Lock-Free Programming on AMD Multi-Core Systems

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gerd Isenberg

Lock-Free Programming on AMD Multi-Core Systems

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Zach Wegner

Re: Lock-Free Programming on AMD Multi-Core Systems

Post by Zach Wegner »

Yikes. Looking at the algorithms they have makes me think of how much of a implementational nightmare it would be to do this in my program. My code is complicated enough already!
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:Might be interesting...
http://ein.designreactor.com:8080/amd_d ... .jsp?id=89
This is a more general solution that scales to a zillion processors smoothly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_t ... nal_memory
bob

Post by bob »

Zach Wegner wrote:Yikes. Looking at the algorithms they have makes me think of how much of a implementational nightmare it would be to do this in my program. My code is complicated enough already!
Right. The idea is old. The details are difficult to deal with. And unless you go absolutely ape with locks, they are _not_ a big deal in a typical chess program running on a reasonable number of processors (at least 16)...
Mangar

Post by Mangar »

Hi,

I like the idea of a "lockless exchange". It may save me some locks without much overhead. How is it implemented in a most portable way (intel, amd, windows, linux ..)?

Greetings Volker
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Mangar wrote:Hi,

I like the idea of a "lockless exchange". It may save me some locks without much overhead. How is it implemented in a most portable way (intel, amd, windows, linux ..)?

Greetings Volker
Hi Volker,

I guess intel/amd is not an issue with recent processors.
Win-Api has InterlockedCompareExchange* to implement CAS
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms683560.aspx

Atomic operations package for Linux found here
http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/qp ... nload.php4

Cheers,
Gerd
Allard Siemelink

Post by Allard Siemelink »

In bright, I use this:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.2.2 ... ltins.html

or actually I wrap these in macro's such that the Interlocked* functions that Gerd mentioned are used when compiling with vc++ instead of gcc.

Mangar wrote:Hi,

Greetings Volker
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:Might be interesting...
http://ein.designreactor.com:8080/amd_d ... .jsp?id=89
I know next to nothing about how to make a multiprocessor chess program. However, using hash tables as an example my first thought would be to do the following when reading and writing to the hash from different threads. Include a counter byte (or bits) in the hash record and when reading or writing the first thing that I would do is increment the counter. Then read that counter back and if the value is one, it is safe to read or modify. If the counter is more than 1 I decrement the counter then loop back and try again. When done reading or writing I decrement the counter and continue on. Seems like a cheap solution since reading from and writing to the same hash record at the same time would not be all that common. But I guess that another thread could get in its own increment between the increment and read back of the first thread, but that would simply keep both threads from accessing the hash record. That condition should clear itself and one thread would gain access. Just some thoughts.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Ratta

Post by Ratta »

Yeah, the idea of the (atomic) counter is not new, for instance linux kernel has spin locks that are actually just counters that can be locked for reading (and there can be many readers) or writing (and there can be only just one writer an no readers). Still, you require atomic primitives to operate on the counters, because one increment in such as var++ could actually mean read/increment register/write. On the other side i don't know if it is worth using them to protect hashtable entries, but i use them to protect the nodes of the virtual stack of my iterative search function, in order to achieve quick local locking (ie i don't have one big lock).
Regards!
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Thanks, do the atomic counters increment first and read second like I suggest? Anyway, 'nothing new under the sun'.

Just a further thought about what I suggest would be to, in the case of the hash file, not loop back to read or write. So a few reads or writes are missed amoung millions. The speed gained by not waiting around should more than offset that.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through