what is the secret of rybka

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: what is the secret of rybka

Post by Michael Sherwin »

mjlef wrote:Searching on the web for Rybka information I found a Chinese page with fascinating information. Here is a translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools

I really like advice 'like "eat like soldiers" and "horse-bottom line soldiers"!

:-)

Mark[/url]
I would suppose that the interest in programming western chess has lagged behind in China by several decades. This most likely has been caused by at least these three reasons:

1) Western chess is/was not as popular in China.
2) The modern fast PC has not been as widely available.
3) A lack of chess programming theory translated into Chinese.

It is clear by this paper that things are changing and I suspect that a flood of new chess programs will soon follow. One remarkable thing to me is, that this paper is the closest thing to a modern book (approach) that I have seen in a long time. I can imagine that the best book ever written on chess programming will soon be written in Chinese and I will not be able to read it. :cry: We have so many talented and knowledgeable chess program authors here in the west that could write a fantastic modern book on chess programming, but they don't. One good book about the workings of Crafty, Fruit/Toga, Glaurung and other noteworthy chess programs would be worth more than a 1,000 open source programs as an aid to understanding. So okay, a book of the required magnitude is not going to be written, because of monetary concernes--understandable. But, somewhere there should be at least one 'filthy-rich' person, that is interested enough that would be willing to commision such a project, for no other reason than for the advancement of chess programming knowledge. It is way, way overdue!
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
mjlef

Re: what is the secret of rybka

Post by mjlef »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
mjlef wrote:Searching on the web for Rybka information I found a Chinese page with fascinating information. Here is a translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools

I really like advice 'like "eat like soldiers" and "horse-bottom line soldiers"!

:-)

Mark[/url]
I would suppose that the interest in programming western chess has lagged behind in China by several decades. This most likely has been caused by at least these three reasons:

1) Western chess is/was not as popular in China.
2) The modern fast PC has not been as widely available.
3) A lack of chess programming theory translated into Chinese.

It is clear by this paper that things are changing and I suspect that a flood of new chess programs will soon follow. One remarkable thing to me is, that this paper is the closest thing to a modern book (approach) that I have seen in a long time. I can imagine that the best book ever written on chess programming will soon be written in Chinese and I will not be able to read it. :cry: We have so many talented and knowledgeable chess program authors here in the west that could write a fantastic modern book on chess programming, but they don't. One good book about the workings of Crafty, Fruit/Toga, Glaurung and other noteworthy chess programs would be worth more than a 1,000 open source programs as an aid to understanding. So okay, a book of the required magnitude is not going to be written, because of monetary concernes--understandable. But, somewhere there should be at least one 'filthy-rich' person, that is interested enough that would be willing to commision such a project, for no other reason than for the advancement of chess programming knowledge. It is way, way overdue!
I agree. Just recently I bought a used copy of the great book "Computer Chess II" by David E. Welsh and Boris Baczynskyj. I loved that old book. We need another David E. Welsh to write this!

Mark