Programs on the USCF member list

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Programs in chronological order of joining

Post by bob »

sje wrote:
CRoberson wrote:IThe only way I know to get a rating is to have a USCF rated match with a person instead of entering a tournament.
At a price. US$5 per match and US$0.50 per game were the numbers the last time I looked.

--------

How about the Europeans? Have there been many OTB tournaments that allowed program participation? Are there any today?
also, matches between computers were explicitly disallowed years ago, because of anticipated abuse by commercial companies to establish a high-rating that used to be the main selling point people looked at. Computer vs computer and computer vs human matches were not ratable the last time I checked, although that was many years ago (maybe late 1980's...)
sje

Re: Programs in chronological order of joining

Post by sje »

bob wrote:also, matches between computers were explicitly disallowed years ago, because of anticipated abuse by commercial companies to establish a high-rating that used to be the main selling point people looked at. Computer vs computer and computer vs human matches were not ratable the last time I checked, although that was many years ago (maybe late 1980's...)
My take is that the USCF still allows program vs human matches as long as:

1) Both players are USCF members; also, possibly that the human player must have an established rating.

2) The rating service money (see above) is paid to the USCF.

3) The match is run under the supervision of a USCF certified tournament director.