@CCRL team : oh no, no, no !

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

David Carteau
Full name: David Carteau

@CCRL team : oh no, no, no !

Post by David Carteau »

I just saw that CCRL blitz list had been updated and that "Orion 0.7 NNUE 64-bit" was listed on 41st rank with a rating of 3178, competing with Senpai 2.0.

Please, no !

This version is not the "official" Orion, it's only the result of an experiment which had the only aim to make me understand how neural networks work. I shared the outcome of the experiment with the community only to give an hint on which extend a weak engine like Orion could benefit from such a new paradigm.

Please, as stated here, do not consider that this NNUE version should be added to different ranking lists (CCRL, CEGT, SRL, etc.) : it does not reflect my own work, as it reuse a neural network built and trained for StockFish, and I want Orion remain a 100% original work.

I'm currently working on my own neural network implementation (design and training), to see if I can improve Orion's standard evaluation function. If it is the case, I will be pleased to share the result of my work with the community and then release a new "official" version of the engine (probably... the v0.8 !).

Gabor, Graham and others, could you please remove "Orion 0.7 NNUE 64-bit" engine from the last update ? It would be better like this. Sorry for the trouble, and thanks again for your interest in my recent work :D
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: @CCRL team : oh no, no, no !

Post by Gabor Szots »

Dear David,

I did the test to satisfy my own curiousity. I know it is not official but our list is not exclusive to official versions only, in fact it includes several engines that have never been released.

And, on your web page you write: 'I managed to get my own NNUE implementation'. So in fact there is own work in it.

I suggest we can rename this version to Orion 0.7 NNUE player, as we did with RubiChess. But if you insist, I'll tell Ray to remove it from our list and I'm never going to test a chess engine unless it is explicitly released by its author.

Best regards,
Gabor
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
David Carteau

Post by David Carteau »

Gabor Szots wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:44 am Dear David,

I did the test to satisfy my own curiousity. I know it is not official but our list is not exclusive to official versions only, in fact it includes several engines that have never been released.

And, on your web page you write: 'I managed to get my own NNUE implementation'. So in fact there is own work in it.

I suggest we can rename this version to Orion 0.7 NNUE player, as we did with RubiChess. But if you insist, I'll tell Ray to remove it from our list and I'm never going to test a chess engine unless it is explicitly released by its author.

Best regards,
Gabor
Hum... Ok, I think to rename the engine to "Orion 0.7 NNUE player" is a good - and maybe the best - idea. Now it seems that I have a new long-term and very challenging objective : to reach and then outperfom this version with the "regular" one !
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

David Carteau wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:57 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:44 am Dear David,

Best regards,
Gabor
Hum... Ok, I think to rename the engine to "Orion 0.7 NNUE player" is a good - and maybe the best - idea. Now it seems that I have a new long-term and very challenging objective : to reach and then outperfom this version with the "regular" one !
I think the net name should be added at least and may be initials (as in SV for Sergio Vieri) of the producer of the net in case it is not the author of the engine.
For LC0 and similar programs, CCRL is already doing (nearly) the same.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Guenther wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:31 am I think the net name should be added at least and may be initials (as in SV for Sergio Vieri) of the producer of the net in case it is not the author of the engine.
For LC0 and similar programs, CCRL is already doing (nearly) the same.
Yes.

http://rebel13.nl/download/srl-1000.html

As it is now it's impossible to know the origin of the net and to whom goes the credit, except Igel that has its own created net.

nn-82215d0fd0df
nn-97f742aaefcd

If someone knows the right SV net version number I can change it.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
David Carteau

Post by David Carteau »

Rebel wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:39 pm (...)
As it is now it's impossible to know the origin of the net and to whom goes the credit, except Igel that has its own created net.

nn-82215d0fd0df
nn-97f742aaefcd

If someone knows the right SV net version number I can change it.
Orion 0.7 NNUE uses the 82215d0fd0df network provided by Sergio Vieri. This net seems to having been first released here, on the 12th of August 2020.

I've just modified the "readme.txt" file inside the zip containing the engine to reflect the origin of the network.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Cool, changed it.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.