Komodo 9.1 64-bit 8CPU v Stockfish 290615 64-bit 8CPU Match

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Games 107 and 108

Post by Graham Banks »

lkaufman wrote:Thanks for running this. What was the White vs. Black score (I know I could derive it myself, but maybe you have it handy)? Any particular reason for choosing the ..Qd6 Scandinavian (maybe just a personal preference? Perhaps the somewhat open character makes luck less of a factor in the result? In general, choosing openings with a larger than average White advantage tends to reduce draws and therefore tends to keep the luck factor down as the sample size of decisive games increases.
Hi Larry,

I think the graph posted shows the white score.

I chose the Qd6 Scandinavian as I've been exploring it further as an alternative to the Qa5 variation, which has always been a favourite of mine.
I went through GM Tiviakov's DVD on the Qd6 variation and noted the lines that he suggested as playable by black in response to various white tries.
My hope was to find whether or not there were any nasty surprises.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
beram

Post by beram »

Graham Banks wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Thanks for running this. What was the White vs. Black score (I know I could derive it myself, but maybe you have it handy)? Any particular reason for choosing the ..Qd6 Scandinavian (maybe just a personal preference? Perhaps the somewhat open character makes luck less of a factor in the result? In general, choosing openings with a larger than average White advantage tends to reduce draws and therefore tends to keep the luck factor down as the sample size of decisive games increases.
Hi Larry,

I chose the Qd6 Scandinavian as I've been exploring it further as an alternative to the Qa5 variation, which has always been a favourite of mine.
I went through GM Tiviakov's DVD on the Qd6 variation and noted the lines that he suggested as playable by black in response to various white tries.

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham, thx for the nice high quality match and congrats to the Komodo team. Its latest Komodo 9.1 version seems to be definitely stronger than the latest Stockfish dev's

Perhaps you have other conclusions but as far as I can see there is just one line, line 6

Code: Select all

- 1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qd6 4. d4 Nf6 5. Nf3 c6 6. h3 Bf5 7. g4 Bg6 8. Ne5 Nbd7 9. f4 e6 10. Bg2 Qc7 *
which seems to favor white very (too) much.
Both opponents won in this line with white convincingly in a clear strategic way. White exploits its space advantage after an early 6 g4 with combined tactical threats on black king position and the white coloured black bishop. Komodo played after 11. 0-0 - 0-0-0 12 Qe1 !? which seems just even stronger than 12 Qe2 the move Stockfish chose

grts Bram
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

beram wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Hi Larry,

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham, thx for the nice high quality match and congrats to the Komodo team. Its latest Komodo 9.1 version seems to be definitely stronger than the latest Stockfish dev's

Perhaps you have other conclusions but as far as I can see there is just one line, line 6

Code: Select all

- 1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qd6 4. d4 Nf6 5. Nf3 c6 6. h3 Bf5 7. g4 Bg6 8. Ne5 Nbd7 9. f4 e6 10. Bg2 Qc7 *
which seems to favor white very (too) much.
Both opponents won in this line with white convincingly in a clear strategic way. White exploits its space advantage after an early 6 g4 with combined tactical threats on black king position and the white coloured black bishop. Komodo played after 11. 0-0 - 0-0-0 12 Qe1 !? which seems just even stronger than 12 Qe2 the move Stockfish chose

grts Bram
I just wanted to ask Graham whether his opinion of the Skandinavian with ...Qd6 has changed either way as a result of this match? The 57% score for White was pretty normal at this level.
Komodo rules!