Zenmastur vs Ovyron No it's not another GROB!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Zenmastur vs Ovyron No it's not another GROB!

Post by Ovyron »

Yeah, you might be the only person in the world that uses that definition of "line" (because a different person might do twice the splits and have twice the "lines" for the exact same analysis.) So you meant "files"...

BTW, waiting for your move.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:43 am Yeah, you might be the only person in the world that uses that definition of "line" (because a different person might do twice the splits and have twice the "lines" for the exact same analysis.) So you meant "files"...

BTW, waiting for your move.
Yeah, it may be a bit weird the way I count my lines but it works. The lines are easy enough to find and use and that's all that really matters.

Yeah, I see it's my move. Since you made such a fuss over your supposed fail-high and I haven't looked at the game in over 10-moves I thought I would take a look. I'm not anticipating finding anything, but who knows! It certainly can't hurt to look. When I'm satisfied that you're FOS as christmas turkey I'll make my move.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I could never get that right, my analysis is a tangled mess and I'm lucky if I can find the right place where I'm supposed to place new analysis (I made that decision long time ago, but never kept notes so I have to make sure I'm on the right tree...)
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:42 am I could never get that right, my analysis is a tangled mess and I'm lucky if I can find the right place where I'm supposed to place new analysis (I made that decision long time ago, but never kept notes so I have to make sure I'm on the right tree...)
Tangled messes were a contributing factor to the only ICCF game I've lost. It wasn't the only factor but it didn't help. Since then, I don't do tangled messes. I used to keep one DB file for each tournament. Now I keep one DB file for each game. If I need to break the game file into 50 different game files to keep all the analysis straight that's what I do.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
mmt
Full name: .

Post by mmt »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:52 am [d]r1bk3r/1pp2p1p/p2p1q1b/3Pn3/4Pn1P/4Q1p1/PPP1N1P1/R1B1KB1R w KQ -
LC0 (pre 0.24.0, 384x30-t60-3070) has this position at -0.27 after 155 mil nodes.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 am Now I keep one DB file for each game.
That didn't work for me either, because of transpositions. At one point I played a game and did lots of analysis for it in its own tree. Years later I played another game that reached the same positions with a radically different move order (one was with 1.e4 and the other with 1.d4 :shock: ), and I had to reinvent the wheel...

When I found out I had already went over them extensively it was too late, and since then most of my efforts are making sure that I'm not transposing into other trees, and keeping them tangled has helped with that (recycling old trees with similar variations currently being played).

I only have 157 trees for the whole of chess, so using your nomenclature I guess one could say I've only examined 157 lines ever. I add 1 tree every three months on average (for recent times). What has worked for me is being highly-ECO aware (and aware of when one ECO transforms into another), and... using dirty names for trees to make them memorable (now I can see a position and realize "oh yeah, these are positions I already examined on the *word used for female genitalia* tree", while using a name like Heart for that tree would make me forget...)

I still panic when the opponent jumps into a different ECO and I have 6 different trees that could have already analyzed positions. Though I only waste like 5 minutes figuring out what tree's more relevant, splitting them into even smaller trees would only make it worse. The tangling lives!
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:48 am
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 am Now I keep one DB file for each game.
That didn't work for me either, because of transpositions. At one point I played a game and did lots of analysis for it in its own tree. Years later I played another game that reached the same positions with a radically different move order (one was with 1.e4 and the other with 1.d4 :shock: ), and I had to reinvent the wheel...

When I found out I had already went over them extensively it was too late, and since then most of my efforts are making sure that I'm not transposing into other trees, and keeping them tangled has helped with that (recycling old trees with similar variations currently being played).

I only have 157 trees for the whole of chess, so using your nomenclature I guess one could say I've only examined 157 lines ever. I add 1 tree every three months on average (for recent times). What has worked for me is being highly-ECO aware (and aware of when one ECO transforms into another), and... using dirty names for trees to make them memorable (now I can see a position and realize "oh yeah, these are positions I already examined on the *word used for female genitalia* tree", while using a name like Heart for that tree would make me forget...)

I still panic when the opponent jumps into a different ECO and I have 6 different trees that could have already analyzed positions. Though I only waste like 5 minutes figuring out what tree's more relevant, splitting them into even smaller trees would only make it worse. The tangling lives!
I don't have any problems finding transpositions. It's all automagical.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Yeah, that's something Chess Openings Wizard could really benefit from (if you're on a position, it'd tell you what are the trees that contain it.) I was really close to getting these features into Banksia GUI by suggesting them, and have the magic of automatic transposition detection across trees added, before realizing giving my opponents access to those features for free would be my biggest blunder. And I now hope COW increases its price so nobody else can benefit. That's the nature of competition.

But at least I've never lost anything. COW has auto-saving so no power outage, OS Crash, or computer freeze can ever make you lose a single analyzed position or comment. Ironically, if I typed these forum messages on the COW's comment window instead of my browser I'd have not lost them when the forum goes offline :shock:
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 am Yeah, that's something Chess Openings Wizard could really benefit from (if you're on a position, it'd tell you what are the trees that contain it.) I was really close to getting these features into Banksia GUI by suggesting them, and have the magic of automatic transposition detection across trees added, before realizing giving my opponents access to those features for free would be my biggest blunder. And I now hope COW increases its price so nobody else can benefit. That's the nature of competition.

But at least I've never lost anything. COW has auto-saving so no power outage, OS Crash, or computer freeze can ever make you lose a single analyzed position or comment. Ironically, if I typed these forum messages on the COW's comment window instead of my browser I'd have not lost them when the forum goes offline :shock:
It just so happens that this morning we had a power outage for 5 minutes. I lost a bunch of work because I hadn't put my computer on the UPS I purchased. So, I took that opportunity to put it on the UPS and do some other needed changes before I started this morning. So, I shouldn't have that happen again. It's so annoying.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I've been having Blue Screens Of Death recently, due to overheating, and it had gotten so severe that I had to stick to using only 3 cores of my CPU. But I'm glad I never lost analysis because of them.