Would someone be interested in programming....

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Would someone be interested in programming....

Post by Ovyron »

So, does it only support ttf files?
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I guess so. I did not change anything in the basic mechanism for accessing and interpreting the fonts; it is still as Allessandro Scotti made it. I just expanded the number of piece types Winboard can support. In the native bitmap mode of Winboard the Queen-side alternatives for Rook, Knight and Bishop just show up as copies of of their King-side counterparts.

Perhaps I should have a go now at changing the board size as well. I have no idea how difficult this will be; one problem is that Winboard defines board width and height though the same constant BOARD_SIZE. So I would have to go through the entire code to decide in every place where this constant is used if it refers to the height or width of the board, and specify it accordingly...
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

hgm wrote:I guess so. I did not change anything in the basic mechanism for accessing and interpreting the fonts; it is still as Allessandro Scotti made it. I just expanded the number of piece types Winboard can support. In the native bitmap mode of Winboard the Queen-side alternatives for Rook, Knight and Bishop just show up as copies of of their King-side counterparts.

Perhaps I should have a go now at changing the board size as well. I have no idea how difficult this will be; one problem is that Winboard defines board width and height though the same constant BOARD_SIZE. So I would have to go through the entire code to decide in every place where this constant is used if it refers to the height or width of the board, and specify it accordingly...
You could also leave the constant and just make it uniformly bigger, and somehow invalidate the extra squares. Just a hacker's thought.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Wow! I have a user-selectable board size now, through command-line options /boardWidth and /boardHeight. 8-)