Why CCRL uses different GPU to test different NN Engines ? ..................

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Why CCRL uses different GPU to test different NN Engines ? ..................

Post by Chessqueen »

If you look at CCRL rating of NN Engines they use different GPUs such as GTX 980 for ScorpioNN and GTX 1050 for Alliestein and LCO both use a stronger GPU why not use the same GPU to test all GPU engines for us to compare the different GPU Engines. :?:

PS: LCo and Alliestein use the same GPU GTX 1050, but for ScorpioNN a GTX 980 is used, how do you suppose to compare different NN Engines http://ccrl.chessdom.com/ccrl/404/
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
xr_a_y

Re: Why CCRL uses different GPU to test different NN Engines ? ..................

Post by xr_a_y »

The same way different CPUs are used for others engines ? ...
Chessqueen

Re: Why CCRL uses different GPU to test different NN Engines ? ..................

Post by Chessqueen »

xr_a_y wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:46 am The same way different CPUs are used for others engines ? ...
I know the reason why, but there are only a handful of NN engines, and they should all be tested using the same GPU as LCZero since it will give us a better comparison than when they ate tested on different GPUs :roll:

PS: CCRL will never test LCO on an inferior GPU like GTX 980, so why test Scorpion on an inferior GTX 980 ? As a matter of fact CCRL should also test LCZero and Alliestein on GTX 980 and RTX 2070ti so we can see the difference of GPU performance ratings! A RTX 2070ti only cost $449.00 https://www.pcgamer.com/best-nvidia-gef ... 070-deals/
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Chessqueen wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:29 am
xr_a_y wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:46 am The same way different CPUs are used for others engines ? ...
I know the reason why, but there are only a handful of NN engines, and they should all be tested using the same GPU as LCZero since it will give us a better comparison than when they ate tested on different GPUs :roll:

PS: CCRL will never test LCO on an inferior GPU like GTX 980, so why test Scorpion on an inferior GTX 980 ? As a matter of fact CCRL should also test LCZero and Alliestein on GTX 980 and RTX 2070ti so we can see the difference of GPU performance ratings! A RTX 2070ti only cost $449.00 https://www.pcgamer.com/best-nvidia-gef ... 070-deals/
$450 US = $688 NZ.
I'm not prepared to spend that on a GPU.
I'd rather wait until I can afford a new computer with a decent GPU.

Different people have different financial circumstances.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:29 pm Why CCRL uses different GPU to test different NN Engines ? ..................
Because different testers have different GPUs. I thought that was pretty obvious.

If you don't like our lists them don't look at them. Plenty of others to choose from.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

I'm still quite new to the community of computer chess but often I see people complaining about CCRL methods, TCEC rules or CEGT or ...
Of course it is always welcome I guess to make constructive and valuable remarks so that testing framework and results become more and more reliable.
But first of all it is necessary to thanks, thanks a lot, of those passionate chess lovers that take their time and power consumption to test our engines and thus are great and necessary contributors to the increasing engines level.

!! Thank you testers !!
Kotlov

Post by Kotlov »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:29 pm If you look at CCRL rating of NN Engines they use different GPUs such as GTX 980 for ScorpioNN and GTX 1050 for Alliestein and LCO both use a stronger GPU why not use the same GPU to test all GPU engines for us to compare the different GPU Engines. :?:

PS: LCo and Alliestein use the same GPU GTX 1050, but for ScorpioNN a GTX 980 is used, how do you suppose to compare different NN Engines http://ccrl.chessdom.com/ccrl/404/
How much did you pay to the testers to have reason to complain?
Eugene Kotlov
Hedgehog 2.1 64-bit coming soon...
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

what I have learned here quickly: Don't feed the chessqueen-troll!
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Modern Times wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:17 am
Chessqueen wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:29 pm Why CCRL uses different GPU to test different NN Engines ? ..................
Because different testers have different GPUs. I thought that was pretty obvious.
I knew that but at least test ScorpioNN with a decent GTX NOT GTX980, Let me know if you need money to purchase a RTX 2070 GPU ?
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

RubiChess wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:04 am what I have learned here quickly: Don't feed the chessqueen-troll!
I was going to donate Money to CCRL so they can test with a decent GPU instead of letting people test with a mediocre GTX 980, but some people here are very rude calling me a troll, therefore, I will let those who call me a troll to donate and make CCRL a place that test NN Engines with a decent GPU :shock: