Komodo 8 vs Stockfish dev’s (sept14)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

beram

Re: Komodo 8 vs Stockfish dev’s (sept14)

Post by beram »

lkaufman wrote:In general it seems that Stockfish scores better against Komodo than would be expected based on their results against other engines. Contempt may contribute to this, but our tests indicate that it's a pretty minor factor. Perhaps it's just something about their styles. My theory is that because Stockfish is so different from all the other top engines in terms of trading accuracy for depth, it tends to lose or draw a similar number of games to all strong opponents due to the occasional pruned good move, while Komodo just tends to see more than all other engines besides SF most of the time. So Komodo might win a three way event including Houdini or a 4 way event including Gull while still losing the direct match to SF. Of course this all depends on the details like time limit, hardware, etc. Whether strength is best measured by a match of the top two or by a RR of the top three or four is a matter of opinion. Both methods have been used to determine the human World Champion.
I prefer a final, head to head match to decide who is strongest if both come out on top in a big tournament (such as TCEC)
At this moment I think latest SFdev is ahead of about 54-55% over Komodo 8 in such a match at tournament TC
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Guenther wrote:Your opponent propably played during a virus scan or whatever forced his computer to puke. This is all fake...
And you, Sir, have a closed, rigid mind. Anything out of the ordinary or conventional, your mind will refuse to see. Your mind is already made up, no matter what others say....many old men like you here.
In a way I'm glad you and your type disbelieve me ; for obvious reasons, I wouldn't want it generally known that Komodo 8 is actually much stronger than ANY version of Stockfish.
In a way, Beram is not entirely wrong when he claims that Stockfish is stronger.
It is actually the conditions/circumstances under which the Match takes place that determine whether Komodo wins or loses.
Anyway, I waste my time trying to convince you.... you are free to believe what you want to believe.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

shrapnel wrote:
Guenther wrote:Your opponent propably played during a virus scan or whatever forced his computer to puke. This is all fake...
And you, Sir, have a closed, rigid mind. Anything out of the ordinary or conventional, your mind will refuse to see. Your mind is already made up, no matter what others say....many old men like you here.
In a way I'm glad you and your type disbelieve me ; for obvious reasons, I wouldn't want it generally known that Komodo 8 is actually much stronger than ANY version of Stockfish.
In a way, Beram is not entirely wrong when he claims that Stockfish is stronger.
It is actually the conditions/circumstances under which the Match takes place that determine whether Komodo wins or loses.
Anyway, I waste my time trying to convince you.... you are free to believe what you want to believe.
Poor boy, I really don't care if Komodo or Stockfish is stronger.
You still do not understand and will never do. The games you showed were just crap why is that so hard to understand for you?
(and you even advertised them as superior to anything else)

All informations why they were crap were given in your post.
It could have been Engine Anul vs. Engine Bnul but it seems you are too dumb to realize this instead you talk about age and other irrelevant things at the border of insulting.

You always succeed in making youself look like a fool.

But to quote Ronald de Man:
'Don't listen to Anil he is just a known troll'.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

beram wrote:
lkaufman wrote:In general it seems that Stockfish scores better against Komodo than would be expected based on their results against other engines. Contempt may contribute to this, but our tests indicate that it's a pretty minor factor. Perhaps it's just something about their styles. My theory is that because Stockfish is so different from all the other top engines in terms of trading accuracy for depth, it tends to lose or draw a similar number of games to all strong opponents due to the occasional pruned good move, while Komodo just tends to see more than all other engines besides SF most of the time. So Komodo might win a three way event including Houdini or a 4 way event including Gull while still losing the direct match to SF. Of course this all depends on the details like time limit, hardware, etc. Whether strength is best measured by a match of the top two or by a RR of the top three or four is a matter of opinion. Both methods have been used to determine the human World Champion.

I prefer a final, head to head match to decide who is strongest if both come out on top in a big tournament (such as TCEC)
At this moment I think latest SFdev is ahead of about 54-55% over Komodo 8 in such a match at tournament TC
Hi Gentlemen

let me whisper some of my TLC match results :

regards Clemens
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

TCEC final will be very close (if both qualify). I have no favorite and I am not supporting either. Let the best win.
Jouni
beram

Post by beram »

Hugo wrote:
beram wrote:

Hi Gentlemen

let me whisper some of my TLC match results :

regards Clemens
Hi Clemens, I may have missed it, but what was the end result ?
beram

Post by beram »

beram wrote:I have collected some recent test publications to bring some light on the strenght difference between Komodo 8 and the latest Stockfish dev versions (from sept2014)
Conclusion: the SFdev’s of sept14 score between 54 % and 57 % against Komodo 8, from blitz till LTC
See for test results:
LTC 150m30 s (6x) WSET (Sedat Canbaz and Tom Casanovas) - 55% for SF - 50 games
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53582

TC 5m3s (1core) - Owl Chess - 55,5% for SF - 100 games
http://chessowl.blogspot.fr/2014/09/sto ... 8-x64.html

TC 2m2s and 4m0s (6x and 4x) - Tom Casanovas ongoing SFdev tests - 54,61 % for SF - 640 games avg
STOCKFISH 090914a MZ vs Komodo 8 (3266) = 51.87% 160 games;
STOCKFISH 140914 MZ vs Komodo 8 (3266) = 57.19% 160 games;
STOCKFISH 190914 MZ vs Komodo 8 (3266) = 57.19% 160 games;
STOCKFISH DEv 210914 vs Komodo 8 (3266) = 52.19% 160 games
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=360

TC 1min0s (6x), Bobby Johnsson – 57,1% for SF - 500games
1 Stockfish 2109 +50 +167/=237/-96 57.10% 285.5/500
2 Komodo 8 64-bit
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53819
It becomes clearer that latest SF dev (from nov 2014) have a much improved level of play.
For instance 58,85 % against Komodo 8 in 480 games and 60% against the big three in 1440 games.
In sept it was 54,61 % against K8 for SF in 640 games on avg

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 45&t=47512
Hai

Post by Hai »

I think at fast tc. Stockfish is a little bit stronger than Komodo.
But at long tc. and more cores (TCEC) Komodo is much stronger than Stockfish, maybe +40 ELO.
The Stockfish testing queue is to often empty.
I understand much easier why Stockfish lost against Komodo = Stockfishs blunder can't be on a 3000 ELO lvl.
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Lovely statement, but I don't think it is quite accurate.

My personal test result after 1000 games with 5m+3s on 8 cores tells me the november dev SF is about 28 elo better than K8.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

No contradiction - 5m+3s is a "fast" time control.