Chess Engine Olympiad. Ed. II

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sergio Martinez

Chess Engine Olympiad. Ed. II

Post by Sergio Martinez »

I make this announcement because I would like more engines to participate in the tournament, so I could add other countries. At the moment there is no safe start date but the tournament is scheduled to begin in October, so I would ask the authors interested in participating to communicate soon. Thanks

This tournament has two phases:

-The first phase is a qualifying tournament where the best engines will play to get a place in the team (or teams, depending on the number of participants, level, interest of programmers, etc.) in each country. These tournaments will depend on the number of participants to establish a Swiss system or a round robin.

-The second phase will be played following a Swiss system where each team will consist of four engines. In the same way, the rounds of the Swiss tournament will be established according to the number of teams participating. The total points got, will be computed (not the victories or draws between teams) and the Buchholz Cut and Buchholz Total will be used as a tie-break system.

-Possibly there will be great news, but until it is safe I will not announce anything.

Software/Rules

GUI : Arena (3.51)
Time control: Adapted to 40/40 CCRL (benchmark).
Ponder: off
Threads : 1
Default hash=256Mb
Endgame tablebases: Syzygy - Nalimov - Scorpio Bitbases - Gaviota. Hash set to 64Mb.
Resign is set to -5 for 3 consecutive moves where able.
Updates will not be allowed during each tournament phase (only when first phase ends and until second phase starts).
-Allowed all Winboard and UCI engines (free, private and commercial).
-The similarity tool will be used to determine whether or not an engine can participate (Engines allowed until 70% of moves match).
-Results will be rated only for engines already in the CCRL lists. (except for private engines)
-All engines will use the same opening book limited to an 8 move depth.
-Engine authors can either post their wish for their engine to participate or contact through email (sergiomg24@hotmail.com) or private message. I will choose engines by myself too.[/b]

Rounds: not determinated yet

Deadline to send updates: ? (as announcement above is scheduled to begin in October, however I will notify in advance to send private versions)

http://swisstourneys.pcriot.com/CEO.htm
Member of the CCRL Group. Write me if you want I test your engine.