Zenmastur vs Ovyron No it's not another GROB!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Zenmastur vs Ovyron No it's not another GROB!

Post by Ovyron »

jp wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:56 am I told you it should have been another Grob. :wink:
All the people that thought 1.g4 was a draw with perfect play, and were willing to defend it, ceased to exist :)
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:13 pm
Zenmastur wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:27 am 43.Kd3
43...c4+ {DRAW OFFER.}
Agreed. 1/2-1/2
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
jp

Post by jp »

Ovyron wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:31 am All the people that thought 1.g4 was a draw with perfect play, and were willing to defend it, ceased to exist :)
Hai will be surprised to learn from you that he no longer exists! :) Why don't you ask him for a game directly?
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

jp wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:44 pm Hai will be surprised to learn from you that he no longer exists! :) Why don't you ask him for a game directly?
Been there, done that (I honestly don't think Hai can defend 1.g4 better than mmt, and if another GROB happens I'd rather be part of the crowd, and hopefully Zenmastur is playing either side, I think he prepared a defense of g4, but never got to play it, it'd be interesting to see how he does against Harvey.)

My biggest problem with this game was starting it like a chicken, preparing my best defense against the Spanish and playing with a draw in hand till the end. After knowing our levels I'd be interested in another game against Zenmastur, where this time I'm white, and try to win with my strongest attack, but I guess we'll see...

Meanwhile...

gg *Handshake*
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks to you both for a hard fought game. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
jp

Post by jp »

Ovyron wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:31 am All the people that thought 1.g4 was a draw with perfect play, and were willing to defend it, ceased to exist :)
Apart from Hai, of course Louis would be willing to defend it, but as he does not play CC, that would just be SF/Leela at high depth.

2.c4 is relatively unexplored. Did you prepare lines on that?
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Thanks Zenmastur for the game and the audience for following, these games on Talkchess have been very memorable!
jp wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:58 pm 2.c4 is relatively unexplored. Did you prepare lines on that?
I have full coverage on:

1.g4 d5 2.g5
1.g4 d5 2.Bg2
1.g4 d5 2.c4
1.g4 d5 2.h3
1.g4 d5 2.e3
1.g4 d5 2.Nf3

My relative coverage of the GROB can be seen on this chessmap, so I actually have more on 2.c4 than on 2.g5, though most of the analysis is on 2.Bg2 (which only means after 2.Bg2 there's considerably more lines to cover, which may be undesirable for both sides; also, that Bg2 is so popular you might end up transposing to this analysis by playing Bg2 later, anyway.)

What I never got to see is how this compares to analysis of the GROB by other people (when I realized this was more about my positions than chess itself.) For instance, the amount of analysis I have on 2.d4 is laughable (somewhere on the top-right box), so perhaps there's a draw there, but it'd need to be for positions that never play the other 6 moves because they'd transpose back to boxes that are well covered.