LearningLemming jumps off a cliff and dies

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CRoberson

Re: LearningLemming jumps off a cliff and dies

Post by CRoberson »

Do you have an executable anywhere? I just did a google search for decompilers and there seems to be several.

I agree with many others. My second program seems better than my first. I thought of several things the second time around that passed me by the first time.

Also, I think the data can still be retrieved. A windows install and reformat just messes up the allocation table. The data is still there.
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Sam Hamilton wrote:... I may have a really old version of the code floating around...
Sam,

Sorry to hear of the misfortune. I hope you can get back on the saddle quickly and with not too much pain.

I use Mozy (www.mozy.com) for my backups. I have the paid version which is $5 per month but there is a free version that would suffice for most chess programmers. You can not beat an off-site backup solution and I highly recommend Mozy as it's great value and not too intrusive.

Best regards,

Steve
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Hey Steve
We have not seen you in a while. Welcome back.
Bill :D
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Bill Rogers wrote:Welcome back.
Bill,

Cheers - it's nice to be missed :lol:

I've been lurking but work has been squeezing the time I can devote to computer chess. Don't worry I'm not going anywhere.

Overworked regards,

Steve
jswaff

Post by jswaff »

BubbaTough wrote:... I may have to sulk for a while before deciding to go back to that version or start fresh.

-Sam
So what is the verdict Sam? What does the future hold for Lemming? Enquiring minds want to know.

--
James
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

LearningLemming is being rebuilt...slowly because of a heavy work schedule. I am taking the opportunity to make a more elegant move gen and eval structure, though maybe not better. The new version should not be as dependent on lazy eval, which will allow for a less materialistic style of play. I may take a version for a spin on ICC soon, just to see the joy on people' s face as they suck my rating down from 2700 to 2400.

It will probably be a while before I put in opening exploration and auto-book creation (might end up doing something slightly different here this time anyway) so I may have to find some polyglot book to support any competitive chess spelunking urges LL might have.

-Sam