TCEC Season 7 - Main Thread

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

M ANSARI

Re: TCEC Season 7 - Main Thread

Post by M ANSARI »

I think EGTB's should be allowed as it is one part of an engine equation that needs to be properly implemented. There should be an incentive for an engine developer to use EGTB's in the most efficient way, and not making it a part of the tourney makes this incentive much less. With SSD's being so commonplace and cheap, and the latest EGTB's being so efficient and much smaller in footprint, I think engines should embrace EGTB's and improve their algorithms to make proper usage of this tool. I can't imagine anyone analyzing with an engine today that doesn't use EGTB's.
Henk

Post by Henk »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:Why do you keep defending Houdart's obvious unprofessionalism? Just respond with a simple email; that is all he needed to do. This is not rocket science. Of course the man looks at his emails.
I can imagine that if you get hundreds of e-mail per day you won't be able to handle them properly. Or you will be busy whole day. [Maybe he fired his assistant because his program did sell much worse than last year]
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Graham,

that is right!
But again and again ... I don't like such things.

Fighter
Frank

:-)

All is OK with TCEC.
A wonderful tourney for the community.
Better without Houdini but not very important.
We have a bit for the clone fans.
Martin Thoresen

Hi Frank,

Every Season, people ask why "engine X" is not included instead of "engine Y", or why engine Z is there at all.

Basically, the TCEC lineup varies slightly from Season to Season. I try not to include too many direct clones, for example this Season there are no direct IPP clones like I had in Season 4, 5 and 6 (Vitruvius, Bouquet & Fire).

I do not look at Houdini in this category simply because it is much stronger than those engines.

In any case, it is impossible to satisfy everyone following TCEC, so you just have to take it for what it is. I try to satisfy everyone, but that is not possible.

Best,
Martin
FriedmannC

Post by FriedmannC »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5djHG3hPu0 RYBKA 4 and HOUDINI 4 are the number 4 and the last, probably :wink:
Martin Thoresen

Stage 1a is now live. :)
Maharadja

Post by Maharadja »

Martin Thoresen wrote:Stage 1a is now live. :)
Hi,

Thank you Martin!!!

I am looking forward to the bookless stage.
Leto

Post by Leto »

M ANSARI wrote:I think EGTB's should be allowed as it is one part of an engine equation that needs to be properly implemented. There should be an incentive for an engine developer to use EGTB's in the most efficient way, and not making it a part of the tourney makes this incentive much less. With SSD's being so commonplace and cheap, and the latest EGTB's being so efficient and much smaller in footprint, I think engines should embrace EGTB's and improve their algorithms to make proper usage of this tool. I can't imagine anyone analyzing with an engine today that doesn't use EGTB's.
I agree. I hope season 8 returns to using EGTB.

As for Robert Houdart it is unfortunate the way he abandoned the community, it is simply unprofessional. I could understand his disappointment when he thought he couldn't keep up with Stockfish, but Komodo's ability to keep up with Stockfish puts his argument in doubt.

Either way a simple "thank you for supporting me but I am leaving the community to pursue other goals" would have been appreciated.
FriedmannC

Post by FriedmannC »