WCSAC: nineteen possible cooks

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Re: WCSAC: nineteen possible cooks

Post by sje »

The EPD analysis output file is line buffered.

I'm not getting a UPS as there aren't any affordable ones that can last for fourteen hours. And it's not worth the money for a cheap, limited UPS just to have a graceful shutdown.
jwes

Post by jwes »

The nice thing about the cheap UPSs is that they handle the short power intteruptions of a few seconds. Those are not uncommon where I live.
sje

Post by sje »

You've got me thinking here. Perhaps I should get a small UPS to power the DSL modem and the wireless router, so I can still use a laptop to connect during extended outages.

I have one of those Apple notebooks with an ambient light sensor that's used both for the display backlight and the illuminated keyboard; I was using it during the recent outage. Its battery is good for about four hours of heavy usage, and that's about as long as I could expect a cheap UPS to take care of the modem and router.

I have a very good, extended capacity lantern for emergency lighting, a necessity during storm season. But it's run by propane, so it's not much help for powering a computer. Combined with some venetian blinds, I suppose I could use it for medium range optical signaling if only there were a local ISP that was morse code compatible.