bugs in hash tables

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: bugs in hash tables

Post by Michael Sherwin »

PK-4 wrote:I was intrigued by the beauty of the problem and the failure of strong engines to find the right move b8a6 with deep search. So I added some code to the endgame knowledge base of my engine as described by the following pseudocode:

Code: Select all

//nobles are N,B,R,Q
if(lone rivalside king)
{
    if(all ownside pawns on one rookfile)
    {
         if(ownside has no nobles or only bishop of wrong color)	
        {
            if(rivalside king stands on or adjacent to queening square)
                return DRAW;
        }
    }
}
//Q. Why do the indents disappear?
Not surprisingly, my engine now finds b8a6 at search depth of 3.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Uri Blass wrote:It is correct that I only need the last 50 non reversable moves for repetition but I want also to support analyze when the human can take back moves and having one big table for all the game is the simplest solution.
OK, I see. To implement takeback I remember all moves since the game started (which you have to do anyway, as a hashkey alone doesn't allow you to reconstruct the position). An undo is than performed as starting a new game, and force the first N-2 or N-1 moves.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:It is correct that I only need the last 50 non reversable moves for repetition but I want also to support analyze when the human can take back moves and having one big table for all the game is the simplest solution.
OK, I see. To implement takeback I remember all moves since the game started (which you have to do anyway, as a hashkey alone doesn't allow you to reconstruct the position). An undo is than performed as starting a new game, and force the first N-2 or N-1 moves.
correct but when I have one table for zobrist keys the takeback is more simple because I do not need to calculate the zobrist key when I undo move and it is enough to calculate it when I make moves.

Uri