Zenmastur vs Ovyron No it's not another GROB!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zenmastur

Zenmastur vs Ovyron No it's not another GROB!

Post by Zenmastur »

1.e4
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Zenmastur vs Ovyron No it's not another GROB!

Post by zullil »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:13 am1.e4
Let's start with 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4

Black has previously claimed that this opening gives an advantage to Black.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

zullil wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:18 am

He said he want's to play a "regular" game. By "regular" he means we don't pre-arrange an opening. We just play and see what develops.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Thanks for accepting my challenge! I'm glad you went for this as I have my drawn line ready and would like to see it tested. At least I expect the Spanish, but would be even happier with something else...

Let's see how long I last without having to switch on an engine! :mrgreen:

1. e4 e5

[d]rnbqkbnr/pppp1ppp/8/4p3/4P3/8/PPPP1PPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq -
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Omprakash is testing that one.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Ovyron wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:26 am

Omprakash is testing that one.
OK.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:26 am
Thanks for accepting my challenge! I'm glad you went for this as I have my drawn line ready and would like to see it tested. At least I expect the Spanish, but would be even happier with something else...

Let's see how long I last without having to switch on an engine! :mrgreen:

1. e4 e5

[d]rnbqkbnr/pppp1ppp/8/4p3/4P3/8/PPPP1PPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq -
That surprises me. I thought you would play a French!

Hmmm...

Now I'm not sure what I want to play...let me think about it...
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 am That surprises me. I thought you would play a French!
You had it backwards.

What I said, back when Harvey Williamson was attacking my 1.g4, and I thought I could defend it, was that I wasn't sure about being able to defend the French against him. I don't know if you're stronger than Harvey so the French would be suicide!

What I said:
Ovyron wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:44 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:28 amIt seems very likely that the whole line is nearly forced up to this point.
And this is the reason I can guarantee a draw in this line and not, say, in the French. In the French (if I was black) I have no idea what Harvey would play, there's just too many lines and I can't check them all, I could just miss a key move and then be losing, and I wouldn't know it until it's too late.
(emphasis... well, mine)
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 am
Zenmastur wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 am That surprises me. I thought you would play a French!
You had it backwards.

What I said, back when Harvey Williamson was attacking my 1.g4, and I thought I could defend it, was that I wasn't sure about being able to defend the French against him. I don't know if you're stronger than Harvey so the French would be suicide!

What I said:
Ovyron wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:44 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:28 amIt seems very likely that the whole line is nearly forced up to this point.
And this is the reason I can guarantee a draw in this line and not, say, in the French. In the French (if I was black) I have no idea what Harvey would play, there's just too many lines and I can't check them all, I could just miss a key move and then be losing, and I wouldn't know it until it's too late.
(emphasis... well, mine)
I could play 2.Nf3 and be done with it. If you play for a drawing line I think it'll be a long drawn out boring affair. Not much to my liking. I've been wondering how your hardware will fair in a King's Gambit. I'm not sure it will be any better than a Spanish as there are plenty of boring lines here as well and there is much more risk for white. The last one I played was as black and I totally screwed it up and ended up with a draw. I have been wanting to explore some of the more interesting lines so maybe now is the time. I'll look at it and if everything looks good I'll do that. Otherwise a Spanish is my next choice.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Oooh, I have a lot of experience beating the Muzio variations, in case you want to hand me a Knight :mrgreen:

Otherwise, the King's Gambit is very playable, last time I couldn't bust it, so it'd probably provide a much more interesting draw than the Spanish.