Swiss Chess Tournament

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sergio Martinez

Swiss Chess Tournament

Post by Sergio Martinez »

SWISS CHESS TOURNAMENT

- GUI : Arena
- Swiss system tournament. Depending on the number of engines, I will make divisions to distribute to the engines. Depending on that, some engines will gain automatic promotion and the bottom engines will gain automatic relegation. Same respect rounds of each division.
- Time control: 40/4 (adapted to the CCRL benchmark). I will surely run, after this tournament, another Swiss tournament of 40/40 adapted to CCRL.
- Ponder off
- Threads : 1
- Default hash=256Mb,
- Endgame tablebases: Syzygy -- Nalimov -- Scorpio Bitbases -- Gaviota ---64Mb hash
- Resign is set to -5 for 3 consecutive moves where able.
- Updates will not be allowed during each tournament (each division)
- Open to all Winboard and UCI engines (free, private and commercial).
- The similarity tool will be used to determine whether or not an engine can participate (Engines allowed until 70% of moves match).
- Results will be rated only for engines already in the CCRL lists.
- All engines will use the same opening book limited to an 8 move depth.
- Engine authors can either post their wish for their engine to participate or contact through email (sergiomg24@hotmail.com) or private message. I will choose engines by myself too.
- Entries will close a few days before the event starts. The tournament will start next February 1.

You can follow there: http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... f=7&t=8925
velmarin

Re: Swiss Chess Tournament

Post by velmarin »

Sergio Martinez wrote: - The similarity tool will be used to determine whether or not an engine can participate (Engines allowed until 70% of moves match).
Hola Sergio.

Code: Select all

Te hago un quote por curiosodad de este tema, exactamente cómo  lo haces, comandos, que quiere decir 70% match, pregunto por curiosidad y entender más esta herramienta.  
I make you a quote out of curiosity on this topic, exactly how you do it, commands, which means 70% match, ask for curiosity and understand this tool more.
cdani

Post by cdani »

Please, take the last Andscacs for your tournament. Thanks!
Sergio Martinez

velmarin wrote:
Sergio Martinez wrote: - The similarity tool will be used to determine whether or not an engine can participate (Engines allowed until 70% of moves match).
Hola Sergio.

Te hago un quote por curiosodad de este tema, exactamente cómo  lo haces, comandos, que quiere decir 70% match, pregunto por curiosidad y entender más esta herramienta.  
I make you a quote out of curiosity on this topic, exactly how you do it, commands, which means 70% match, ask for curiosity and understand this tool more.
Hola José

Pues verás, uso la herramienta similarity tool. Básicamente y en resumen lo que hace es poner a pensar al motor en miles de posiciones y comprobar los resultados coincidentes con otros motores. Dependiendo de los resultados, la aplicación te da un porcentaje de similitud entre el motor que preguntes y el resto, ordenandolos por porcentaje. Es un muy útil aunque obviamente no es definitiva, pero al menos para los no programadores como yo sirve para conocer si un motor es prácticamente igual a otro. En la aplicación hay unos parámetros a tener en cuenta como tiempo por jugada, profundidad etc. Existen explicaciones técnicas en este mismo foro.

Creo que en este enlace está muy bien explicado y te puedes hacer una amplia idea: http://www.top-5000.nl/clone.htm

Un saludo.

Well you will see, I use the tool similarity tool. Basically and in summary, that use the engine to think in thousands of positions and check the results matching with other engines. Depending on the results, the application gives you a percentage of similarity between the engine you ask and the rest of engines, sorting them by percentage. It is a very useful but obviously not definitive, but at least for non-programmers like me it is a useful tool to know if one engine is practically the same as another. In the application there are some parameters to consider such as time per move, depth, etc. There are technical explanations in this forum.

I think in this link is all well explained and you can make an idea: http://www.top-5000.nl/clone.htm

Greetings
Sergio Martinez

cdani wrote:Please, take the last Andscacs for your tournament. Thanks!
Sure! :wink:
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Sergio Martinez wrote: Greetings

Yes, thanks, everything is known, I wonder about how you use the tool, what commands, ect.

I was curious about 70%, if you mean 70% similarity.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

velmarin wrote:
Sergio Martinez wrote: Greetings

Yes, thanks, everything is known, I wonder about how you use the tool, what commands, ect.

I was curious about 70%, if you mean 70% similarity.
With 70% all sinners will be saints again - it's christmas ;-)

StdD  %           prob
0	45.16	1 chance in 2
1	48.02	1 chance in 6
2	50.88	1 chance in 44
3	53.74	1 chance in 741
4	56.60	1 chance in 31,574
5	59.46	1 chance in 3,488,556
6	62.32	1 chance in 1,013,594,635
7	65.18	1 chance in 781,332,343,402
8	68.04	 
9	70.90	 
Sergio Martinez

Hi Jose

Im out of home, but If I remember well the settings I use are: sim -c config.ini 500

Where config.ini contains the settings of engine (hash=256, 1 thread) and 500 is the time used (time in milliseconds - default 100 ms).

I mean 70% of matched moves like 70% similarity.

Like Adam says "This tool, in conjunction with other tests, can be used to detect possible clones and derived engines. ", this is the reason I up to 70%.

In my opinion with 60% might be enough but its true it can have some problems, and in my tournament I accept derivatives. I only reject clones.
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

I will also like to join. I will send you a binary closer to 1st of February.
Sergio Martinez

brtzsnr wrote:I will also like to join. I will send you a binary closer to 1st of February.
Thank you Alexandru :)