Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

Post by Harvey Williamson »

[d]3rr1k1/p2q1ppp/1pn3n1/6P1/3pP1b1/P2Q1N2/1P1B1PBP/2R1R1K1 w - - 1 20
I think this is a key position in the game. White has many possible moves.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I only see 2 playable moves by white, by the third option and below black seems to be winning :shock:
Harvey Williamson

When I said many I probably should have said a few. My main analysis stopped at Bg4. I will wait for your reply so I don’t have to analyse other lines deeply.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:17 am [d]3rr1k1/p2q1ppp/1pn3n1/6P1/3pP1b1/P2Q1N2/1P1B1PBP/2R1R1K1 w - - 1 20
I think this is a key position in the game. White has many possible moves.
Hmmm...

I'm not sure there was a key position, but if there was I'm pretty sure this isn't it.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Harvey Williamson

I guess it depends what is meant by key point. For me it is a point where I can not decide what white will do next. So I have paused my deep analysis here until I get the next move.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Note: Zenmastur's past tense implies that the game has already been decided, and we're just discovering the game result that will happen. That he doesn't know if there was a key position would imply that the game has been decided in black's favor, and that nothing that could have changed that has happened since 1.g4.

All that is very scary, but even if this conclusion is correct, it's possible Zenmastur reports on a future position that Harvey missed a winning move, so let's see...
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Still running!?
Jouni
Harvey Williamson

Jouni wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:12 pmStill running!?
As far as I know, yes. Although it has been a week since I made my last move.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I've been thinking about what kind of updates I could be providing. Positions analyzed? (but it's quite possible most of them become irrelevant later on. In fact, half of them will disappear as soon as I make my move) Eval drops? (but eval is meaningless if I play into a -3.00 position Harvey can't win) Lines refuted? (I guess this would be the coolest one, except, Harvey isn't going to help me draw this game, so I'd not like to give him info that makes him win. I could even tell him about moves I promise to not play in future positions so he doesn't need to check them, but this is a competition.)

I guess I'll settle into saying that I've been analyzing this game for several hours almost daily, and that in total I have analyzed this position (from the time Harvey moved, so all the time I analyzed this position before we arrived to it doesn't count) for more than 44 hours of effective analysis (which, if I had to make a move right now, would become about 22, since about half have been for the move I'm not going to play, whatever it is). In other words, if I had abandoned my life and stopped doing anything else but analyzing this game non-stop, I'd have arrived to where I'm now in analysis about 5 days ago.

Finally, eh, all the moves I've played in this game were found (as the top move in the position, at which point they were never overtaken) within 10 minutes to 1 hour. But the move on this position that was within 10 minutes to 1 hour was 20.Kh1, and I know it's losing, so whatever move I'll make, I couldn't have found it earlier than whatever time it takes me.

This proves Harvey is right in that this is a key position, because I'm choosing my endgame. The fun part is that despite black's huge advantage it is white that can force any desired endgame. The sad part is that I haven't seen yet an endgame I'd like to force...
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

How ironic is it that the more effort I put on this game, the longer I take to move so I give the opposite impression? :mrgreen:

1. g4 d5 2. g5 e5 3. d4 exd4 4. Nf3 c5 5. Bg2 Ne7 6. c3 dxc3 7. Nxc3 Nbc6 8. O-O d4 9. Ne4 Ng6 10. a3 Bg4 11. Bd2 Bd6 12. Rc1 O-O 13. Nxc5 Bxc5 14. Rxc5 Qd7 15. Qb3 Rad8 16. Re1 Be6 17. Qd3 Rfe8 18. e4 b6 19. Rcc1 Bg4 20. Rxc6

[d]3rr1k1/p2q1ppp/1pR3n1/6P1/3pP1b1/P2Q1N2/1P1B1PBP/4R1K1 b - -