SPCC: Testrun of Lc0 42741 finished

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sovaz1997

Re: SPCC: Testrun of Lc0 42741 finished

Post by sovaz1997 »

mwyoung wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:29 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:14 am you provide w=22 games
A child laughs

You have no understanding whatsoever and yet you criticize,
Someday you may have something useful to say
I do not hold my breath
No, you want to pretend to be noble, and protect the status quo.

And you want to ignore the facts, and misrepresent my testing by suggesting I have not tested NN engines and the best A/B engines in many thousands of games, and other testing like TCEC, and other testers.

You say there is no evidence that NN scale better the A/B engine when you know that this is a lie.

You will not answer how Lc0 dominates all A/B engines when not played at ridiculously fast time controls in a effort to gather 5000 low quality games in the shortest amount of time.

You are a pretender....
Your test does not say anything about Leela's level, because an insufficient number of games.
Zevra 2 is my chess engine. Binary, source and description here: https://github.com/sovaz1997/Zevra2
Zevra v2.5 is last version of Zevra: https://github.com/sovaz1997/Zevra2/releases
Michel

Post by Michel »

Leela is best. Any test that shows otherwise is flawed.
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

mwyoung wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:29 am ... played at ridiculously fast time controls in a effort to gather 5000 low quality games in the shortest amount of time.
I'll probably regret getting into this, but ...

I assume the reason for using fast time controls is to get enough games to reach a certain level of statistical significance. I doubt it's part of some widespread conspiracy to keep neural net engines down. :wink:

In the "Maybe I understand your frustration" category, I've long wondered if Stockfish would be even stronger on high-end hardware at long time controls if it were possible to use much longer time controls during Fishtest testing of patches. But it's not; the time required to reach a statistically sound conclusion would simply be too long. So we make due with a Stockfish whose search and evaluation are optimized to play very fast games.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

zullil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:11 pm I'll probably regret getting into this, but ...
As will I...…

But lets assume that NN engines do scale better than A/B engines (and I do think there is some evidence that that is the case) then is mwyoung suggesting that everyone adjust their testing conditions to show NN engines in the best possible light ? Some might say that is bias and favouritism. If NN engine authors want their engines to be #1 in all test conditions, then they know what they have to do - make improvements. If they don't care, then that is also fine. Focusing on events like TCEC is a good strategy. In a few years or a decade normal consumer hardware will catch up to that level anyway.