64-bit pgo with msvc 2008

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Will Singleton

64-bit pgo with msvc 2008

Post by Will Singleton »

I have pgo working with the 32-bit compile, but I was wondering about 64-bit. Using a 32-bit machine, I guess you can't profile a 64-bit app. So, would I have to build the instrumented version, send it off to someone with a 64-bit machine to profile, then use that to build the optimized version?

If so, would someone with a 64-bit machine care to help me run the profile?

Will
Onno Garms

Re: 64-bit pgo with msvc 2008

Post by Onno Garms »

Will Singleton wrote:I have pgo working with the 32-bit compile, but I was wondering about 64-bit. Using a 32-bit machine, I guess you can't profile a 64-bit app. So, would I have to build the instrumented version, send it off to someone with a 64-bit machine to profile, then use that to build the optimized version?
If you plan to build a 64 bit version you should run it yourself. There might be bugs that occur only in a 64 bit compile. I sometimes had bugs that occured only on a specific platform, a specific compiler or only in 64 bit mode / 32 bit mode. Also you might want to test the effects of code changes on speed.

Simple 64 bit hardware is less expensive then the minimal edition of visual studio that supports pgo (professional edition).
Will Singleton

Post by Will Singleton »

Onno Garms wrote:
Will Singleton wrote:I have pgo working with the 32-bit compile, but I was wondering about 64-bit. Using a 32-bit machine, I guess you can't profile a 64-bit app. So, would I have to build the instrumented version, send it off to someone with a 64-bit machine to profile, then use that to build the optimized version?
If you plan to build a 64 bit version you should run it yourself. There might be bugs that occur only in a 64 bit compile. I sometimes had bugs that occured only on a specific platform, a specific compiler or only in 64 bit mode / 32 bit mode. Also you might want to test the effects of code changes on speed.

Simple 64 bit hardware is less expensive then the minimal edition of visual studio that supports pgo (professional edition).
True, but the msvc2008 downloadable trial version I have is free. :) And it has pgo.

You make a good point re testing 64bit versions. It would be problematic to debug 64bit issues without a local machine. I actually have a couple 64bit machines, but no OS. But I noticed it's tough to find a copy of win xp pro 64bit for sale. And the 64bit Vista is too expensive.

I see, however, that Dell is selling their xps 420 with the E8500 cpu, and they offer vista ultimate. I'm assuming that vista ultimate also comes with 64bit vista.
Carey

Post by Carey »

Will Singleton wrote: True, but the msvc2008 downloadable trial version I have is free. :) And it has pgo.

You make a good point re testing 64bit versions. It would be problematic to debug 64bit issues without a local machine. I actually have a couple 64bit machines, but no OS. But I noticed it's tough to find a copy of win xp pro 64bit for sale. And the 64bit Vista is too expensive.

I see, however, that Dell is selling their xps 420 with the E8500 cpu, and they offer vista ultimate. I'm assuming that vista ultimate also comes with 64bit vista.
The retail version gives you a choice, but for OEM, you are stuck with whatever they give you. They may or may not give you both 32 & 64 bit versions to choose from.

(Having said that, if you can extract your Vista Ultimate product key from the installed OS, and your OEM digital certificate, and them get a 64 bit dvd, you could go ahead and install the 64 bit version and OEM activate it. But that's a bit of effort.)

If you do want to buy XP64, it's still around... Check PriceGrabber, PriceWatch, and other shopping agregators. Just make sure you can get 64bit XP drivers... Odds are good you'll have trouble and wont find all of them. A friend spent weeks to get enough to get his system up & running, provided he used a seperate network card. (Also, the 64 bit XP drivers probably aren't going to get updated too often. So if they are buggy, you are stuck with them for a while.)

However, if all you are wanting is a 64 bit version of Windows, check Microsoft's site for free trial versions of XP64 and the various server OS's they offer.

The trials last anywhere from 90 days to 180 days, depending on what you grab. Heck... grab a few dozen trial keys and you wont need to ever buy a copy....

You should be able to find free downloadable trials for XP64, Win2k3/64 at least, and probably Win2k8/64 server as well.

Finally, if you don't have 64 bit hardware, I'm pretty sure that the Qemu emulator can pretend to be a 64 bit computer, even on a 32 bit system. I don't know how well it works, but it might work well enough for those who don't have a real 64 bit system but are wanting to make sure their program will still run right if somebody does happen to compile it as 64 bit.