Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Vinvin
Posts: 4848
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by Vinvin » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:22 pm

2 more engines in the tournament : stockfish_2020_06_0117 and Eman 5.60

Code: Select all

  # PLAYER                              :  RATING  POINTS  PLAYED   (%)
   1 Stockfish_2020_06_0117_x64_modern  :  3371.4   534.5    1000    53
   2 Honey-XI                           :  3359.7  1398.0    2400    58
   3 Stockfish_2020_04_15_x64_modern    :  3357.5  1294.5    2200    59
   4 Eman 5.40 Default                  :  3356.9   610.0    1200    51
   5 Eman 5.60                          :  3356.7   509.5    1000    51
   6 corchess_V6_x64_modern             :  3356.4  1287.0    2200    59
   7 Eman 5.40 FOD=12                   :  3314.4   633.0    1200    53
   8 Bluefish-XI                        :  3303.8  1204.0    2400    50
   9 matefinder_2020_04_15              :  3303.0   789.0    1600    49
  10 Black-Diamond-XI                   :  3286.6   656.0    1400    47
  11 Crystal-2020-04-08-pop             :  3271.8   623.5    1400    45
  12 Houdini-6-modern                   :  3212.2   496.0    1400    35
  13 Bluefish-FD-XI  (Tac=2,Def=N)      :  3049.7   165.0    1000    17

White advantage = 42.24
Draw rate (equal opponents) = 50.00 %

MMarco
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 pm
Full name: Marc-O Moisan-Plante

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by MMarco » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:19 am

Vinvin wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:22 pm
2 more engines in the tournament : stockfish_2020_06_0117 and Eman 5.60

Code: Select all

  # PLAYER                              :  RATING  POINTS  PLAYED   (%)
   1 Stockfish_2020_06_0117_x64_modern  :  3371.4   534.5    1000    53
   2 Honey-XI                           :  3359.7  1398.0    2400    58
   3 Stockfish_2020_04_15_x64_modern    :  3357.5  1294.5    2200    59
   4 Eman 5.40 Default                  :  3356.9   610.0    1200    51
   5 Eman 5.60                          :  3356.7   509.5    1000    51
   6 corchess_V6_x64_modern             :  3356.4  1287.0    2200    59
   7 Eman 5.40 FOD=12                   :  3314.4   633.0    1200    53
   8 Bluefish-XI                        :  3303.8  1204.0    2400    50
   9 matefinder_2020_04_15              :  3303.0   789.0    1600    49
  10 Black-Diamond-XI                   :  3286.6   656.0    1400    47
  11 Crystal-2020-04-08-pop             :  3271.8   623.5    1400    45
  12 Houdini-6-modern                   :  3212.2   496.0    1400    35
  13 Bluefish-FD-XI  (Tac=2,Def=N)      :  3049.7   165.0    1000    17

White advantage = 42.24
Draw rate (equal opponents) = 50.00 %
How would do vanilla Stockfish 11? Something like 3350?

Xavier Bouchat
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by Xavier Bouchat » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:28 am

I don't know how badly this influenced the final result, but it looks like there is a bug in Stockfish's time management when using multiPV. And Bluefish-XI with Tactical = 2 is a hidden MultiPV 4 ...

The variable bestValue contains the score of the last searched PV and shouldn't be used to decide wheter or not the search has to be stopped (code from Honey-XI / Bluefish-XI, the part defined (Stockfish) is still present in current dev Stockfish):

#if defined (Stockfish) || (Weakfish)
double fallingEval = (332 + 6 * (mainThread->previousScore - bestValue)
+ 6 * (mainThread->iterValue[iterIdx] - bestValue)) / 704.0;
#else
double fallingEval = (354 + 10 * (mainThread->previousScore - bestValue)) / 692.0;
#endif
fallingEval = clamp(fallingEval, 0.5, 1.5);


rootMoves[0].score (the score of the best PV line) should be used in place of bestValue.
Only with MultiPV 1 are the 2 variables always equal. With MultiPV > 1, this is only the case when the last searched PV appears to be the best root move or when there are multiple root moves with the same score. In all the other cases the difference will be slight (for example in closed positions) to huge (for example when taking a piece is the only reasonable move).

MMarco
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 pm
Full name: Marc-O Moisan-Plante

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by MMarco » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:13 pm

I ran games with Bluefish tactical=2 at 40/2min repeating, and I can confirm it had a very bad time management, keeping often a second or less for the 10 last moves before the time control with an obvious negative impact on the result. I too found it was almost 300 elo weaker than regular Stockfish which was surprisingly low.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by MikeB » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:48 pm

MMarco wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:13 pm
I ran games with Bluefish tactical=2 at 40/2min repeating, and I can confirm it had a very bad time management, keeping often a second or less for the 10 last moves before the time control with an obvious negative impact on the result. I too found it was almost 300 elo weaker than regular Stockfish which was surprisingly low.
That's about right - tactical 2 is for analysis only but it's very bad at time management and plays much weaker. Last night I also noticed it breaks "go mate x"
Image

Vinvin
Posts: 4848
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by Vinvin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am

Added stockfish_12 who played against 4 opponents : stockfish_20060117, Eman 5.60, corchess_V6 and Bluefish-XI

Code: Select all

   # PLAYER                             :  RATING  POINTS  PLAYED   (%)
   1 stockfish_12_x64_modern            :  3467.9   543.0     800    68
   2 stockfish_20060117_x64_modern      :  3356.9   601.5    1200    50
   3 Honey-XI                           :  3346.8  1398.0    2400    58
   4 Eman 5.60 64-bit POPCNT            :  3346.4   580.5    1200    48
   5 stockfish_2020_04_15_x64_modern    :  3344.7  1294.5    2200    59
   6 Eman 5.40 Default 64-bit POPCNT    :  3344.1   610.0    1200    51
   7 corchess_V6_x64_modern             :  3342.2  1349.5    2400    56
   8 Eman 5.40 FOD=12 64-bit POPCNT     :  3301.4   633.0    1200    53
   9 Bluefish-XI                        :  3291.6  1260.5    2600    48
  10 matefinder_2020_04_15              :  3290.0   789.0    1600    49
  11 Black-Diamond-XI                   :  3273.6   656.0    1400    47
  12 Crystal-2020-04-08-pop             :  3258.8   623.5    1400    45
  13 Houdini-6-modern                   :  3199.1   496.0    1400    35
  14 Bluefish-FD-XI                     :  3036.6   165.0    1000    17

White advantage = 42.61
Draw rate (equal opponents) = 50.00 %

Vinvin
Posts: 4848
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by Vinvin » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:32 am

Following the test on the hard test suite : http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 01#p877501

New tournament with : CF EXT 281220 x64 (C-Fish from 28/12/2020), Bluefish v12-R1, ShashChess 15.1, Stockfish 12, Crystal 291220 and SugaR AI ICCF 1.00
NN file used for all the engines : nn-62ef826d1a6d.nnue

Conclusions : Crystal and SugaR AI ICCF are clearly weaker than others. Bluefish who solved a lot of tests is quite strong in the game play. Note that Bluefish v12-R1 is quite old (beginning of October ?), it could be improved by around 10 rating points by simply importing latest SF improvements.

Code: Select all

Result:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #  name                       games   wins%  draws% losses%   score    los%  elo+/-
  1. CF EXT 281220 x64 SSE41 N   1000    12.5    85.2     2.3   551.0   100.0    35.6
  2. Bluefish v12-R1             1000     8.3    87.7     4.0   521.5   100.0    14.9
  3. ShashChess 15.1             1000     8.2    87.3     4.5   518.5    99.9    12.9
  4. Stockfish 12                1000     7.6    86.1     6.3   506.5    86.5     4.5
  5. Crystal 291220              1000     3.7    83.2    13.1   453.0     0.0   -32.8
  6. SugaR AI ICCF 1.00          1000     3.4    83.1    13.5   449.5     0.0   -35.2

Cross table:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #  name                          score   games         1         2         3         4         5         6
  1. CF EXT 281220 x64 SSE41 N     551.0    1000         x     101.5     103.5     107.5     118.5     120.0
  2. Bluefish v12-R1               521.5    1000      98.5         x     102.0     101.0     112.0     108.0
  3. ShashChess 15.1               518.5    1000      96.5      98.0         x     101.0     109.5     113.5
  4. Stockfish 12                  506.5    1000      92.5      99.0      99.0         x     107.5     108.5
  5. Crystal 291220                453.0    1000      81.5      88.0      90.5      92.5         x     100.5
  6. SugaR AI ICCF 1.00            449.5    1000      80.0      92.0      86.5      91.5      99.5         x

Tech:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech (average nodes, depths, time/m per move, others per game), counted for computing moves only, ignored moves with zero nodes:
  #  name                         nodes/m         NPS  depth/m   time/m    moves     time   #fails
  1. CF EXT 281220 x64 SSE41 N      6629K     1700367     40.2      3.9     79.5    309.9         
  2. Bluefish v12-R1                5482K     1356142     30.0      4.0     75.0    303.2        1
  3. ShashChess 15.1                4310K     1102948     35.1      3.9     78.7    307.4         
  4. Stockfish 12                   4938K     1269195     36.7      3.9     79.7    310.0         
  5. Crystal 291220                 4574K     1087830     33.1      4.2     75.0    315.6         
  6. SugaR AI ICCF 1.00             4395K     1020266     32.2      4.3     71.9    309.9         
     all ---                        4948K     1255466     34.6      4.0     76.6    309.3        1

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:10 pm

Vinvin wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:32 am
Following the test on the hard test suite : http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 01#p877501

New tournament with : CF EXT 281220 x64 (C-Fish from 28/12/2020), Bluefish v12-R1, ShashChess 15.1, Stockfish 12, Crystal 291220 and SugaR AI ICCF 1.00
NN file used for all the engines : nn-62ef826d1a6d.nnue

Conclusions : Crystal and SugaR AI ICCF are clearly weaker than others. Bluefish who solved a lot of tests is quite strong in the game play. Note that Bluefish v12-R1 is quite old (beginning of October ?), it could be improved by around 10 rating points by simply importing latest SF improvements.

Code: Select all

Result:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #  name                       games   wins%  draws% losses%   score    los%  elo+/-
  1. CF EXT 281220 x64 SSE41 N   1000    12.5    85.2     2.3   551.0   100.0    35.6
  2. Bluefish v12-R1             1000     8.3    87.7     4.0   521.5   100.0    14.9
  3. ShashChess 15.1             1000     8.2    87.3     4.5   518.5    99.9    12.9
  4. Stockfish 12                1000     7.6    86.1     6.3   506.5    86.5     4.5
  5. Crystal 291220              1000     3.7    83.2    13.1   453.0     0.0   -32.8
  6. SugaR AI ICCF 1.00          1000     3.4    83.1    13.5   449.5     0.0   -35.2

Cross table:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #  name                          score   games         1         2         3         4         5         6
  1. CF EXT 281220 x64 SSE41 N     551.0    1000         x     101.5     103.5     107.5     118.5     120.0
  2. Bluefish v12-R1               521.5    1000      98.5         x     102.0     101.0     112.0     108.0
  3. ShashChess 15.1               518.5    1000      96.5      98.0         x     101.0     109.5     113.5
  4. Stockfish 12                  506.5    1000      92.5      99.0      99.0         x     107.5     108.5
  5. Crystal 291220                453.0    1000      81.5      88.0      90.5      92.5         x     100.5
  6. SugaR AI ICCF 1.00            449.5    1000      80.0      92.0      86.5      91.5      99.5         x

Tech:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech (average nodes, depths, time/m per move, others per game), counted for computing moves only, ignored moves with zero nodes:
  #  name                         nodes/m         NPS  depth/m   time/m    moves     time   #fails
  1. CF EXT 281220 x64 SSE41 N      6629K     1700367     40.2      3.9     79.5    309.9         
  2. Bluefish v12-R1                5482K     1356142     30.0      4.0     75.0    303.2        1
  3. ShashChess 15.1                4310K     1102948     35.1      3.9     78.7    307.4         
  4. Stockfish 12                   4938K     1269195     36.7      3.9     79.7    310.0         
  5. Crystal 291220                 4574K     1087830     33.1      4.2     75.0    315.6         
  6. SugaR AI ICCF 1.00             4395K     1020266     32.2      4.3     71.9    309.9         
     all ---                        4948K     1255466     34.6      4.0     76.6    309.3        1
latest Bluefish https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... 9-Eval.exe
Image

Vinvin
Posts: 4848
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by Vinvin » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:41 pm

MikeB wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:10 pm
latest Bluefish https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... 9-Eval.exe
Thanks but it doesn't work on my computer :(
My computer can run "SSE41+POPCNT". "Intel SSE4.2"+ "Intel AVX" is OK. But not AVX2.

Vinvin
Posts: 4848
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Tournament with Honey, Corchess, Bluefish-XI and Crystal

Post by Vinvin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:42 pm

Vinvin wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:32 am

Code: Select all

Result:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #  name                       games   wins%  draws% losses%   score    los%  elo+/-
  1. CF EXT 281220 x64 SSE41 N   1000    12.5    85.2     2.3   551.0   100.0    35.6
  2. Bluefish v12-R1             1000     8.3    87.7     4.0   521.5   100.0    14.9
  3. ShashChess 15.1             1000     8.2    87.3     4.5   518.5    99.9    12.9
  4. Stockfish 12                1000     7.6    86.1     6.3   506.5    86.5     4.5
  5. Crystal 291220              1000     3.7    83.2    13.1   453.0     0.0   -32.8
  6. SugaR AI ICCF 1.00          1000     3.4    83.1    13.5   449.5     0.0   -35.2
...
I added Eman 6.80 and SugaR AI 1.30 in the tournament. I removed the 2 weaker engines.
Time control is 3m+2s.
Rating list with Ordo :

Code: Select all

   # PLAYER                           : RATING    POINTS  PLAYED     (%)
   1 CF EXT 281220 x64 SSE41 N        : 3617.7     513.0    1000   51.3%
   2 Eman 6.80 64-bit SSE41 POPCNT    : 3617.4     512.5    1000   51.3%
   3 SugaR AI 1.30                    : 3611.5     502.5    1000   50.3%
   4 Bluefish v12-R1                  : 3609.7     499.5    1000   50.0%
   5 ShashChess 15.1                  : 3603.8     489.5    1000   49.0%
   6 Stockfish 12                     : 3600.0     483.0    1000   48.3%

White advantage = 32.13
Draw rate (equal opponents) = 50.00 %

Post Reply