YLCET - What's the next tournament?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

yorkman

YLCET - What's the next tournament?

Post by yorkman »

We are looking to see what you, the viewers, would like to see for the next YLCET tournament, so perhaps I'll start it off with the following questions:

1) Rather than a ~ 100 game tournament followed by a ~ 100 game Super Final, what if we put in a Semi-Final stage in between that?

2) For the past few tournament we've been running only the top 3 engines - SF, Houdini and Komodo. Shall we make it a top 4 or 5 tournament with the top 2 engines going head to head in the Super Final?

3) If you want more than the top 3 engines, do you want the first tournaments to be blitz, perhaps a 10 or 15 min. time control followed by a semi-final that's ~ 60 mins and a Super Final of the top 2 engines using a 75 or 90 min time control?

You are welcome to provide feedback and suggestions. While we can't satisfy everyone's preferences we will listen to the majority so I hope to see more than just a couple of replies. After all, I'm running the tournament for your entertainment pleasure only.

If you'd like to watch the current live broadcast of the SuperFinal X3 tournament (SF vs Komodo 11.3.1) visit:

http://chess.my2dollars.ca
Hardware: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2696v3 processors (36 cores) @ 2.80 GHz
jdart

Re: YLCET - What's the next tournament?

Post by jdart »

Personally I like long time controls.

Would be interesting to have a thematic tourney: for example, French Winawer or Classical Sicilian. You could pick some interesting opening lines (I can suggest some).

--Jon
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Take the top eight engines and run a knockout tournament based on 24 game matches for each pairing.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

Regarding time controls, I would rather see 60 + 15 than 75 + 10 or 90 + 10.

The extra 5 seconds means quite a bit with that many cores, raising the minimum quality of play.
arunsoorya1309

Post by arunsoorya1309 »

good suggestion even 30 seconds wud be good
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

I would prefer 60+30 and the top 5 engines :)
Vizvezdenec

Post by Vizvezdenec »

Top-5 engines is kinda boring in a meaning that 4th and 5th play only to not lose vs any of top 3, w/o any signifficant chances to win a single game...
yorkman

Post by yorkman »

jdart wrote:Personally I like long time controls.

Would be interesting to have a thematic tourney: for example, French Winawer or Classical Sicilian. You could pick some interesting opening lines (I can suggest some).

--Jon
We are currently running a thematic tourney, the SuperFinal X3 all with KGA.
Thanks for your feedback.
yorkman

Post by yorkman »

So it sounds like 60+30 time control is ok. And so far some want top 3 to continue playing while others want 4-5 or 8. I think it should be top 3 unless the developer of the 4th+ engine wants to give us the latest development version, such as Fire for example. More than 3 engines though would decide better which is the top engine since it not only has to try to get points against top engine but also against weaker engines. So it's not just about 4th+ engines trying not to lose against top engines.

Regarding engine updates.

I think there should be a small penalty if we accept engine updates mid-tournament. Currently there's no penalty but perhaps we should deduct a point or half-point for each engine update during a live tournament?

What do you guys think?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

yorkman wrote:Regarding engine updates.

I think there should be a small penalty if we accept engine updates mid-tournament. Currently there's no penalty but perhaps we should deduct a point or half-point for each engine update during a live tournament?

What do you guys think?
I don't like penalties.
gbanksnz at gmail.com