On-line engine blitz tourney November

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Joost Buijs
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by Joost Buijs » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Henk wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:21 pm
Joost Buijs wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm
Henk wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:16 pm
Joost Buijs wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:48 pm
Henk wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:05 pm
I used same dotnet construction on hgm's server giving no problems. So something is different.
Maybe something has changed on your end.

I know that you had a bad computer crash several months ago, and that you had to setup everything new on another PC, after this event you didn't play on HGM's server anymore.

The server is online 24 hours a day, usually there are several programs logged in and ready to play, so it should not be too difficult to find out why your program does not respond anymore after playing a single game.
When I try "match …" It complains "tournament variable is not set"
I see that your tournament variable is still set (maybe because you left the server before the tourney was finished), now you can't match players without their tourney variable set.

Just login and type: set tourney 0

This should solve it.

With the command: var - you can see the state of all your variables.
Problem was a missing ''go" command. New server does not use it after first move from opponent. I already did a quick and dirty repair. So looks like it is fixed now in my engine.

I used to use 'go"command to change sides during a game when I was playing against my engine for testing purposes. But that won't work anymore. For current implementation can now handle only one "go" command per game.

If I play against fairy-max with winboard running locally on my computer it still has to work with a go command.
It seems you are using CECP instead of UCI, I don't know anything about CECP. Your engine interfaces with Winboard and Winboard interfaces with the server, I really don't understand what the difference can be between locally and remote, but it is good to hear that you solved it.

Daniel Anulliero
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:55 pm
Location: Nice

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by Daniel Anulliero » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Joost Buijs wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:57 pm
Daniel Anulliero wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 pm
Hi Joost
Can you send me an account for Isa ?
All the best
Dany
Hi Daniel,

Done..., I've sent you a PM with the password.

Regards,

Joost
Hi Joost
Thank you very much for the account
See you tomorrow :wink:
All the best
Dany

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by xr_a_y » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Hi, I'd love to try to join with Minic, can I have an account too ?

Regards

voffka
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 pm
Location: Ukraine
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by voffka » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 pm

I'd like to join Igel too if that's okay :)

P.S. I sent a request over e-mail for Igel

Joost Buijs
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by Joost Buijs » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 pm

voffka wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 pm
I'd like to join Igel too if that's okay :)

P.S. I sent a request over e-mail for Igel
I've added an account for Igel, you should have received the password by email.

Joost Buijs
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by Joost Buijs » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:06 pm

xr_a_y wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 pm
Hi, I'd love to try to join with Minic, can I have an account too ?

Regards
I will add Minic, and PM you the initial password.

voffka
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 pm
Location: Ukraine
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by voffka » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Joost Buijs wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 pm
voffka wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 pm
I'd like to join Igel too if that's okay :)

P.S. I sent a request over e-mail for Igel
I've added an account for Igel, you should have received the password by email.
Thanks! Works like a charm! But I need to figure out how to pass engine parameters (Igel is UCI) :)

Joost Buijs
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by Joost Buijs » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:15 am

voffka wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:25 pm
Joost Buijs wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 pm
voffka wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 pm
I'd like to join Igel too if that's okay :)

P.S. I sent a request over e-mail for Igel
I've added an account for Igel, you should have received the password by email.
Thanks! Works like a charm! But I need to figure out how to pass engine parameters (Igel is UCI) :)
Probably you will use Winboard/Xboard or ICSDroneng to connect to the server, they all use Polyglot to translate UCI messages to CECP and vice versa. You can set the engine parameters in the Polyglot.ini file.

You can also try to connect your engine to the server via Arena, but I have no idea how reliable this is.

jorose
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by jorose » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 am

May I have an account for Winter?
-Jonathan

voffka
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 pm
Location: Ukraine
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by voffka » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:21 am

Joost Buijs wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:15 am
voffka wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:25 pm
Joost Buijs wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 pm
voffka wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 pm
I'd like to join Igel too if that's okay :)

P.S. I sent a request over e-mail for Igel
I've added an account for Igel, you should have received the password by email.
Thanks! Works like a charm! But I need to figure out how to pass engine parameters (Igel is UCI) :)
Probably you will use Winboard/Xboard or ICSDroneng to connect to the server, they all use Polyglot to translate UCI messages to CECP and vice versa. You can set the engine parameters in the Polyglot.ini file.

You can also try to connect your engine to the server via Arena, but I have no idea how reliable this is.
Thanks Joost. To make it easy I simply re-compiled Igel with the built-in parameters. Just to make sure I understand the tourney rules - each of us can you any parameters we want, e.g. a lot of memory and threads, we are not limited by tourney rules?

Post Reply