Brainfish Numa 2 questions

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Canoike

Brainfish Numa 2 questions

Post by Canoike »

Hi,

I have 2 questions about Brainfish numa for linux.
1) How do I know if my CPU is Numa compatible ? It's a Core I5.

2) I have 2 versions of Ubuntu. The numa brainfish compiles well under ubuntu 14.04 (gcc 4.8). In contrast I get an error message at the end of the compilation under ubuntu 16.04 (gcc 5.4); something about a "lto-wrapper".
Any idea ?

Thanks.
Thomas Zipproth

Re: Brainfish Numa 2 questions

Post by Thomas Zipproth »

Canoike wrote:
1) How do I know if my CPU is Numa compatible ? It's a Core I5.

2) I have 2 versions of Ubuntu. The numa brainfish compiles well under ubuntu 14.04 (gcc 4.8). In contrast I get an error message at the end of the compilation under ubuntu 16.04 (gcc 5.4); something about a "lto-wrapper".
If you have one CPU, your Computer does not need or use Numa. But this Version should be a bit faster on every system, because of the shared counter move history table.

You can enter the command "info" after starting Brainfish in a shell, that should display the NUMA info. There is a file NUMa.txt in the download, which explaines the output for windows. I haven't checked how the output looks in Linux, it may be a bit cryptic.

I observed too that some compilers crash with the Numa source code, it seems during LTO (Link time optimization). Since this is important for performance, I would not turn it off but use a compiler version which works. So far I have no idea what exactly causes the crash in the compiler.

Thomas
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

The command "info" returns this :

Numa Hardware Configuration
cpuBitset: 0 1 2 3

for xubuntu 14.04 (gcc 4.8.4)

By the way, your website is currently unattainable.
Thomas Zipproth

Post by Thomas Zipproth »

Thanks, I will try to make a more readable output when I have time.

Not sure what happened with the website, the whole domain seems to be down. Must wait till tomorrow, 1 a.m. here now.