Has programming chess improved your own play?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swami

Re: Has programming chess improved your own play?

Post by swami »

Ryan Benitez wrote:No, I it has hurt my play. I used to study chess now I program in my spare time.
Either Way, You still contribute to the chess world, That's what matters, really. :)

your altruism is highly valued and your contributions are much appreciated, keep up the good work!

great to see fruit consistently getting 2nd placings in Thorsten's tournament, can't wait for chess 64 to come into the arena.
swami

Post by swami »

btw, not necessarily programming, but watching engines play engines in blitz is quickest possible way to improve your chess. I had a huge leap in strength at playchess, 2 years ago I used to have 2000-2100 playchess ratings, now my rating is already hovering around 2400's - 2600's.

you need to spend just 3 hours watching engines play each other in the weekend, just like a movie. going through played games is tedious, you need to watch at the same time they are playing.
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

swami wrote:btw, not necessarily programming, but watching engines play engines in blitz is quickest possible way to improve your chess. I had a huge leap in strength at playchess, 2 years ago I used to have 2000-2100 playchess ratings, now my rating is already hovering around 2400's - 2600's.

you need to spend just 3 hours watching engines play each other in the weekend, just like a movie. going through played games is tedious, you need to watch at the same time they are playing.
Yes, i agree totally, that a great way to learn. What i do when watching games, is actually play the game, picking my preferred move, then compare it with the move played by the engine.

Regards
Dave
swami

Post by swami »

David Dahlem wrote:
swami wrote:btw, not necessarily programming, but watching engines play engines in blitz is quickest possible way to improve your chess. I had a huge leap in strength at playchess, 2 years ago I used to have 2000-2100 playchess ratings, now my rating is already hovering around 2400's - 2600's.

Yes, i agree totally, that a great way to learn. What i do when watching games, is actually play the game, picking my preferred move, then compare it with the move played by the engine.

Regards
Dave
well, watching the engine play other engine does really help you in strategy, plans, development, pawn structures, king side attacks etc

additionally you need to learn combinations/tactics/sacrifices etc on your own, engines are pretty good at these, but when watching them make sacrifices and combinations hardly help you in your understanding...

so my advice is that you need to solve all the wsac, wac epd test suites on your own without the help from engines, as well as watching the blitz games between engines...and you will improve tremendously, I can apple-solutely guarantee it!