Komodo vs. Movsesian

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How will Komodo score in six handicap games vs. Movsesian?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:03 pm

1.5 or less out of 6.
12%
2 out of 6.
No votes
2.5 out of 6.
24%
3 out of 6.
47%
3.5 out of 6.
18%

Total votes: 17

lkaufman

Re: Komodo vs. Movsesian

Post by lkaufman »

Because the third game was postponed due to many delays today, it will resume tomorrow at 11 a.m.czech time, which (unfortunately for us iin the Western hemisphere) is 5 a.m. eastern time. But all four remaining games are planned to be played tomorrow, so the match should be completed by the planned time.
Komodo rules!
Jesse Gersenson

Re: Live now: Komodo vs. Movsesian

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

lkaufman wrote:We discovered that the problem was that cleaning people pulled out the internet cable when I was in another room, and it wasn't obvious. Won't be a problem tomorrow.
Right, because tomorrow Komodo's gonna mop the floor with Movsesian.

We used my trusty dual-core notebook to hold the draw in game two.

Larry's starting time above is wrong. Tomorrow we're starting at 5am New York time, 11am Berlin time. We'll play one game. Take a break for lunch and then continue playing.

I set up a server in Germany to be used as a backup (the company's website said their cleaning people there don't vaccume their routers).
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote:My simulation results at Exchange odds are not quite as bad as at f7 handicap. So far, again with the winning side (in this case Black) giving 30' + 30" to 1' + 1" time odds on quad, Black leads by three wins to one, with eight draws, which is 58 elo. So, in round numbers, it looks like Exchange odds is around 500 elo and f7 odds around 650 elo (or more if you discount the strange games where White returned the pawn on move three). Since there are twice as many f7 games, the weighted average of the handicap values for the match is at least 600, so if we call Movsesian 2700 we are in effect playing an opponent of at least 3300 strength.
what would you say was komodo's elo perormance in this latest match?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

duncan wrote:
lkaufman wrote:My simulation results at Exchange odds are not quite as bad as at f7 handicap. So far, again with the winning side (in this case Black) giving 30' + 30" to 1' + 1" time odds on quad, Black leads by three wins to one, with eight draws, which is 58 elo. So, in round numbers, it looks like Exchange odds is around 500 elo and f7 odds around 650 elo (or more if you discount the strange games where White returned the pawn on move three). Since there are twice as many f7 games, the weighted average of the handicap values for the match is at least 600, so if we call Movsesian 2700 we are in effect playing an opponent of at least 3300 strength.
what would you say was komodo's elo perormance in this latest match?
It's hard to be too precise about the handicap value, and there's the question of whether to use Movsesian's standard or rapid rating or (probably fairest) the midway point, but in round numbers I would say 3450 FIDE.
Komodo rules!
Albert Silver

Re: Live now: Komodo vs. Movsesian

Post by Albert Silver »

lkaufman wrote:We discovered that the problem was that cleaning people pulled out the internet cable when I was in another room, and it wasn't obvious. Won't be a problem tomorrow.
There was a ghastly story in the papers here a few years ago on such an issue. The police was investigating a hospital in which the number of deaths was unusually high in the intensive care unit. They had noted the deaths all took place on a Friday. They checked the records of all the doctors and nurses but could find nothing that even remotely hinted at who it could be. They had installed cameras and found the culprit:

A fake patient in one of the 'horror' rooms was all hooked up, doing nothing, when at 11AM the cleaning lady came in. After two minutes of wiping dirt with a cloth, she yanked out the power strip to plug in her vacuum cleaner... The life support machines all went dead. When she was done 20 minutes later, she forgot to plug it back on.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."