Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 2747
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by Ovyron » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:29 am

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:20 am
g5 was not a move I was expecting so will be interesting.
What were you expecting? Around here 2.e3 was a top alternative, the problem is white has to check a TON of lines which becomes prohibitive.

1. g4 d5 2. g5 e5 3. d4

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

User avatar
Harvey Williamson
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Media City, UK
Contact:

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by Harvey Williamson » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:20 pm


Ovyron wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:29 am
What were you expecting? Around here 2.e3 was a top alternative, the problem is white has to check a TON of lines which becomes prohibitive.
I looked at 2. Bg2 h3 e3 and c4 I did not consider g5 although it is ok.

MikeB
Posts: 3467
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:52 am

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:29 am
What were you expecting? Around here 2.e3 was a top alternative, the problem is white has to check a TON of lines which becomes prohibitive.
I looked at 2. Bg2 h3 e3 and c4 I did not consider g5 although it is ok.
White's scoring % from this position is now down to 40% , typically white's scoring % is near 55% after just a few moves. White can no longer a force a win in this game with best play , but still has drawing chances.

MikeB
Posts: 3467
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:12 am

MikeB wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:52 am
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:29 am
What were you expecting? Around here 2.e3 was a top alternative, the problem is white has to check a TON of lines which becomes prohibitive.
I looked at 2. Bg2 h3 e3 and c4 I did not consider g5 although it is ok.
White's scoring % from this position is now down to 40% , typically white's scoring % is near 55% after just a few moves. White can no longer a force a win in this game with best play , but still has drawing chances.
37 +37.75% 9.42G 8:20.41

moves ranked best during this analysis at one point or another : c3, e3, Qxd4 , Nf3 , Bg2

if you assume for the moment that white's winning chances are zero % with the current position, it would mean the drawing % is near 75.5% and that that blacks's winning chances are are at 24.50%. The tipping point usually comes when the scoring % falls below 25% , as it is at that point the chances of black winning here would be greater than 50%. White still has decent drawing chances here.

zullil
Posts: 5670
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by zullil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:34 am

MikeB wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:52 am
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:29 am
What were you expecting? Around here 2.e3 was a top alternative, the problem is white has to check a TON of lines which becomes prohibitive.
I looked at 2. Bg2 h3 e3 and c4 I did not consider g5 although it is ok.
White's scoring % from this position is now down to 40% , typically white's scoring % is near 55% after just a few moves. White can no longer a force a win in this game with best play , but still has drawing chances.
Stockfish-dev currently has -1.40 at depth 62.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 2747
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by Ovyron » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:09 am

2.c4 would have been the most fun, but I can't guarantee a draw in that one.

1. g4 d5 2. g5 e5 3. d4 exd4 4. Nf3

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

User avatar
Harvey Williamson
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Media City, UK
Contact:

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by Harvey Williamson » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:03 pm


Zenmastur
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:28 am

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by Zenmastur » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:21 am

Ovyron wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:09 am
2.c4 would have been the most fun, but I can't guarantee a draw in that one.

1. g4 d5 2. g5 e5 3. d4 exd4 4. Nf3

Nothing personnel, but I don't think you can guarantee a draw in this line. My analysis is getting high negative scores even on relatively shallow searches. By "high" I mean high enough that the deeper you search the higher the negative scores become.i.e. the position will deteriorate with depth.

Your only hope is that Harvey can't find the proper continuation. Although possible it seems unlikely to me.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 2747
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by Ovyron » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:00 am

I'll let my moves speak for myself, then.

Zenmastur
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:28 am

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by Zenmastur » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:31 am

Ovyron wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:00 am
I'll let my moves speak for myself, then.
Sounds like a plan...
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Post Reply