printing tablebases hits information question

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

printing tablebases hits information question

Post by Uri Blass »

I wonder how do you print tablebase hit information under the winboard protocol.

The winboard protocol gives me no instructions that I can see about it.

In the thinking output there is only
ply score time nodes pv

The following is from the winboard protocol:

"You can use the PV to show other things; for instance, while in book, Crafty shows the observed frequency of different reply moves in its book. In situations like this where your engine is not really searching, start the PV with a '(' character:
0 0 0 0 (e4 64%, d4 24%)"

They do not give the example of tablebases and I wonder if the protocol allows me simply to write (tbhits=1000) at the end of the pv.

Another question is what do you consider as tablebase hit
Every time that you try to find a position in the tablebases or everytime that you find it?

The question is also if looking for tablebases give a significant speed reduction only in case of finding them or also in case of not finding them

I look for the tablebases only after capture or promotion that lead to 5 piece tablebases positions but it is possible that the computer does not have part of the 5 piece tablebases.

Uri
bob

Re: printing tablebases hits information question

Post by bob »

Uri Blass wrote:I wonder how do you print tablebase hit information under the winboard protocol.

The winboard protocol gives me no instructions that I can see about it.

In the thinking output there is only
ply score time nodes pv

The following is from the winboard protocol:

"You can use the PV to show other things; for instance, while in book, Crafty shows the observed frequency of different reply moves in its book. In situations like this where your engine is not really searching, start the PV with a '(' character:
0 0 0 0 (e4 64%, d4 24%)"

They do not give the example of tablebases and I wonder if the protocol allows me simply to write (tbhits=1000) at the end of the pv.

Another question is what do you consider as tablebase hit
Every time that you try to find a position in the tablebases or everytime that you find it?

The question is also if looking for tablebases give a significant speed reduction only in case of finding them or also in case of not finding them

I look for the tablebases only after capture or promotion that lead to 5 piece tablebases positions but it is possible that the computer does not have part of the 5 piece tablebases.

Uri
that is exactly the solution. The PV is not parsed by winboard so you can add whatever you want...