LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Milos
Posts: 3226
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 am

LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by Milos » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 am

Both using 8 cores Xeon E5-2670 at 3GHz all cores frequency. SF10 running on 16 threads (HT on), Lc0 v0.19 openblas implementation with 8 threads.
Private opening set, 50 openings limited to 6 moves.
TC: 1min+1s
Result:
SF10 99.5 points
Lc0 0.5 points
+99 =1 -0
Winning percentage = 99.5%
Lc0 is 920Elo weaker than SF10.
Last edited by Milos on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewGrant
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:08 am
Location: U.S.A
Full name: Andrew Grant
Contact:

Re: LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by AndrewGrant » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:30 am

Milos wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 am
Both using 8 cores Xeon E5-2670 at 3GHz all cores frequency. SF10 running on 16 threads (HT on), Lc0 v0.19 openblas implementation with 8 threads.
Private opening set, 50 openings limited to 6 moves.
TC: 1min+1s
Result:
SF10 99.5 points
Lc0 0.5 points
+99 =1 -0
Winning percentage = 99.5%
Lc0 is 920Elo weaker than SF10.
I believe the results more than I believe you would waste your time getting a working openblas version of Leela

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 31480
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by Graham Banks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 am

AndrewGrant wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:30 am
Milos wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 am
Both using 8 cores Xeon E5-2670 at 3GHz all cores frequency. SF10 running on 16 threads (HT on), Lc0 v0.19 openblas implementation with 8 threads.
Private opening set, 50 openings limited to 6 moves.
TC: 1min+1s
Result:
SF10 99.5 points
Lc0 0.5 points
+99 =1 -0
Winning percentage = 99.5%
Lc0 is 920Elo weaker than SF10.
I believe the results more than I believe you would waste your time getting a working openblas version of Leela
I can't get the openblas version of Lc0 to work properly with any more than 4 cores.
If I try 5,6,7 or 8 cores (on a 2x4CPU octal), Lc0 will lock up the computer after a few moves, meaning a reboot.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

mwyoung
Posts: 1014
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by mwyoung » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 am

Lc0 Network 31777 Vs Stockfish 10
Both engines using GTX 965 Graphics Card with over 1000 CUDA Cores.
50 openings limited to 6 moves.
TC: 1min+1s
Result:
Lc0 100 points
Stockfish 10 0 points
+100 =0 -0
Winning percentage = 100%
Stockfish 10 is 1000 Elo weaker than Lc0.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

User avatar
lucasart
Posts: 3014
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 11:29 am
Full name: lucasart
Contact:

Re: LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by lucasart » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 am

mwyoung wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 am
Lc0 Network 31777 Vs Stockfish 10
Both engines using GTX 965 Graphics Card with over 1000 CUDA Cores.
50 openings limited to 6 moves.
TC: 1min+1s
Result:
Lc0 100 points
Stockfish 10 0 points
+100 =0 -0
Winning percentage = 100%
Stockfish 10 is 1000 Elo weaker than Lc0.
More LCO fake news ?
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.

MonteCarlo
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Re: LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by MonteCarlo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:55 pm

lucasart wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 am
mwyoung wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 am
Lc0 Network 31777 Vs Stockfish 10
Both engines using GTX 965 Graphics Card with over 1000 CUDA Cores.
50 openings limited to 6 moves.
TC: 1min+1s
Result:
Lc0 100 points
Stockfish 10 0 points
+100 =0 -0
Winning percentage = 100%
Stockfish 10 is 1000 Elo weaker than Lc0.
More LCO fake news ?
Actually I think that particular result is pretty clearly correct at the moment (albeit a bit of a joke, I suspect, aimed at the first result in the thread being both engines on CPU) :D
Both engines using GTX 965 Graphics Card with over 1000 CUDA Cores.
Cheers!

Milos
Posts: 3226
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 am

Re: LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by Milos » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm

MonteCarlo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:55 pm
lucasart wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 am
mwyoung wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 am
Lc0 Network 31777 Vs Stockfish 10
Both engines using GTX 965 Graphics Card with over 1000 CUDA Cores.
50 openings limited to 6 moves.
TC: 1min+1s
Result:
Lc0 100 points
Stockfish 10 0 points
+100 =0 -0
Winning percentage = 100%
Stockfish 10 is 1000 Elo weaker than Lc0.
More LCO fake news ?
Actually I think that particular result is pretty clearly correct at the moment (albeit a bit of a joke, I suspect, aimed at the first result in the thread being both engines on CPU) :D
Both engines using GTX 965 Graphics Card with over 1000 CUDA Cores.
Cheers!
Your reply as well as the upper attempt of "joke" shows how ppl are actually clueless and lack basic logic (and the wonderful irony in your nickname that is actually name of algorithm that exclusively requires CPU to run).
Neither SF nor Lc0 nor any other engine can actually run only on graphics card, i.e. requires general CPU because it has a search. (The only exception to that would be Zeta engine by Srdja Matovic).
So trying to run any engine (Lc0 included) exclusively on GPU is meaningless joke or no joke in question.

MonteCarlo
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Re: LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by MonteCarlo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Milos wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm
Your reply as well as the upper attempt of "joke" shows how ppl are actually clueless and lack basic logic (and the wonderful irony in your nickname that is actually name of algorithm that exclusively requires CPU to run).
Neither SF nor Lc0 nor any other engine can actually run only on graphics card, i.e. requires general CPU because it has a search. (The only exception to that would be Zeta engine by Srdja Matovic).
So trying to run any engine (Lc0 included) exclusively on GPU is meaningless joke or no joke in question.
Heh, well, this will be my last reply on this point, as I don't like feeding such behavior.

Just a couple closing points:

1) I never said the comparison exploited in the joke was completely apt or held up to technical scrutiny. Not my joke, and even if it were, if all jokes relied on every element being 100% scientifically accurate we'd not have many jokes. If you wish to get riled up over such things, that's your preference, of course.

2) My reply shows nothing about my being clueless or lacking basic logic. lucasart replied to what seemed clearly to be a joke as though it were a serious factual claim, and I tried to helpfully point out that it seemed likely a joke. Nothing about that is lacking in logic or clueless.

I'm human, and couldn't resist at least this response to your unwarranted hostility. I'm done feeding now, though.

Cheers!

User avatar
lucasart
Posts: 3014
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 11:29 am
Full name: lucasart
Contact:

Re: LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by lucasart » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 am

MonteCarlo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:46 pm
Milos wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm
Your reply as well as the upper attempt of "joke" shows how ppl are actually clueless and lack basic logic (and the wonderful irony in your nickname that is actually name of algorithm that exclusively requires CPU to run).
Neither SF nor Lc0 nor any other engine can actually run only on graphics card, i.e. requires general CPU because it has a search. (The only exception to that would be Zeta engine by Srdja Matovic).
So trying to run any engine (Lc0 included) exclusively on GPU is meaningless joke or no joke in question.
Heh, well, this will be my last reply on this point, as I don't like feeding such behavior.

Just a couple closing points:

1) I never said the comparison exploited in the joke was completely apt or held up to technical scrutiny. Not my joke, and even if it were, if all jokes relied on every element being 100% scientifically accurate we'd not have many jokes. If you wish to get riled up over such things, that's your preference, of course.

2) My reply shows nothing about my being clueless or lacking basic logic. lucasart replied to what seemed clearly to be a joke as though it were a serious factual claim, and I tried to helpfully point out that it seemed likely a joke. Nothing about that is lacking in logic or clueless.

I'm human, and couldn't resist at least this response to your unwarranted hostility. I'm done feeding now, though.

Cheers!
Except your joke doesn't work, because to even run an OS and chess engines you need a CPU. A GPU alone can't even boot the computer.

I can also beat Leela and Stockfish at Tetris and Pacman easily.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.

MonteCarlo
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Re: LC0 network 31740 vs Stockfish 10

Post by MonteCarlo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm

lucasart wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 am

Except your joke doesn't work, because to even run an OS and chess engines you need a CPU. A GPU alone can't even boot the computer.

I can also beat Leela and Stockfish at Tetris and Pacman easily.
I'll repeat what I already said to Milos and you quoted:
Not my joke, and even if it were, if all jokes relied on every element being 100% scientifically accurate we'd not have many jokes. If you wish to get riled up over such things, that's your preference, of course.
As I've already said, it seemed to me that the post from mwyoung was intended to be a joke but was not interpreted as such, so I was trying to be helpful. I didn't realize that would be interpreted as an invitation to provide condescending explanations that someone else's joke wouldn't make sense as a factual report (well, ok, I expect such nonsense from Milos).

My apologies for trying to help. Won't happen again.

Post Reply