Leela Chess Zero 42656 vs Stockfish 210619

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nordlandia

Re: Leela Chess Zero 42656 vs Stockfish 210619

Post by Nordlandia »

Initially it was me that started the it all, but i hoped he launched the matches under proper conditions.

Leela always uses CPU for some of its function.
You can't enable ponder on with same settings as if ponder were off. Even if SF play on CPU and Lc0 on GPU, leela need some CPU time and that CPU time is already used on stockfish. It compromises the calculations and wrecks the quality of the games. Also the recording device may also interfere a tiny bit whether you can notice it or not.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Nordlandia wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:33 pm
mwyoung - Keep up to date. I am using 36 threads. And the ponder on matches keep coming. Because my judgement prevails...

It is quite remarkable that you don't listen to the regulars on this forum. Now you're handicapping your match even further, running 36 threaded matches on a 32 threaded cpu is utterly hopeless, just saying.

Let's look at my handicap.

Stockfish 40 million nps game average.
Lc0 over 80 thousand nps game average.
And hundreds of millions and sometimes billions of hash table hits.

Your issues is even running ponder matches. I run much faster than your hardware.

How will I keep posting with such a slow POS.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

mwyoung wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:59 pm
mwyoung - Keep up to date. I am using 36 threads. And the ponder on matches keep coming. Because my judgement prevails...

It is quite remarkable that you don't listen to the regulars on this forum. Now you're handicapping your match even further, running 36 threaded matches on a 32 threaded cpu is utterly hopeless, just saying.

Your issues is even running ponder matches. I run much faster than your hardware.

For using ponder on your system there is a modest speed trade-off for stability. Atleast think about it and consider it.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Nordlandia wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:43 pm

For using ponder on your system there is a modest speed trade-off for stability. Atleast think about it and consider it.
I can see humility is not one of his strengths - God Bless you for your patience, I am not able to match you in that department , but I’m working on it.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 pm
Nordlandia wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:43 pm

I can see humility is not one of his strengths - God Bless you for your patience, I am not able to match you in that department , but I’m working on it.
And I see that honesty is not one of yours. You are not interested in my setting or testing methods. You are interested in being a ass.

I am one tester. CCRL is many testers. And you have no issues with CCRL. Dumming down their systems to match the obsolete 2.4 Ghz AMD athlon processor.

I run 20 to 30 times faster in my testing. And you have an issue with only my testing. Who are you trying to fool. So go and pedel your fake outrage some where else.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

mwyoung: the way i interpret your replies is that you're afraid of sacrificing speed (modest speed penalty), something that is most necessary when running with ponder enabled.

Perhaps you should purchase another identical machine then two computer matches solves all of the issues mentioned in this thread.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:10 am mwyoung: the way i interpret your replies is that you're afraid of sacrificing speed (modest speed penalty), something that is most necessary when running with ponder enabled.

Perhaps you should purchase another identical machine then two computer matches solves all of the issues mentioned in this thread.
You bring up a good point about sacrificing speed.
Did you know CCRL is testing chess engines by using the speed of a Athlon 64 X2 4600+ as a gauge to slow down their computers.
The Athlon 64 X2 4600+ was released in 2005. Almost 15 years ago.
You can buy a Athlon 64 X2 4600+ right now on ebay for around $5.

Did you know the Athlon 64 X2 4600+ has a cinebench R15 score of 90. My 2950x has a score of 3700. That is like 40 times faster.

On my computer I would have to use a time control of 5 seconds in 40 moves if I used the Athlon 64 X2 4600+ as a gauge to slow down my computer.

What kind of clown car show is CCRL running......
filepicker_FZLKRu3aTQujSPegOvqg_clown_car.jpg
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

mwyoung wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:00 pm
Nordlandia wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:10 am mwyoung: the way i interpret your replies is that you're afraid of sacrificing speed (modest speed penalty), something that is most necessary when running with ponder enabled.

Did you know CCRL is testing chess engines by using the speed of a Athlon 64 X2 4600+ as a gauge to slow down their computers.

Did you know the Athlon 64 X2 4600+ has a cinebench R15 score of 90. My 2950x has a score of 3700. That is like 40 times faster.

On my computer I would have to use a time control of 5 seconds in 40 moves if I used the Athlon 64 X2 4600+ as a gauge to slow down my computer.

Nordlandia where did you go?

You were telling me about how important it was not to sacrifice speed.

All I did was point out that the premier chess engine testing site of CCRL.
Uses the ancient, irrelevant, and obsolete Athlon 64 X2 4600+ from 2005 as a
standard bench in 2019 to dummy down the modern hardware in all chess engine test.

I am sure you, and MikeB are just too busy posting to G.B. post of CCRL. About how outraged you are in his chess engine testing methods. :lol:

CCRL chess engine testing.....
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

Cinebench isn't NPS performance.
Besides your 2950x has a lot more threads and CCRL only tests with 1 and 4 cores.
Your single core performance is at most 3 times as good as the old Athlon. (probably more like 2 times as good)
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Raphexon wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:23 am

Cinebench isn't NPS performance.
Besides your 2950x has a lot more threads and CCRL only tests with 1 and 4 cores.
Your single core performance is at most 3 times as good as the old Athlon. (probably more like 2 times as good)
You test with more threads because we live in 2019. You test at the full potential of the CPU, Ram speed and size. Not dumming it down to a CPU that came out in 2005.

The maximum hash size CCRL is allowed to use is 1 GB. This is the year 2019, not 2005.

CCRL is only testing with 5 man TB. This is year 2019....

CCRL testing standars are obsolete, and irrelevant in 2019.