC).
There are 4 Stages plus the Superfinal.

All action can be viewed here:
http://tcec.chessdom.com/

STAGE 1A:
Alfil 14.1
Arasan 17.3
Cheng4 0.36c+
Chiron 2
Critter 1.6a
Gaviota 1
Gull 3
Hannibal 1.5x5
Octochess 5374
Protector 1.7b
Spike 1.4
Stockfish 160914
Toga II 010214
Tornado 5

STAGE 1B:
Arminius 090314
Crafty 24
Exchess 7.31b
Houdini 4
Jonny 6
Junior 13.3
Komodo 8
Naum 4.6
Nightmare 7.8
Scorpio 2.77
Senpai 1
Spark 1.1
Texel 1.05a7
The Baron 3.36
Great news, Martin! :)

The real surprise among the participants is Spark 1.1 - does this mean that Spark is now again being developed?

I'm also noticing that Fire is not playing. Any reason for this?

Regards,
CL
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

carldaman wrote: Great news, Martin! :)

The real surprise among the participants is Spark 1.1 - does this mean that Spark is now again being developed?

I'm also noticing that Fire is not playing. Any reason for this?

Regards,
CL
About Spark, well let's just say that Allard was fed up by my constant nagging. :)

Fire is not playing this Season because it played in Season 6 and I usually use the "IPP" engines only once.
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

Spark is my favorite engine do you know what the differences are between 1.1 and 1.0?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Hi Martin,

you might want to check with Engin as to whether he prefers Tornado 4.88 to play rather than Tornado 5.
Just going by comments he exchanged with me.

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

A good thing there's only one engine by clone family. I hope you keep this rule in the future. I don't want to see a tournament between: Sting, DON, DeepSaros, Vitrivius, Bouquet, BlackMamba etc.

With one clone per family only Houdini represents the Robbolito family. Room for diversity, and encourages the authors that deserve it.

PS: If Hiarcs 15 is not ready, why not Hiarcs 14?
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

lucasart wrote:A good thing there's only one engine by clone family. I hope you keep this rule in the future. I don't want to see a tournament between: Sting, DON, DeepSaros, Vitrivius, Bouquet, BlackMamba etc.

With one clone per family only Houdini represents the Robbolito family. Room for diversity, and encourages the authors that deserve it.

PS: If Hiarcs 15 is not ready, why not Hiarcs 14?
You can ask the same question about Rybka and Shredder.

I guess that there is a preference for new programs relative to programs that did not get an update for a long time when the programmer does not ask to participate.
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Hi Martin,

I didn't get a reply or answer about adding DON engine!

As always look forward to follow your tournament..

Kind regards,
JP.
Henk

Post by Henk »

chetday wrote:
Henk wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Henk wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:
FriedmannC wrote:Great news, Martin but can't you wait till Houdini 5 shows up? Without Houdini 5, we already know the final.... Stockfish - Komodo :wink: And Deep Hiarcs 15 is to be released this month as far as I know. Deep Fritz 14 and Vitruvius, even Zappa on huge hardware might provide some interesting results
If Houdart wanted to provide a development/beta version of Houdini 5 he could have simply replied to one of my 4-5 emails sent to him the last few months. I have not had a single reply from him, which is sort of unprofessional. And besides, TCEC will not wait for engines to be released - there will always be new versions released.

Mark did not want to provide a beta version of Hiarcs 15, he said it was "far from finished".

The Fritz team also did not want to provide Fritz/Pandix as a UCI engine for TCEC, same as last Season.

Zappa has problems with 16 cores and is too unstable to include (unfortunately).
If I would be busy with repairing bugs or new developments in my chess program I also would not be interested in playing tournaments. And sometimes it's difficult to predict when a new version is ready.
But you would reply to the e-mails sent to you by a person who somehow helped you in promoting your chess engine as a commercial product,won't you :!: :?:
Dr.D
What would you answer? You can't say "My engine is at this moment in a terrible condition. I have major bugs and I don't know if I will ever be able to fix them. " That doesn't sell. Developers are not salesmen.

Or "I was busy with some major improvements in my engine, but it looks like they are total crap. So forget about the next new version this year".

Or what about " My engine is getting too complex I don't see any impossible improvements anymore".

Maybe he has found another job and he has no time for chess related topics anymore. Or he took a sabbatical year.
I suspect Dr. D is merely pointing out that the courteous thing to do would be to reply briefly to an email from someone who has helped you in the past.

That seems to me to be the right thing to do as well... no explanations are necessary -- something like a simple "Thank you Martin for including my engine in the past, but for a variety of reasons that I don't care to discuss I won't be participating this time around." This kind of reply would be more than sufficient to meet common courtesy requirements.

Martin, I'm looking forward to the start of the next tournament. Thanks for hosting this and making it available to us.
Perhaps het gets hundreds e-mails a day. So he doesn't read them anymore. Or he reads only a few he thinks are really important.

Might also be that he bought a new computer with a new e-mail address. After a while you don't look at the old e-mail address.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

lucasart wrote:PS: If Hiarcs 15 is not ready, why not Hiarcs 14?
Same reason as why he did not want Hiarcs 14 in Season 6 - he felt it was too old.